Sign in to follow this  
dihelson

What alternatives for night lights to use with Megascenery Earth ?

Perhaps the main problem with MSE is that it doesn´t have night textures. I find this worst than not having 3d buildings. How do we solve this problem ? Is there some other software which put lights over MSE scenery in the cities and roads ? I tried FTX global, doesn´t work, BTW, after we use some kind of photoreal scenery, it´s difficult to goback and use things like FTX again, all cities look alike...In Prepar3Dv2, city lights are even brighter than with FTX Global.

UTX has night lighting - I have it for Europe and it works very well. It's not quite as good as other night lights though, as the lighting doesn't extend very far into the distance so is only really visible below about 6000ft. But it's better than nothing.

Perhaps the main problem with MSE is that it doesn´t have night textures.

It uses the default night lighting. I have shown it here several times in this forum. Not great but there really is really great night lighting program except the one recently released from Aerosoft which I heard has some great night lighting but only in certain areas (on vacation so the name escapes me now). I use MegasceneryX for some of my night lighting as it had night excellent night lighting for those products. MegasceneryX SoCal is the one I am currently using with MSE V2 SoCal. Awesome stuff! It's too bad the developers for MSE V2 decided to use the default night lighting but it works. I have almost every State in the USA. I dont like flying at night though. Very difficult in FSX/P3D/X-Plane so avoid flights into dark areas (at least for me; guess I need more practice).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It uses the default night lighting. I have shown it here several times in this forum. Not great but there really is really great night lighting program except the one recently released from Aerosoft which I heard has some great night lighting but only in certain areas (on vacation so the name escapes me now). I use MegasceneryX for some of my night lighting as it had night excellent night lighting for those products. MegasceneryX SoCal is the one I am currently using with MSE V2 SoCal. Awesome stuff! It's too bad the developers for MSE V2 decided to use the default night lighting but it works. I have almost every State in the USA. I dont like flying at night though. Very difficult in FSX/P3D/X-Plane so avoid flights into dark areas (at least for me; guess I need more practice).

Best regards,

Thanks for the answer, firehawk44,

I only use Megascenery Earth, not Megascenery X, I tried to access the page, but it points to an old version of MSE, so I gave a try at night and raised the bright of my monitor to maximum. I deactivated things like UTX which could interfere, but recently I installed FTX ( which is deactivated now ). Well, indeed I saw lights over a city, but blocks of them. They turn ON and OFF by layers, and i don´t know why. For instance, in Kansas City, look the picture I made: Some parts are illuminated, some don´t, and they change all the time: I couldn´t have ALL CITY illuminated.

14728726545_8ff00dd1da_o.jpg

It´s strange. I saw in Megascenery Earth website that they indeed provide night textures. See:

Frequently Asked Questions

What Scenery Type Do I Get When I Purchase MegaScenery?

MegaScenery & MegaSceneryEarth provide 2 types of scenery in each package. You get daytime scenery created from high resolution aerial photographs and you get MegaScenery's famous custom NightScene Technology that gives you spectacular night scenery where pretty much every light emitting source is identified and illuminated. The effect is as stunning as night flying in real life.

The question is: How to make them work the correct way ???

Thanks for the answer, firehawk44,

I only use Megascenery Earth, not Megascenery X, I tried to access the page, but it points to an old version of MSE, so I gave a try at night and raised the bright of my monitor to maximum. I deactivated things like UTX which could interfere, but recently I installed FTX ( which is deactivated now ). Well, indeed I saw lights over a city, but blocks of them. They turn ON and OFF by layers, and i don´t know why. For instance, in Kansas City, look the picture I made: Some parts are illuminated, some don´t, and they change all the time: I couldn´t have ALL CITY illuminated.

14728726545_8ff00dd1da_o.jpg

It´s strange. I saw in Megascenery Earth website that they indeed provide night textures. See:

Frequently Asked Questions

MegaScenery & MegaSceneryEarth provide 2 types of scenery in each package. You get daytime scenery created from high resolution aerial photographs and you get MegaScenery's famous custom NightScene Technology that gives you spectacular night scenery where pretty much every light emitting source is identified and illuminated. The effect is as stunning as night flying in real life.

The question is: How to make them work the correct way ???

I'm thinking of buying that MSE 2.0 Hawaii add-on, it seems pretty cool. I saw that as well but on another part of their site it said they won't be doing night lighting until all of the day-light ones have been released (which at this point they have, I think). 

I've got a question of my own, do the FTX global lights bleed through? It would be great if they do, I love doing dawn/dusk landings so it would be difficult without a little bit of lighting

Off topic: I'm thinking of getting the Fsdreamteam Hawaii airports along with the MSE Hawaii 2.0, do any of you have them and if so are they worth the price?

I'm thinking of buying that MSE 2.0 Hawaii add-on, it seems pretty cool. I saw that as well but on another part of their site it said they won't be doing night lighting until all of the day-light ones have been released (which at this point they have, I think). 

