Sign in to follow this  
dm123

Ngx Cabin Windows Problem

Hello All,

I seem to be having a problem with the cabin windows on my 737. Instead of being able to see through the windows into the cabin when in external view, the view is as if there is no interior. I can see the opposite wing and the scenery behind the other side of the aircraft through the windows instead. I tried reinstalling the plane, but that did not fix it. Any suggestions?

Daniel Miller

I tried reinstalling the plane, but that did not fix it.

Re-instlals rarely ever fix anything, so I suggest taking that as an indicator for the future: re-installs should be your last resort because it's usually user error, or something else causing the issue.  Troubleshoot first.

Any suggestions?

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX.CFG?

Kyle Rodgers

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX.CFG?

Yes I do.

Daniel Miller

Turn off your computer, turn around three times and say "I love PMDG", then turn on your PC and restart. Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

Seriously, check all your texture folders are intact. Normally you have a folder that says 'common' which is read by FSX when it doesn't find the textures in the livery folder. Also do a scan of your hard drive in case that has got corrupted.

Is it with just one livery or is it the same in the PMDG livery? 

Turn off your computer, turn around three times and say "I love PMDG", then turn on your PC and restart. Sorry, I'm in a silly mood.

Seriously, check all your texture folders are intact. Normally you have a folder that says 'common' which is read by FSX when it doesn't find the textures in the livery folder. Also do a scan of your hard drive in case that has got corrupted.

Is it with just one livery or is it the same in the PMDG livery? 

I think I will save that first bit of advice for when I get truly desperate!

All of the liveries are like this. Where are these texture folders and what should I be looking for? I do not see a "common" folder in the FSX texture folder, if that is where I was supposed to look.

Daniel Miller

On the 777 in the there is a folder that says texture.common, this is the folder that contains textures that are used on all models.

You need to find the common files for the NGX, I think it will be the 800 non winglet version. Look in the SimObjects\Airplanes folder for the PMDG 737-800, in there you will find your texture folders, vc folder and there should be a common folder. The common folder contains a copy of all the textures. FSX looks in the texture folder setup, say 'texture.ba' and reads the textures for that aircraft, any that is does not find, ie lights or cabin textures, things that are not airline specific, and then falls back to the common folder.

Okay I found that folder. I did a search in the folder for "cabin" and found "pmdg_737NGX_cabin.dds" and "pmdg_737NGX_cabin_night.dds." However, I don't really know what I am looking for. Any ideas? I could scan the drive, but if the only thing missing is the cabin when looking in from the outside of the plane, could it really be bad enough to necessitate that?

Daniel Miller

You can scan the drive with Windows, just to check the hard drive with windows just incase the place where the files a restored have not become bad segment.

The fact that you can see through the windows, shows that you have the alpha channel in the paint working ok, otherwise you would have grey windows. I'm not sure without checking but it sounds like they are the cabin texture files, you can check yourself with a DDS viewer, there are free ones found on Google. If they are not corrupt and your hard drive passes, then all I can suggest is a ticket to PMDG.

You can scan the drive with Windows, just to check the hard drive with windows just incase the place where the files a restored have not become bad segment.

The fact that you can see through the windows, shows that you have the alpha channel in the paint working ok, otherwise you would have grey windows. I'm not sure without checking but it sounds like they are the cabin texture files, you can check yourself with a DDS viewer, there are free ones found on Google. If they are not corrupt and your hard drive passes, then all I can suggest is a ticket to PMDG.

Okay I will try that. Thank you for your help.

Daniel Miller