Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Blunt Warning: Sign Your Posts- Or...

You may not like it, you may agree with it, but this is the rule that PMDG put on their support forum. When you produce something that you sell and offer a support forum, then you can make up what ever rules you like. I don't like all the rules when I am a passenger on a plane or going through airports. I could just see me trying to board a plane with no ticket, them saying that it is the rule to have one and me saying that I don't agree with it. I'm sure I'd be marched out of the airport.

Rules are made up by people in charge. This is PMDG's rules and if you don't like it then don't post. It could be worse, you could have to have a purchase number to post or even see the forum.

Or maybe you would like all the little urps that pirate the aircraft that people have paid for, be able to get the same after sales service.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Honestly, the support forums should be only accessible to verified owners, much like HiFi (ASN).  For one, it would remove most of the trolls, and stop idiots from asking for support for products they stole.  Plus, it'd free up PMDG staff from having to look up names against the customer database, which is tiresome.

Just checking to see if I did my sig right...

and wiping the coffee off the screen that I spewed with "The Most Interesting Man" post.

Honestly, the support forums should be only accessible to verified owners, much like HiFi (ASN).  For one, it would remove most of the trolls, and stop idiots from asking for support for products they stole.  Plus, it'd free up PMDG staff from having to look up names against the customer database, which is tiresome.

Agreed!

Honestly, the support forums should be only accessible to verified owners, much like HiFi (ASN).

Unfortunately, that sort of feature is not supported by AVSIM's forum software.

Rev. Bill Leaming

Gents,

Thank you for the support of the signing requirement.  A few folks don't agree, which is certainly okay- but compliance is still required and they have been advised as such.

No need to be unfriendly about it.  I think they call it "Cheerful willingness" in the Navy... but Tom would know more about that than me...

I think they call it "Cheerful willingness" in the Navy... but Tom would know more about that than me..

Was that what it was called? I never knew that. I just saluted smartly, said "Yes Sir" and followed orders. And then said some choice words under my breath and got on with it. 

Bill, we could set up a system that required a registration number to get access to the PMDG forums, but Rob and guys would have to hike prices by 20-30% on their products in order to hire the two new guys that would then be needed to moderate and manage the forums (or alternatively hike them by 3% and just have Ryan work more overtime!)... :Devil:

Just a couple points:

1) Before the 777, all of my PMDG products were boxed copies. I never had a problem (but then, I didn't post any questions), but I do hope those who don't have verified orders at the website aren't confronted as pirates automatically.

2) While some might advocate for closed forums instead, I have to say I very much appreciate the open nature of the forums here. It allows buyers to check out opinions on the product, issues they'll run into, and keep up with things like livery availability. Heck, reading about the 777 on these forums was a large part of the reason I didn't wait for the boxed release this time around.

But with all that said, this is a rule I have respected all along and understand.

I understand that rules are rules, I  have obeyed  them. But some posters who are very frequent on here, seem to breeze through without being challenged.

One in particular has made quite a few posts in the last 24 hours and RSR had made a post just below the offender, so he may not have noticed, as the offender is a frequent poster.

Just a first name does not cut it.

Rules are fine, but the policing of them must be consistent.

There might be more compliance if the rule were ENFORCED more often?

"Proud Woodpigeon Supporter" haha love it.

Also, I think it is enforced more than you think, you just can't tell because posts are deleted, people aren't reprimanded to add it followed by deletion if they don't comply. Also, PMDG staff have better things to do than prowl the forums for people who don't add their name to their posts. That's why (IIRC) they said they will be "appointing" new people to be moderators on this forum to make sure rules, like that, are being followed. That was in one of their posts a while back in June I want to say.

(...)

(...)

What should PMDG do about a RW pilot, who doesn't want his posts to be connected to his employment with a certain airline?

Even the PMDG credits mention a 'Captain X' - most certainly not this person's full real name!!!

Guess, there's no rule without exceptions ...

What should PMDG do about a RW pilot, who doesn't want his posts to be connected to his employment with a certain airline?

Even the PMDG credits mention a 'Captain X' - most certainly not this person's full real name!!!

Guess, there's no rule without exceptions ...

