Sign in to follow this  
CapnSplat

The Big Tour: A Ridiculously Ambitious Trip Around The World

Hello, fellow X-Planers!

I wanted to welcome everyone who frequents the X-Plane forums to my AVSIM blog, The Big Tour. In it, I'll be documenting my undertaking of Lew Doh's flight plan of the same name; this is a massive, meandering circumnavigation of the globe that takes place over seven-hundred and four individual legs and spans over one-hundred thousand nautical miles. (I'm currently about 2% of the way through!)

If you'd like to read more, check out my introductory post. A complete list of entries and recent posts can be found here. If you want to skip straight to the first leg of my tour, you can read it by following this link. It'll be a long-term project for sure, so please feel free to pop in whenever you'd like to check my progress.

In addition to documenting my journey, I'll be sharing various aircraft, scenery, and other addons that I come across. I'm even including some geographical trivia along the way. Hopefully there will be a little bit for everyone!

Thanks for looking, and happy landings!

Thanks, and good luck with your tour! Looks like we've got the same goal, but vastly different ways of going about it. :)

Leg 15 went up last night and includes some views of the Atlas Mountains. Enjoy!

I think this was a very nice idea. I´ve been thinking about doing the same myself. 100000 NM though.. that will take some time to finish. However as a long-term goal I think the idea is brilliant.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I'm really enjoying the apparent increase in long range tours in simulators that are being undertaken and documented. I've recently completed one from New York (ish) to London in the A2A Piper Cherokee (I know that's not X-Plane!) - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I wish you every success on your virtual voyage.

Just thinking, its things we can do like this that make flight simulation great. Something for every aviation enthusiast whatever their preference.

Your post inspired me to think about doing something maybe similar.

Regards

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I've flown a few legs ahead of what you find on the blog right now and I'm in the process of writing them up, so expect to see them soon! (May contain tricky crosswind landings, engine failure, and high pucker factor!) For the time being, leg 16 is up.

Just thinking, its things we can do like this that make flight simulation great. Something for every aviation enthusiast whatever their preference.

Your post inspired me to think about doing something maybe similar.

Regards

Go for it! There's a lot of world to explore in these sims of ours!

I HIGHLY suggest the soundpack by Oovee for that Baron.

Looks like that sound pack was developed for the FSX version; I doubt it will work in X-Plane without modifications. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hey everyone, I came across this post a bit late. Not sure what's happened but...

I took up the challenge of this 'The Big Tour' and have been streaming most of the flights since Algeria.

You can watch on youtube here:

Also streamed live at youtube, and also

Here on twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/marke_one

Some of the flights I am joined by the good friend Carsten from Germany, and we fly using Smart Co-pilot, so we can share the cockpit of xplane.

Enjoy, like and subscribe.

Many thanks

Mark E