Sign in to follow this  
Vargveum

Getting the 777 just made me love the NGX more

There is something about the 737NG... its still a real pilots airplane. You need to know what you're doing in the flight deck to get it to fly true. 

It helps that I have spent the last years learning how to fly that thing and have every flow down to a science, yet to put that much commitment into the 777. Plus I like the way the NG flys better anyway.

It just doesn't have the character of the NGX;  just doesn't "live and breathe" to the same degree as the smaller bird.

You can add taxi cameras, weather radars and every bell and whistle under the sun, but if the heart isn't quite there, it's just not going to compete with the NGX; the best flight sim addon ever released.  

I have the 777-200LR/F and the 777-300ER and love them both, but I absolutely agree with Craig's comments above.

Plus, I just prefer getting into the smaller airports that you can't get into with the bigger birds. I can't see doing the River visual approach to RWY 19 at KDCA in a 777.

The type of flying done in the NGX just feels more rewarding...

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

To me the 737 gives a better experience simply because of superior FPS. 

With the 737 I get around 20FPS at high detailed airport such as Flytampa Athens. With 777 I do 8-11FPS in same situation, seems like SP1 massively reduced the peformance in VC for me. 

Regards,

Joona L

I bought the T7 without knowing it only had a virtual cockpit and just the LR version in the beginning. Both sucks because I hate the virtual one and who flies the LR?! Today I also bought the 300 just for the weather radar and you have the normal liveries. After 15 minutes in flight I closed it and went back to the 737NG. I love the FMS though.

If PMDG brings out virtual cockpits only they've lost a costumer. Glad that I only have to switch to virtual to start and shutdown the engines withh the 73NG!

John

I bought the T7 without knowing it only had a virtual cockpit and just the LR version in the beginning. Both sucks because I hate the virtual one and who flies the LR?! Today I also bought the 300 just for the weather radar and you have the normal liveries. After 15 minutes in flight I closed it and went back to the 737NG. I love the FMS though.

If PMDG brings out virtual cockpits only they've lost a costumer. Glad that I only have to switch to virtual to start and shutdown the engines withh the 73NG!

John

John, you didn't need the -300ER for the weather radar -- it's a SP1 addition that would work even if you had only the -200LR / F. 

And yes, their next projects probably won't have 2D panels. I can see this isn't a good thing for some folks.

I love both, but find myself flying the NGX more often. I love the mechanical nature of it.

Click click click click clack. Most pilots find the trim wheel annoying but I love it all.

Iordan

Very interesting to see the number of people with so much passion for the NGX despite its age. PMDG should really be proud of themselves creating such a masterpiece and I hope seeing this support will inspire them to even further perfecting it.

Richard Åsberg

Richard: In my mind the NGX is just the perfect match for FSX. Realism and system depth perfectly balanced with resource demand. Furthermore it is a versatile aircraft in the real world flying anything from say 6 hour charter flights to 30 minute city hops. I think that is why so many people find such enjoyment with it in FSX after "all these years".  

And yes, PMDG should be very proud of it.

There must be a number of reasons why it's the most common airliner in the world some of them mentioned here.

Although virtually it does feel good "piloting" such an aircraft.

Richard Åsberg

Richard: In my mind the NGX is just the perfect match for FSX. Realism and system depth perfectly balanced with resource demand. Furthermore it is a versatile aircraft in the real world flying anything from say 6 hour charter flights to 30 minute city hops. I think that is why so many people find such enjoyment with it in FSX after "all these years".  

And yes, PMDG should be very proud of it.

exactly right.  well said.

Just for fun here's a couple of NGX video's. The first one was made in my old i7 920 machine and the second on my i7 4770k machine:

IMO Both capture that feeling of immediacy that is unique to the NGX.

My only caveat is that I have hot tried the 777.

I love the A2A C172 and the Cherokee and the Majestic Q400 and I love the

My Milviz stuff but the NGX is my all time favorite FSX Addon.

When I am not so busy and pre-occupied with making bucks I plan to mater this

Aircraft. I hope it is released soon for P3DV2.

Hmmmm......I guess I'm odd man out here. With the 777 and SP1 I am able to complete flights with no OOM's that definately OOM with the NGX. In fact when I first installed the 777 SP1 last week and did a short 3 state hop in the midwest USA I had forgotten to dial back my LOD in the fsx.cfg to my usual 6.5 which is what I usually run the NGX and MD-11 at. I ran the whole flight at LOD 10 gate to gate with the 777 over MSE. I then proceeded to complete 2 more flights in the 777 with the same LOD of 10. So for giggles after the last 777 flight I decided to replicate it with the NGX and sure enough on final approach the sim crashed with an OOM error.

I never ever look at my frame rate meter, but instead judge my performance by how smooth my head movements are with trackir. The 777 and NGX are about equally smooth on my Sandy@4.8-5.0ghz. The only time now with the 777 I need to dial back the LOD is at Flightbeam and FSDreamTeam airports. I agree the NGX has a little more character, but I'm working on some textures for the 777 to dirty it up a smidge and add a couple custom placards. I had to fully redo the NGX glareshield graphic as it was just too blurry for me on the relatively close in panel zoom setting I normally fly with. The 777 glare graphic is perfect stock for me. I think the 777 grows on you with more use, at least it has me. I still enjoy the MD-11 and Jetstream too. The only PMDG aircraft I can't stomach anymore is the 747, and I'm really looking forward to V2 of it. Just my 2 cents :)

Chris

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg