Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Who's Still Running Sandy Bridge?

Seems like a lot of people upgrade often. But I've still got my 2500K. Anyway my OC fails every so often and I have to notch down because it won't let me raise the vcore anymore.

I started at 4.4GHz and I'm at 4.2 now.

I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else after three years of Sandy Bridge?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Rock solid 4.5ghz for 2.5 years. 

Simming constantly and a lot of gaming as well.  Thats on the 2600K with Asus P8P67pro Rev 3.1 board.  I`ve upgraded to a GTX770 and an SSD for the OS.  Never felt the need to upgrade yet :)

Doogie

Yeah I knew I had a poor OCer when I bought it. I have had to run 44x multi with auto vcore (I know NOT recommended) for 2 years. I'm not positive but I fear after my son touched my case in last years Winter the static discharge started wrecking my components.

I was hoping to not change my case but I don't trust the 650D anymore.

Anyway I'm sure I'll have to drop the OC down again. I can definetly tell the difference between stock and 4.4 hehe. I was thinking that new 4790.. But not yet!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2600k here, but very soft 4.3-4.4 overclock. I will probably upgrade to Haswell-E on the new X99 chipset.

sig01.png

Yeah that seems like a good plan...

I was looking up Intel road maps - is that a Q4 2014 product?

Ahh here's a good link

http://wccftech.com/idf13-intel-demonstrates-haswell-e-ddr4-memory-x99-chipset-based-motherboard/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yeah I knew I had a poor OCer when I bought it. I have had to run 44x multi with auto vcore (I know NOT recommended) for 2 years. I'm not positive but I fear after my son touched my case in last years Winter the static discharge started wrecking my components.

I was hoping to not change my case but I don't trust the 650D anymore.

Anyway I'm sure I'll have to drop the OC down again. I can definetly tell the difference between stock and 4.4 hehe. I was thinking that new 4790.. But not yet!

I doubt it was that. Over time CPU's degrade if above stock voltage which is why you want to set the voltage yourself  so you know what it is . For example at 4.5ghz my 4790k needs 1.14v to be stable Intel says anything over 1.3v will degrade a cpu. What happens when a CPU degrades is that it will need more voltage to be stable at the same clock speed and when you add more voltage the degradation happens that much faster till the CPU can't even hold stock clock speeds and is toast.

It goes like this not exact

CPU degradation

1.5V less than 1 year

1.4v 1- 2 years

1.3v  2-3 years

1.2V safe

1.1v safe.

When you get a new CPU try getting the vcore as low as you can there is no need to run prime95 for 24 hours to prove stability. I ran OCCT for 5 min and to me that was good enough and my system is very stable no BSODs and I've had the system running for about a month now.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

My i5 2500K is still going strong, I had it conservatively overlocked at 4.3 GHz with a very modest Vcore but I did a BIOS reset a while ago (didn't solve my problem, turns out the HDD I/O chip was a duffer) so at the moment I am running stock clock.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

When I built this SB rig it was my first build.  I was very new to overclocking and had no clue what I was doing.  I stuck it on an  auto overclock and TBH the results were the same as what  can get doing it manually. 

I have pushed it to 4.6 but I was not happy with the volts I was feeding through the chip.  The Auto tuning ASUS suite hit 4.5 so I just copied the numbers from there and added them manually to the BIOS.  Apart from having to re do them after a BIOS upgrade it has never missed a beat.

I will probably upgrade at the end of the year, keep the 770 and stick the ASUS board and SB chip into a home server at stock  clock.  It should be good for a few years yet ;)

doog79 and I are running basically the same setup. I have a 2600K@ 4.6 GHZ. My major upgrade recently has been a GTX770 4GB video card. I've contemplated going to the latest and greatest CPU but most of what I read said the performance boost for flight sim won't justify the increase in cost. I'll stay with what's working until the 2600k gives up the ghost or something is produced that knocks my socks off.

NAX669.png

I was looking up Intel road maps - is that a Q4 2014 product?

Haswell-E maybe be out to "the masses" as soon as next month ... worst case will be sept/oct ... main hold up is the motherboard manufacturers and getting DDR4 RAM ready to roll.

I'm using a Sandy Bridge E  (3960X) without issue and I'm running some aggressive voltage.  I'd suggest you check your RAM specs and make sure you are providing the correct CPU VCCSA Voltage and have all the timings correctly set.

Cheers, Rob.

2500k rock solid for 2.5 yrs at 4.6gz on air cooling. Asus z77 sabertooth mobo on mostly auto settings. OC using asus ai tool. Paired with evga gtx 770. Debating upgrading to ivy bridge. The sandy bridge runs cool.

:P Timothy Murphy

Ivybridge typically runs hotter than Sandybridge because of the smaller die size; it puts out the same heat across a smaller surface area.

Sandybridge was a very good architecture to overclock with, probably the most OC friendly in the last 10 years.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Good to hear all!

About my voltage - if I set the exact vcore as it runs on auto it will BSOD ... Funny but this is the issue I run into. And it's without logic ...

A lot if guys (you) were able to go above 4.5 with ease - I tried all the OC help links at the time and simply put nothing would work. I've since settled at a high 1.32v for 4.2 ( used to be 4.4)

I also think I chose poorly on my mobo... it was only a average board....  it seems like a lot of guys spend 200-300 on boards... at the time I spent 160 on my P67A UD4 board.

I think I'd have to spend at least 1000 bucks to get a decent upgrade.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

1.14 volts to run your 4790 at 4.5 GHZ?  Must be a lot different than the Sandy Bridge, because I doubt that a Sandy Bridge will even run stock speeds on that kind of voltage.  My Sandy requires 1.47 to run at 4.8.  That's definitely not a 24/7 type of voltage, but I'm not worried one bit.  If the processor degrades in a year or two, which I doubt, given my usage patterns, then I'll just replace the chip, or I'll take that as a signal to go to Haswell or beyond.  No point in babying it.  Like a racehorse, when it can't run competitively anymore, you can always put it out to pasture, where it can live a long life as a non-overclocked and very useful office machine to surf the internet and do mundane computing tasks like Photoshop and Word.