Suppose that is the point I am making. If you have rules in place, it must be without exception, and RSR did state that. So we will see :) I cannot believe I used the word "offender" :blush:  Watching too much CSI New York :lol:

See how this pans out since this is the second time  Robert has put out this warning  about  signing your names B)

Suppose that is the point I am making. If you have rules in place, it must be without exception, and RSR did state that. So we will see :) I cannot believe I used the word "offender" :blush:  Watching too much CSI New York :lol:

LOL, RSR even quoted one of my posts, back in the days when only my first name was in my signature ("Boris" :lol:).

And CSI became too boring for me, after release of the PMDG Airbus. Now, why did I install SP1 at all???   :P

I understand that rules are rules, I  have obeyed  them. But some posters who are very frequent on here, seem to breeze through without being challenged.

One in particular has made quite a few posts in the last 24 hours and RSR had made a post just below the offender, so he may not have noticed, as the offender is a frequent poster.

Rules are fine, but the policing of them must be consistent.

Since December 2008 when I joined the Avsim forums, my signature has shown only my first name.  No-one has ever pulled me up on that, so I saw no need to do otherwise though I am anything but a rule breaker - neither by nature nor for the sake of it (plus I'm not a very frequent poster anyway).  But since it is Robert himself who saw the need to re-emphasise this long-standing rule and I have a great deal of respect for him even if I've never met him in person, I have now added my surname to my signature.  Note that a very well-known New Zealand model shares it with me B) .

One good thing that could come out of this is : if posts that do not abide by the signature rule are removed as a matter of course from now on, those tiresome self-appointed forum signature rule police will need to go somewhere else to ply their trade otherwise they'd get bored :clapping: !  Perhaps they can try the third-world country run by and for the benefit of that dictator with the funny suit and bad haircut alluded to by Robert... :drinks:

I'm pleased to note that the offenders' posts have  been removed - despite their protestations that the rules don't to apply to them.

I'd also suggest that there should be no exceptions to the rules. PMDG's time is better spent in developing aircraft than in wasting its time on those who think they are a special case.

I'm pleased to note that the offenders' posts have  been removed - despite their protestations that the rules don't to apply to them.

I'd also suggest that there should be no exceptions to the rules. PMDG's time is better spent in developing aircraft than in wasting its time on those who think they are a special case.

Post #81 http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446943-handling-dynamics-with-redesigned-fbw-sytems/page-6

Is an example

Totally agree with this rule :) Specially when it comes to piracy. Not only does it hurts developers like PMDG but it also hurts our hobby because developers are discouraged to put effort into their products if they realize that eventually everyone is going to have it without paying.

But I see significant development in piracy protection in latest aviation softwares.

and keeping in view the sales of PMDG's 737 and 777 , it will encourage more developers to jump onto aviation simulation.

Coming from experience with having about a billion order numbers with orbx, I find that system to be VERY annoying.

Additionally, it sidesteps the cordial nature of seeing people's actual names.

Cordial nature?    I don't see any cordial nature in the original post...  just condenscending sarcasm and arrogance.  Sorry for being honest, I know it doesn't always get well received.

I have no issue with the signature thing, but just don't appreciate the 'blanket all' bad attitude shown in the OP.  It smacks of "I'm so busy in this business, I've forgotten that these irritating people have paid $90 for our product, and make our business successful".

Clearly, nagging people to add a signature doesn't work well.    Have you tried looking at the IPB software to see if technology can be used to force a signature in this forum? 

PS.... You won't find an order under my name - I'm not old enough for a CC yet :wink:  If that's a problem and you need my step dad's name on this post, just let me know.........

I have no issue with the signature thing, but just don't appreciate the 'blanket all' bad attitude shown in the OP. 

I think OP only warned those who have not been following rules. Nowhere did he mentions that ALL people on this forum are bad. PMDG has not only only made it clear in their first post on the forum but also have reminded users time and time again , and time and time again.. and time and time again to follow this rule. 

I see nothing Robert Randazzo (the OP?) stating:

For the entirety of the time in which PMDG has hosted our forums at AVSim, we have required users to sign their posts.

and following that up with humorous examples and concluding:

Sign your posts in this forum, or we will remove the posts without comment or question.

If you are a multiple violator, we will take steps against your user account up to and including banning.

It isn't hard...  In the airline business we call this "Comply or Die."

I must have missed his words about condenscending sarcasm and arrogance and his 'blanket all' bad attitude