I've got a question of my own, do the FTX global lights bleed through? It would be great if they do, I love doing dawn/dusk landings so it would be difficult without a little bit of lighting

Off topic: I'm thinking of getting the Fsdreamteam Hawaii airports along with the MSE Hawaii 2.0, do any of you have them and if so are they worth the price?

Hello, Jetsflier,

Unfortunately, FTX Global doesn´t bleed through. I tried all sorts of things here. I´m just using MSE v2 on daylight and FTX Global when flying at night, just disabling MSE on scenery library, MSE night textures as I saw here are too dark. I even find FTX Global dark also. The best night texture I saw was on default Prepar3Dv2  even better than FTX Global. One could then install MSE 2 on Prepar3Dv2 and fly daylight and deactivate at night....

All the best

Will it be possible to transport Prepar3Dv2 textures fo FSX ?

If you have either FTX Vector or UTX, you should see 3D lights even with MSEv2 as that is vector scenery and will show even with photoreal.  These are just the 3D light objects I'm talking about here.  The ground itself will be photoreal and not lit up at all.  But, it still helps a little.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

There is no Night Scene technology in MseV2 but there is in the MegaSceneryX products and that's what I was referring to about above when you combine MegaSceneryX SoCal with MSE V2.  If there is no MegaSceneryX for an area covered by MSE V2, then you will see the blocky night lighting (which I agree is not very pretty).  If FTX Vector stuff works as good as others above are saying, then this might be the solution as MSE V2 developers have stated they have no plans to provide night lighting like they did for MegaSceneryX products.  This may or may not change in the future as I'm sure they continue to look at ways to improve a product.  I own most of the MegaSceneryX products too so I can install those products to get night lighting for, say, Las Vegas too.  Hawaii too.  I personally think that MSE V2 products work best and look best in daylight hours and the product was mainly developed for daytime flying.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Comparison:

PREPAR3Dv2  with FTX Global + FTX Vector + MSE 2  - This is supposed to be Indianapolis at night

14727823524_76c5190cd2_h.jpg

Now, Prepar3Dv2 default, same region: Indianapolis ( No FTX, no Vector and no MSE )

14707190856_1967784902_h.jpg

Comparison:

PREPAR3Dv2  with FTX Global + FTX Vector + MSE 2  - This is supposed to be Indianapolis at night

14727823524_76c5190cd2_h.jpg

Now, Prepar3Dv2 default, same region: Indianapolis ( No FTX, no Vector and no MSE )

14707190856_1967784902_h.jpg

That 2nd shot makes me want to get on board with P3D! It's too bad certain developers have not gotten to creating addons for that program yet!

That 2nd shot makes me want to get on board with P3D! It's too bad certain developers have not gotten to creating addons for that program yet!

I Agree with you. And IMHO, day and night textures of prepar3Dv2 are even better than FTX Global, much better and not so repetitive.

So what you are say are you would like:

Color corrected higher resolution photoreal ground textures

Water masked lakes, rivers and shorelines

non-repetative textures

custom night textures

custom night lighting

custom 3D autogen buildings

custom 3D autogen vegetation (not just forests)

all working in sync on top of the photoreal ground.

Did I miss anything?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

So what you are say are you would like:

Color corrected higher resolution photoreal ground textures

Water masked lakes, rivers and shorelines

non-repetative textures

custom night textures

custom night lighting

custom 3D autogen buildings

custom 3D autogen vegetation (not just forests)

all working in sync on top of the photoreal ground.

Did I miss anything?

I think this is the desire of most FSX and Prepar3D users, or am I wrong ?

I would like at least that MSE V2 had a decent night texture, decent water masks and decent shorelines. For the price we pay for the software...

You would think everyone would want that but some actually like photoreal without any stuff on top of it (not me I like lot's of 3D candy on top of it), I guess for others it's their wish to keep it minimal for high altitude flying, their idea of realism, or just maximizing FPS.

Oh, forgot one more thing -  blending the edges into the default scenery.  And all at a competitive price.

Ok, got it.   We're working on it....

(Oooops, I see this could be read as being sarcastic...  were not :wink: )

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You would think everyone would want that but some actually like photoreal without any stuff on top of it (not me I like lot's of 3D candy on top of it), I guess for others it's their wish to keep it minimal for high altitude flying, their idea of realism, or just maximizing FPS.

Oh, forgot one more thing -  blending the edges into the default scenery.  And all at a competitive price.

Ok, got it.   We're working on it....

(Oooops, I see this could be read as being sarcastic...  were not :wink: )

That´s because some people think small...they only think that improving quality, turning FSX as real as possible will have worst FPS. Our machines are improving. A time will come in which  the machine will not be a problem for fps anymore. I think flying only at high altitudes with no 3D "real" buildings have no meaning. I wish FSX or Prepar3D could reproduce the complete world in absolute 3D real, just the way it is. Perhaps one day we´ll come very near to it. I hope! - A good attempt to it is the France VFR scenery.