Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Orbx Rocky Mountains Leg 5 - Clearwater To Kootenay (Fast & Fun)

Orbx Rocky Mountains Leg 5 - Clearwater to Kootenay (Fast & Fun)

This long leg of the Rocky Mountain tour will take us from the Clearwater River in Idaho to Kootenay region of British Columbia.

Departing Lewiston-Nez Perce County (KLWS) our route will follow the Clearwater river to Dworshak Dam and then turning northwest over the reservoir we will fly 83nm and land at Felts Field (SKFF) in Spokane. From Felts we proceed north (75nm), passing over Sandpoint Idaho before landing at Boundary County Airfield (65S) near Bonners Ferry Idaho. From Boundary County we follow the Kootenai river north passing into Canada near Creston and then follow Kootenay lake to our next stop at Kaslo (CBR2). From Kaslo, fly a heading of 287 into the Selkirk mountains turning right at the first large valley, staying low in the valley, follow it approximately 13nm, where the valley turns sharply to the left, instead climb steeply over the imposing terrain directly ahead, aiming for the gap in the mountains. Passing through the mountain pass head 285 towards the long valley directly ahead. Flying low in the valley you will pass several lakes and the valley will gently curve to the left and you will see Upper Arrow Lake and then land at Nakusp (CAQ5). From Nakusp follow Upper Arrow Lake northward to the split and then follow the much longer western arm to our final destination Revelstoke (CYRV).

Because this is a relatively long leg I recommend that you chose an aircraft that is fast (250+knts) and fun to fly. Any of the A2A warbirds (Mustang, Thunderbolt, Tomahawk, Spitfire) would be excellent choices as well as the tried and true T28 Trojan. Choose your favorite. En-route aerobatic maneuvers encouraged.

RM5+Mustang.jpg

I will be flying the A2A Mustang in "Factory Fresh" aluminium.  This beautiful paint is by Steve Landau and available here.

Recommended Scenery: Orbx FTX Central Rocky Mountains (CRM) Regional Scenery

Skyvector Flightplan here.

Time: Saturday Jul 26, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) and information sheet about the route is available from the DropBox location here.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Interesting set of trips, thanks.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I'm not going to be able to make this one.  Will have to run it solo.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I'll be in a Lancair IVP. I did reinstall the only A2A warbird I have, the P47, but got fed up with the thing keep bursting into flames! Uninstalled it...again. The times I kid myself I can fly that thing!  :rolleyes: 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

got fed up with the thing keep bursting into flames!

I've been flying the A2A Spitfire this evening in preparation, I can see that keeping it cool on the ground is going to be a challenge.  There won't be any sitting around with the engine running, expect to see mine stopped when we're on the ground.  I'd think I'd better throw in an extra few boxes of starter cartridges.....

I'll be in a Lancair IVP. I did reinstall the only A2A warbird I have, the P47, but got fed up with the thing keep bursting into flames! Uninstalled it...again. The times I kid myself I can fly that thing!  :rolleyes:

Well Ron, you could try the P47 with Accusim turned OFF :wink:

The IVP is respectably fast up high, but there is no substitute for horsepower, don't worry though, we will wait for you.

I'm thinking the P in IVP stands for "Push, Push" :BigGrin:

I've been flying the A2A Spitfire this evening in preparation, I can see that keeping it cool on the ground is going to be a challenge.  There won't be any sitting around with the engine running, expect to see mine stopped when we're on the ground.  I'd think I'd better throw in an extra few boxes of starter cartridges.....

Thanks to Ron there should be plenty of time on the ground for interim maintenance. :smile2:   Remember to check your fuel occasionally, the Spit does not carry as much as the Stang or Bolt.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Well done Roman, post of the week! 'I screwed the pooch'? Eh, whassamatta whichoo Pauli? Go wash ya mout out.

I'm sorry I won't be seeing dat paint. B)

:lol:

I'll be there in a Beech Duke...

BTW, I cannot locate ID46 in my GPS, but S68 is a good substitute waypoint..

Bert

I'll be there in a Beech Duke...

BTW, I cannot locate ID46 in my GPS, but S68 is a good substitute waypoint..

ID46 is Dworshak Heliport, but we don't land there, just follow the river up to the face of Dworshak Dam then over the Dam and Reservoir before turning for Felts Field

26aLetj.png

Excellent flightplan. Should be lots of fun.

The route's passing through Spokane's Felts Field almost compels one of us to take advantage of the local economy and Spokane's world famous Rocket Engineering. I'll be flying their "Royal Turbine" N157JT – in the form of RealAir Simulation's Beech Duke Turbine. (This is a RealAir default paint and Rocket Engineering's first conversion.)

Speaking of the local economy. We'll surely want to sample one of the Skyway Cafe's special treats...the Garbage Omelet.

(PS. If you have UTX Canada installed, you need to disable their "fixed" elevation for Revelstoke (CYRV). Note the thread here.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Damn! I've been trying to reinstall my T-Duke but I'm having huge problems connecting to realair. I'm waiting to hear back from Rob. Two days I've been on this! Dagnabbit! :angry:

Ron, I can't imagine why you would have uninstalled it in the first place!  It's definitely on my short list of GA's to fly.  I've been thinking of taking one around the world following Amelia Earhart's route.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Well, I hope you can get it sorted quickly.  I'm bummed I won't be able to join the gang tomorrow.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1