Sign in to follow this  
WilliamB

Can MS Flight be started and flown independent of Microsoft Live

Cool!  Thanks for the update!  I'm going to have to hold off though as I'm going to try to do a multiplayer flight on the 13th before the servers are shut down.

With the changes you are adding here, is a new multiplayer possible in the future?

@KavindaJD  I look forward to seeing your steps as well!

I think it is definitely possible.  All the APIs and hooks are there, but the logistics of creating a robust multiplayer system that can deal with closed NATs, firewalls, etc are probably beyond the scope of what I am looking to do.  If enough people use the toolkit I might think about it.  I'm hoping to put some BI into the app soon so I can get a better idea of usage, etc.

Hello folks,

Sorry for the delay! The actual solution to this problem is actually available at Xbox.com and specifically on this thread. This fix may not be needed now since Steve has released his GFWL less version of the Toolkit. However, if you are still interested in getting you DLC back then read on...

Step 1 - Fully un-istalling and re-installing GFWL Live

I know this might be a pain, but some elements of the program is not completely unistalled.

1.     Un-istall the program from Control Panel
2.     Delete GFWL AppData. This can be done by locating to the following location: “C:\Users\ASRock\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive.” Delete the Folder named “GFWLive”.
3.     Re-install the software. You already know how to do this.

Step 2 - Patching the Application

As I have mentioned, this solution has derived from patching the application which includes patching the file. I have done the hard-work for you because it is a bit complicated:
  • Go to your GFWL live install location. Normally it is under “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE\Client.
  • Back up “XLiveServices.dll” to somewhere safe. 
  • Download this patched .dll and replace it by extracting it to the GFWL install directory. 

Step 3 - Finishing up

Hold on we aren't done here! One final step...
  • Download miniweb and extract it to the “C” directory. You will have something like “C:\miniweb” and inside, there should be a folder named "htdocs".
  • Download this edited .xml file and save it inside the “htdocs” folder.
  • Start Command Prompt by typing cmd into the Search programs and files box in your start menu.  Make sure to run it as Administrator (Right Click on cmd --> Run as Administrator).
  • Write into the command prompt the following:
    cd <Your miniweb folder directory>
    For example, it is….      
    “cd C:\miniweb” for me (without quotes)
  • Next type in “miniweb -p 80” (without quotes!)
  • Do not exit the command prompt and now launch the GFWL Client! It should now load without problems!

The steps from the solution have been simplified for better clarity and I have done some steps for you. 
All credit goes to StudentAdler97 for finding this solution!

I hope I have helped you out!
Good luck and if you do have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Not working for me... Went through the thread and did the edits manually as well. :(

Got it finally!  Problems with the config.xml.  Additionally my shortcut was launching GFWLive.exe, which errored out, but GFWLClient.exe is what worked.

I'm going to say because of me.  I did a copy/paste from the pastebin linked on page 5 of that thread, and it messed some things up.  The key was going to http://127.0.0.1/config.xml in my browser to test.  I had previously gone to just 127.0.0.1 and did get the screen showing the http server was running.

Hi Steve,

Just to be sure, I downloaded and started 1.0.12. Flight Tool Kit.

Then I started MS Flight as you suggested.

How can I tell if my Flight profile has been extracted from their server and saved locally?

TIA

-Tom

KavindaJD,

Followed your instructions on how to access MS Flight DLC.  Was not successful.  Deleted GFWL Live from Control Panel.  Deleted GFWLive.  Folder for GFWLive was C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\GFWLive.  Backed up XLiveServices.dll and downloaded your XLiveServices.dll into GFWL install directory C:\programfiles(x86)\Microsoft Games for Windows-Live\Client.  Downloaded "Miniweb" extracted into C:\Miniweb.   Downloaded your modified  config.xml file into C:\Miniweb\Htdocs.  Opened cmd prompt entered cd C:\Miniweb.  Entered miniweb -p 80.  cmd prompt did not recognize it as command. 

Have you got any thoughts on what may be wrong or what I have done wrong?  For you interest my virus software did not like the site containing the XLServices.dll.  I had to turn the virus software off to get the .dll.   I am running 64bit Windows 7.  I am working from an Administrator account but right click on CMD did not bring up "run as administrator option.

I may have to get the toolkit but wanted to try your fix first.

Thanks WilliamB

You should see this file: %localappdata%\microsoft\Flight\Players\<some numbers and letters>\ProfileData.xml

Check the C:\Miniweb directory. You should have a folder: htdocs and a single file: miniweb.exe.

You could try going to (for Windows 7) Start->All Programs->Accessories and right click on that one to do run as admin. Lots of times I'll just type it in, and wait for the search box to bring up the result for cmd.exe.

After you get it to run make sure it is running by going to http://127.0.0.1/ and http://127.0.0.1/config.xml

Edit: Also I don't think the deletes are 100% necessary. They clean it up for sure, but aren't required. I walked a friend through the patches and we skipped all that completely.

@WilliamB,

I always like to do a clean un-install. It disposes of overwritten or unnecessary files present after a program has been unistalled. 

The main problem you are facing is with the miniweb. The solution that Waterman has given above should work.

Just to clarify, no virus software likes .dll's from a foreign computer so you don't have to worry about that. However, the original thread with the solution which I posted required patching the .dll with a Hex-Editor. I am not sure if the .dll is encrypted, but I did do a fresh install and the client was not run by me! 

Try the solution posted by Waterman. Tell us if you encounter any more problems!

KavindaJD and Waterman981,

Thanks for your help.  I did not have miniweb.exe in the miniweb folder as result of how I set it up from the zip file.  Once I added miniweb.exe to the miniweb folder I was able to access my DLC. 

I now realize that neither Microsoft nor Xbox care about those who continue to want access to their DLC content for MS Flight.  Thanks again to you KavindaJD and StudentAdler97 before for your efforts to keep MS Flight going! 

WilliamB

All I can say is a big huge THANK YOU for the link to re-install all of my DLC.  I have tried for over a week talking to X-box, Microsoft, (bah) and other folks to attempt to re install after I had a disc failure. Did the link to re-install the client, and behold, all of my DLC showed up.

Thanks Again.

Ed

Glad it worked for you guys!  And thanks again KavindaJD for finding the fix and posting it here!

I was able to do a last group flight with my community tonight.  We originally formed from Microsoft Flight and the simple way to join multiplayer with friends.  Although over the last 1-2 years since development ended we've moved more to FSX, P3D, and DCS... we still remembered our roots and the sim that brought us together.

As the multiplayer shuts down tomorrow I'll remember it with a fond heart.  (And keep hoping Stonelance is able to get a new MP working :wink:)