Sign in to follow this  
jeno26

Cockpit Texture/Lighting Troubles

To start off, this is a problem I've had since the 77LR. Now that I've downloaded SP1 and the 77W, I am seeing the same problem.

I am seeing blocky patterns and streaks across my black cockpit displays, dashboards, and wings and it's driving me insane! They are present in both daytime and nighttime, but are exponentially more visible during night flights (the patterns become worse as I turn on dashboard lights). I am starting to think that this is a shading/light setting issue as landing lights on the ground also creates odd colors and textures.

Here are a few examples (the patterns inside the cockpit are usually much worse)

24qoh2c.jpg2zz0z6u.jpg

4kzaz5.jpg

I am using an Nvidia 770 with 16x CSAA Antialiasing, 16x Anisotropic filtering, and multisampling. 

I have seen this on the MFD display as well. I am not sure what reason there is for it.

I also observe this (kind of like a moiré pattern)and it is a little bit annoying, specially on the MFDs. This also happens to me with the NGX, but the way the displays brightness is controlled in the 737 makes it possible to get rid of the "blueish" background, leaving it totally black, and thus eliminating the problem. Unfortunately, in the 777 you can't do this apparently. If someone comes up with a solution (I tried several AA settings to no avail), it would be very much welcome. 

I also observe this (kind of like a moiré pattern)and it is a little bit annoying, specially on the MFDs.

The photos I posted did not fully capture the patterns on the MFDs, but it looks exactly like it! ^

It's not only hurting my eyes, but also the experience... Any help would be appreciated!

Any help would be appreciated!

Don't use odd zoom levels.  Usually when you see people noting the moire pattern issue, they're operating at a pretty low zoom level.  One really doesn't need to go below .70, and keeping it between .70 and 1.00 mitigates it pretty well (and is more realistic in a rendering sense - despite lacking periph).  Watch as you change the zoom and you'll see it get better/worse.

As far as the wing issue goes, this is intentional.  If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the dynamic wing flex and a couple other issues.

Kyle Rodgers

Just a shot in regard to the MFDs:

Have you tried turning off the master brightness and adjusting each MFD (and FMC if needed) until the pattern is gone?

I had a bluish pattern in the NGX and was able to resolve by working on the brightness of the respective displays.

Hope this helps!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Don't use odd zoom levels.  Usually when you see people noting the moire pattern issue, they're operating at a pretty low zoom level.  One really doesn't need to go below .70, and keeping it between .70 and 1.00 mitigates it pretty well (and is more realistic in a rendering sense - despite lacking periph).  Watch as you change the zoom and you'll see it get better/worse.

As far as the wing issue goes, this is intentional.  If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the dynamic wing flex and a couple other issues.

I've tried using a zoom level of .60 and .70 and it does make the patterns go away. But consequently, as you stated, it becomes hard for me to effectively monitor the cockpit given that I am running a single monitor set up. I've also noticed that if I use a higher zoom setting and then use the keyboard to further "zoom" out, it makes the patterns go away, but if I go back far enough, the computer registers me as part of the seat and renders my mouse unable to click any buttons.

Just a shot in regard to the MFDs:

Have you tried turning off the master brightness and adjusting each MFD (and FMC if needed) until the pattern is gone?

I had a bluish pattern in the NGX and was able to resolve by working on the brightness of the respective displays.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I found that individually adjusting the brightness makes the patterns worse!

I've tried using a zoom level of .60 and .70 and it does make the patterns go away. But consequently, as you stated, it becomes hard for me to effectively monitor the cockpit given that I am running a single monitor set up. I've also noticed that if I use a higher zoom setting and then use the keyboard to further "zoom" out, it makes the patterns go away, but if I go back far enough, the computer registers me as part of the seat and renders my mouse unable to click any

The patterns will only go away at a zoom level of 1. That's how moire patterns work...

Additionally, perhaps it's because I fly planes in real life, and I've been taught a proper instrument scan, but I'm not understanding the need for low zoom levels and "maintaining awareness of the cockpit environment." Keep the zoom .7 or better, the moire pattern won't be terrible, though it'll be there. Everything you need is right in front of your face. Glance over at the EICAS from time to time, but there's no need to keep it in an intense scan like the PFD. The attention grabbers are still in your line of sight and will alert you to EICAS anomalies as appropriate.

The low zoom level thing is something I still chalk up to an odd simism.

Kyle Rodgers

I eliminated this effect by using sparse grid super sampling with Nvidia inspector.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

I eliminated this effect by using sparse grid super sampling with Nvidia inspector.

Will try this once I switch over to Windows 7! Windows 8.1 is giving me too many headaches with the yoke disconnects...