Sign in to follow this  
ramrunner800

Dx-10 Without The Fixer

Now that Steve's DX-10 fixer is no longer available for purchase, is there a route that we can follow to switch to DX-10?  I have really been thinking of doing it lately, and was quite dismayed to see the fixer disappear.

You can use the original Steve's DX10 shader mod, found here in the avsim library (must be logged in to the library to see this):

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=DX10+shader&CatID=root&Go=Search

Download the latest version listed.  IIRC the zip contains a readme with installation instructions.  I used this mod for months, with excellent results, until the Fixer was released.

Unfortunately this is but a piece of the Fixer app; it does not include the ability to fix add ons such that they are DX10 compatible, enable add on cockpit shadows, nor the ability to easily tune feature settings (all of which the Fixer app provides).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Doing DX-10 without this Fixer thing looks like a massive pain in the neck to me.  Frankly, I'm rather ticked off about the situtation.  When I went to buy the fixer, card in hand, I came to find out that it had been discontinued only a week before. 

why doesnt he offer it with limited support.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I get the feeling that there may be other issues at play as well but I hope everything gets sorted and he starts selling again. Great little program from a very talented developer.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Considering the timing of this, if you consider Steve actually did fix broken DX10 elements within FSX, maybe DoveTail games has made him a lucrative offer surrounding their steam release of FSX.  If so, this would be a huge bummer for those that missed out.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

If that's so, then I think it is pretty ridiculous that he doesn't just say that.  I'm hardly familiar enough with the situation to make this comment, but the story that I have heard repeatedly, is that he just got fed up with some people who were hounding him for customer support, and because some were ungrateful, then he just said the heck with everybody.  That is the impression that is out there. 

If the Dovetail/Steam situation is the real reason behind this, then for the record, I'm not EVER going to purchase some Steam version of FSX!

My statement is 100% guess; I too have read the real reason Steve pulled it off the market was as you state.  Let's just hope that my case stays purely fictitious.

Rod O.