Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Blunt Warning: Sign Your Posts- Or...

BTW. How do I stop the e-mail alerts for every time someone quotes me. I really don't need to be notified...

You have full control over that in your User Control Panel and you must have selected that feature at some point..

As for the rest of your post, your name posted in these forums only mean something to PMDG, where they can match up customers to orders. In the absence of any other information; i.e., IP, email address or your own entry of your address or other identifying information, you might as well be Joe Smoe from Nome, Alaska, or Kittioni Dranundalo from Suva, Fiji, as far as anyone else is concerned. So, the answer is, we are protecting your privacy, unless YOU choose to give up more information which we warn against doing in that very same quote of our ToS' you made.

Yes but what about AVSIM's privacy policy. Seems to lead me to believe I have some right to privacy and not being required to provide information the I feel is identifiable information.

Anything you choose put on these public forums cannot be personal data by definition. If you don't want to put it on then simply don't use them.

but I don't seem to recall any point that stated I must publicly disclose my full first and last name to request support.

WRONG !

Imagine if there was no user forum, and you were requesting support from PMDG from their support portal, you would have to DISCLOSE your order no. with your email and that comes with YOUR FULL NAME and ADDRESS as well. 

Now this forum, is also PMDG's support forum. This means , this forum is not only for discussion but also for PMDG Officials to reply back to customers on problems and giving them support. So signing your FULL NAME perfectly makes sense.

You are right. This is your forum and you can makeup any rule you want. I would encourage you to reconsider based on the policy AVSIM established for protecting the rights or their readers. Ultimately your decision. I have spent enough of my time on this issue.

You do realize that much more of your information is already made public by the FAA, right?

Seeing that you're a CFII/MEI, I figured you already knew this.  Apparently someone is paying attention to the wrong issues...

Also, you may want to do some studying on what PII truly is, because you seem to have a broader definition of the actual one...

EDIT:

Based on only what you've put in your signature and profile, and the FAA data (which is publicly shown - to include addresses), I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you have to renew your CFI prior to Halloween.  Right?  Had you not put all your certs in your signature, I wouldn't have had a clue in the slightest.

Kyle Rodgers

You do realize that much more of your information is already made public by the FAA, right?

Seeing that you're a CFII/MEI, I figured you already knew this.  Apparently someone is paying attention to the wrong issues...

Also, you may want to do some studying on what PII truly is, because you seem to have a broader definition of the actual one...

EDIT:

Based on only what you've put in your signature and profile, and the FAA data (which is publicly shown - to include addresses), I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you have to renew your CFI prior to Halloween.  Right?  Had you not put all your certs in your signature, I wouldn't have had a clue in the slightest.

I'd like to know which database allows searches without a last name, as I have used the FAA database a number of times specifically to determine what amount of information can be searched. Regardless I am removing my certificates and my first initial of my last name.

All you did was prove my point. Last names should not be required on this forum. It is too easy to take that little bit of information and compromise someone.

Regardless of this post there are enough other posts to identify me as a real world pilot.

So much for Tom's I can be Jon Doe from Wisconsin.

So much for Tom's I can be Jon Doe from Wisconsin.

Send a letter of complaint to the FAA. They're the ones showing it all, so to speak. If you hadn't put all your certs in your signature, you would not have been "found out".

Using first name and last name does not really identify you..what identifies you is if you provide additional information which helps in authentication..in this case your sig provided additional information.if the database would have listed 30 people with the same name and rating it would not have been easy..when requesting customer support over the phone for anything they just don't ask you your first name and last name.They ask you additional security questions which you had set for yourself.if you put your Facebook profile..your email address in sig then it really helps someone to identify you..but not just a first name and last name..

If I have an issue or require support from PMDG, I will go to their ticket system for support which of course is all verified. It's the only place I have truly received help and information.  Ive never seen any true support here. Others helping others. MAYBE! Most the time just opinions.

Today I was just reading the AOPA magazine..And it had names with photos all over the place..and if not millions it's read by thousands..on news site there are names everywhere ,correspondents name etc..

Using first name and last name does not really identify you..what identifies you is if you provide additional information which helps in authentication..in this case your sig provided additional information.if the database would have listed 30 people with the same name and rating it would not have been easy..when requesting customer support over the phone for anything they just don't ask you your first name and last name.They ask you additional security questions which you had set for yourself.if you put your Facebook profile..your email address in sig then it really helps someone to identify you..but not just a first name and last name..

Giving your full name is already an invasion of privacy. But giving your facebook? You must be kidding me... Seems only europeans care about basic human rights laws and privacy.

Giving your full name is already an invasion of privacy.

No it isn't an invision of privacy in these forums.  You choose to add you name for everyone to see. AVSIM/PMDG don't do any processing of your name - they just leave it on the forum to be seen. If you don't want use your name then don't don't post here. It really is that simple.

If you don't want use your name then don't don't post here. It really is that simple.

And that's exactly why I no longer buy PMDG products.

Glyn... surname not disclosed

No it isn't an invision of privacy in these forums.  You choose to add you name for everyone to see. AVSIM/PMDG don't do any processing of your name - they just leave it on the forum to be seen. If you don't want use your name then don't don't post here. It really is that simple.

Demanding users to disclose their full name, whether they want it or not still applies to the EU privacy laws. It's no excuse as PMDG is basically forcing the user to publicly disclose the name in order to get support that they bought with their own money. It's optional to give your full name to Facebook, but they force you to disclose your real name and if they do use your information for anything foul, they did get a lawsuit from court.

I do not own or use PMDG products so this policy change will not affect me, however I am sick of US companies completely ignoring European/Russian/Worldwide software laws and privacy laws.

If you bought rotten expensive meat from the supermarket and want to return it they ask you to disclose your name publicily, would you really comply with that?

On behalf of PMDG, I am locking this topic. Rob made it pretty clear; if you don't provide your name when you post in the PMDG forums, your message will be removed. Simple. Their forums; their rules. If you wish to participate in these forums, then I would suggest you follow their rules.