Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I Can't Believe What I Was Missing...what A Dummy!

....a dummy for going so long in either P3D 2.2 or FSX WITHOUT upgrading the last thing I never 'thought' would be needed....what a dummy......

I have just taken off from Halifax, Nova Scotia, bound north-east to go along the coast up towards a circle tour of Cape Breton Island.  The entire simulator has been transformed by adding two days ago, Pilot's Global 2010FSX world-wide custom mesh file.

WHAT A DUMMY!

Nova Scotia is drop-dead gorgeous!  

I had thought (and I obviously didn't know what I was missing...ignorance is NOT bliss... :blink: ) that standard P3D and FSX mesh looked pretty darn good.  Yeah...well..I had nothing to compare that to. Now I do...and I recommend you get this product, or ANY custom high-resolution mesh files...as quickly as possible.  To not have them...is not giving you what both engines of P3D and FSX actually can render to the goal or reality.

What I dummy I was for years on end.  Don't you be....if you are not already enjoying world-wide what hi rez custom mesh can render to the eye-balls....

Ses

Yes, a good mesh is absolutely essential for realism and immersion.  Photoreal/satellite scenery is pointless without it, there is no sense of depth.  

Yes, a good mesh is absolutely essential for realism and immersion.  Photoreal/satellite scenery is pointless without it, there is no sense of depth.  

Amazing, what you posted here...I just put the flight (East Coast north-bound in Nova Scotia, headed for Cape Breton Island...and EXACTLY what you posted, is what I came here to type...the depth and the new 3D dimensionality of the harbors and coves as they meander inland, and then book on out to the north side of the coast...is such a new level of immersion...that the smile factor on my face...the satisfaction factor in general...is over 100 percent.  Denali...it just looks so much more incredible and realistic...then even before I added custom mesh two days ago. I was satisfied then...but now, am WAY beyond that level....

Back to the coves and harbors...I'm almost going to make the transition from mainland, to the island itself...and in P3D 2.2....of course you know it is drop-dead gorgeous! :lol:  

I bought PILOTs FSG 2010 FTX in April, a month after I bought Vector (as I have to spread out my add-ons, or my budget would implode) and it really adds a LOT to the FTX scenery. It is expensive (but it does cover the entire planet), and I have a fairly tight budget, but it was totally worth every penny. I guess if you fly mostly in FTX regions (that you've already invested in), it might not add much for you . . . but there are not yet any FTX regions for Northeastern US/Canada (which is where I fly the most), and FTX Global, Vector, and the FSG 2010 mesh do a pretty good job of making my area a lot more realistic looking. And VFR flights are much easier to fly (and more enjoyable), when you can recognize landmarks during your flights.

My home area is in the the Northern White Mountains, and now I cannot imagine flying in this area without this mesh! Now I actually recognize the mountains and hills, where previously they were flattened and smoothed out (often beyond recognition) . . . now my mountains have multiple peaks again (instead of just one rounded mountaintop) and there are now ravines where they should be (I'm a hiker, so I know these real mountains very well).

Even when you are not flying in a mountainous region, this mesh make the scenery MUCH less flattened out, which makes flying a a LOT more realistic (especially when flying 1000 to 1500 feet AGL).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

so FTX Global and Vector is not as good as Pilot's FS Global ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

so FTX Global and Vector is not as good as Pilot's FS Global ?

The three are all different products designed to work together.

FTX Global - Textures

FTX Vector - Roads, coastlines, etc.

Pilot's FSGlobal - Terrain Mesh

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You give me great feelings my friend.  And a yearning to fly my desk.  I've been really busy and don't dare take a break.  If I'm at my desktop I can run P3D in the background, and I'll do just that more often now.  

Do you have photoscenery for your area? 

would this be worth it for pilots who mainly do IFR flights?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

You give me great feelings my friend.  And a yearning to fly my desk.  I've been really busy and don't dare take a break.  If I'm at my desktop I can run P3D in the background, and I'll do just that more often now.  

Do you have photoscenery for your area? 

No Denali, I do not.  I have never actually warmed to the look of photo-real. Just me...others love it. I am so very looking forward to the Vector 2.0 when ORBX releases it. I think it will be a major milestone for vector programs when it show its face....  Here's a glass of cheer to that, my friend!

Ses

would this be worth it for pilots who mainly do IFR flights?

I believe so, Clayton.  You are always in the eye-candy zone when taking off for an ascent to the FL assigned. Same for the descent and touching the numbers....  Then of course, you might get hooked into some 1,800-2,500 feet AGL flying.....because it now has detail and character to hold your interest....

Happy flying, no matter!

Ses

I bought PILOTs FSG 2010 FTX in April, a month after I bought Vector (as I have to spread out my add-ons, or my budget would implode) and it really adds a LOT to the FTX scenery. It is expensive (but it does cover the entire planet), and I have a fairly tight budget, but it was totally worth every penny. I guess if you fly mostly in FTX regions (that you've already invested in), it might not add much for you . . . but there are not yet any FTX regions for Northeastern US/Canada (which is where I fly the most), and FTX Global, Vector, and the FSG 2010 mesh do a pretty good job of making my area a lot more realistic looking. And VFR flights are much easier to fly (and more enjoyable), when you can recognize landmarks during your flights.

My home area is in the the Northern White Mountains, and now I cannot imagine flying in this area without this mesh! Now I actually recognize the mountains and hills, where previously they were flattened and smoothed out (often beyond recognition) . . . now my mountains have multiple peaks again (instead of just one rounded mountaintop) and there are now ravines where they should be (I'm a hiker, so I know these real mountains very well).

Even when you are not flying in a mountainous region, this mesh make the scenery MUCH less flattened out, which makes flying a a LOT more realistic (especially when flying 1000 to 1500 feet AGL).

Funny Arwen, Mesh was one of the things I really had never given thought to with FSX/P3D.  I thought the standard mesh was great. Boy...was I wrong...but only after buying into the custom deal to see the in use difference!!!

Mitch

My home area is in the the Northern White Mountains, and now I cannot imagine flying in this area without this mesh!

Arwen,

Were you a Ultimate Terrain X user at all? I'm curious how the FTX:Vector package stacks up against UTX when it comes to North American (specifically New England) flying.  (*I'm a FTX:Global customer, an a FSGenesis mesh user, so I'm covered there).

Being OpenStreetMap based, I'm concerned that Vector is lacking in some water data which also plagued X-Plane 10... but I recall that the Vector authors were at least trying to get another water data source to fill in the gaps. Not sure if that ever came to fruition...

Your input is appreciated!

-Greg

Hey Greg,

I did have UTX installed on FSX, but it has been several years since I ran FSX, as it never ran very well on my old PC.  So I cannot honestly remember well enough to accurately compare FSX+UTX to P3D+Vector.

What I can tell you is that Vector does a pretty good job of improving/adding lakes, ponds, rivers and streams in my area . . . a LOT of water features were missing in P3D's (and FSX's) default scenery and Vector 1.15 has correct a good chunk of it.  Vector 1.2 is suppose to be another major improvement, and, as far as I know, it is still scheduled to be release in August.

According to Orbx's Vector 1.20 Development Announcement: "NORTH AMERICA: New coastlines, lakes, rivers for the US (including Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii) and Canada (from a much more accurate source than OpenStreetMap);"

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for their future endeavors then.

Cheers,

-Greg

And what´s the best, FSglobal 2010 or FSGENESIS for USA which has resolution mesh of 10 meters ? ( wow ! )

See my FSX with FSGenesis as mesh and Megascenery Earth 2:

14549855990_536f73e7c2_o.jpg