Sign in to follow this  
windshearDK

2 operative questions

First of all its ok if you refer to the page in the FCOM, I just find them a bit confusing to search in.

• Can anyone please explain how to do a bleedless take off, with A/C still being delivered to the passengers(IAH/DXB weather setting)

• What's the trick to writing coordinates into the FMC? What's the logic behind the abreviated ways to write them? 

Thank you for any help!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

For the first one: I was too lazy to read the manual about bleedless takeoffs so I switched off engine bleeds while apu running and canceled eicas warning. Did the trick but sure not realistic I think.

You can enter waypoints into your FMC like 5520N or 60N20 or so. Or you can enter coordinates directly where no waypoint exists: N4711.1W11080.1

I can help with the first. It sounds like you want to do an APU-to-Packs take-off. With your APU running, go into the THRUST LIM page and type APU-SEL into the LSK line where you'd normally put your temp derate value. Leave your APU running after engine start and through the take-off phase. You can turn off the APU immediately after the autothrottle sets CLB thrust. 

@ Alex: But doesn't the bleed valve be closed first?

@Stefan: Also about the coordinated I heard from AOA that there is a certain trick to punching in coordinates, they said it was in the FCOM, but not where

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Can anyone please explain how to do a bleedless take off, with A/C still being delivered to the passengers(IAH/DXB weather setting)

Leave the APU running.  Type APU in the scratch pad and upselect it to the assumed temp line on the THR LIM page.

@ Alex: But doesn't the bleed valve be closed first?

Don't forget that this is a highly automated plane.  I don't think it's necessary to touch it.

What's the trick to writing coordinates into the FMC? What's the logic behind the abreviated ways to write them?

There's no "trick," though there are short and longhand ways (and I'm guessing the shorthand is the "trick" they mentioned).

Since this comes up relatively often, forgive the self-quote:

Depends on what you're trying to do.

Tip:

The full lat/lon format is right on the PERF INIT page.

The posts above illustrate the various formats, which are:

Full - S3200.0E13242.8

Short - S32E132

Short 2 - 32S32

Short 2 is really weird, and to be honest, remembering its quirks isn't worth saving the 2 extra keystrokes from the other Short form.  It uses N for north latitude, west longitude.  E for north latitude, east longitude.  S for south latitude, east longitude.  W for south latitude, west longitude.  The position of the letter in the group designates if the first digit of the longitude is a 0 or a 1.  The letter will be at the end if the longitude is less than 100, and will be the third character if the longitude is 100 or greater.

FCOMv2 11.31.13.

Kyle Rodgers