Sign in to follow this  
Guest av84fun

Seasonal CTD still with us ??

I have never had any problems with CTDs until about a week ago. All of a sudden, I could not run FS2004 without it crashing to desktop after no more than several minutes.The only thing that I had installed recently was a few addon freware a/c, version 2 of the Moving map programme. I had not installed any new hardware, drivers , etc.These CTDs would occur while just sitting on the runway at what appeared to be any airport- I would start up an a/c and just let it sit on the runway idling. Sure enough , within 10 minutes the Sim would crash to desktop. So after doing some searches in this forum, I decided to start my default flight ( which has worked OK for some time) but set the date back by a few months (even though I have 9.1 installed) . Lo and behold, for the first time in a week, I got no CTD. Now this was just 1 trial - but the first successsful flight for some time -- so I will do some more experimenting.Any comments from simmers with similar experiences.Barry

>I have never had any problems with CTDs until about a week>ago. All of a sudden, I could not run FS2004 without it>crashing to desktop after no more than several minutes.>>The only thing that I had installed recently was a few addon>freware a/c, version 2 of the Moving map programme. I had not>installed any new hardware, drivers , etc.>-SNIP->Any comments from simmers with similar experiences.>>Barry Barry, I, too, have been plagued with CTD's for the past month or so and have been suspecting a possible seasonal link. I have also added Moving Map, version 1 then 2. Another thing that I have done ( and regret ) is having installed DirectX 9.0c. I have XP Pro and immediately did a restore and re-installed DirectX 9.0b but I'm still getting CTD's....BSOD's actually, and am tearing my hair out trying to get to the bottom of things. As I've got hundreds of hours of "customization" invested in this FS9 install, I am unwilling to go the "clean install" route. In my case I strongly suspect some sort of driver issue as I'm running an ATI Radeon 9600 AIW Pro and almost always have a small window with the TV tuner output going while flying. Since it takes FS9 somewhere in the vacinity of 2-3 minutes to start up on my system, trial and error "make a change and retest" soon becomes a long, drawnout, frustrating process. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hi Paul> I, too, have been plagued with CTD's for the past month or>so> and have been suspecting a possible seasonal link.>> I have also added Moving Map, version 1 then 2. I was suspecting Moving Map 2 - but uninstalling it has not helped my situation.>Another thing> that I have done ( and regret ) is having installed DirectX>9.0c.> I have XP Pro and immediately did a restore and re-installed>> DirectX 9.0b but I'm still getting CTD's....BSOD's actually,> and am tearing my hair out trying to get to the bottom of>things.I nsytalled 9.0C some time ago without any problems.>> As I've got hundreds of hours of "customization" invested in>this> FS9 install, I am unwilling to go the "clean install" route.Me too!!!> > In my case I strongly suspect some sort of driver issue as>I'm> running an ATI Radeon 9600 AIW Pro and almost always have a > small window with the TV tuner output going while flying.>Since> it takes FS9 somewhere in the vacinity of 2-3 minutes to>start> up on my system, trial and error "make a change and retest">soon> becomes a long, drawnout, frustrating process. Sounds like you have a lot of "stuff" installed like me . However, I have been having no problems until very recently -- and the only thing that has worked for me so far is to set back the clock by a few months . I have not been able to trial this extensively -- but it is showing some promise as the cause of my CTDs.Barry

I've experienced a few CTD's. Once over France which would occour at exactly the same spot every time, another one somewher over NH, USA.Also received the error telling that FS9 needs to be closet because of errors or something.I think all errors can be blamed on addons, though. FranceVFR and MyWorld, American Data, Freeflow NE, FSGenesis landclass etc.But generally FS9.1 has been quite stable.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I would be surprised if there weren't a number of crash bugs at various locations on the globe. I mean heck, most fps games have instances where you'll get stuck in a spot or if you fall off a ledge at a specific spot the game will crash and you're talking about relatively small, enclosed environments. Having said that, I've been flying around in FS9 since I got it the week of release and I have yet to experience a repeatable ctd. In fact I really haven't experienced many ctd's at all and the ones I have had I've always been able to trace to an add-on. Now again, I have no doubt there are repeatable ctd circumstances - Ijust have better things to do with my time than worry about issues that I haven't actually encountered in about 18 months or more of using the sim...I wonder if the moving map program might leave anything after it's uninstalled that could still cuase the problem? Perhaps even a registry entry?

>I wonder if the moving map program might leave anything after>it's uninstalled that could still cuase the problem? Perhaps>even a registry entry?I don't think so - because I have a Registry cleaner and have made sure that all reference to Moving Map has been removed.The CTDs that I am experiencing are definitely related to season. I can place any aircraft on any airport and it the Sim will eventually have a CTD -- but it now seems that by placing the date form March (now ) to January, I can fly without the CTDs.Barry

Guest Zevious Zoquis

If you are placing any aircraft at any airport and getting ctd's you've got something going on other than seasonal ctds. Afaik, they were cuased by certain combinations of different scenery textures and were quite location specific. I think they only happened under certain circumstances along the "border" between different seasonal texture files. I don't recall ever hearing of cases where the ctds happened everywhere in the sim...there are a lot of people using the sim and it seems to me if this was an issue inherent to it (especially something that happened everywhere with every aircraft) I'm sure there'd be dozens of people here experiencing the same thing...

>If you are placing any aircraft at any airport and getting>ctd's you've got something going on other than seasonal ctds. >Afaik, they were cuased by certain combinations of different>scenery textures and were quite location specific. I think>they only happened under certain circumstances along the>"border" between different seasonal texture files. I don't>recall ever hearing of cases where the ctds happened>everywhere in the sim...>there are a lot of people using the sim and it seems to me if>this was an issue inherent to it (especially something that>happened everywhere with every aircraft) I'm sure there'd be>dozens of people here experiencing the same thing...>There are -- do a search on seasonal CTDsBarry

Guest Zevious Zoquis

everywhere with every plane?

Yes-- well I can't try absolutely everywhere of course, but generally yes -- Later today though, I am going to takes the sides of my computer case and pull out and replace the RAM sticks and vis card -- sometimes this can help. I have a friend who was having weird bootup problems -- disconnecting and reconnecting everything inside his case fixed his problemBarry

no, the seasonal CTD problem was at very specific locations at very specific points in time.It wasn't "I can't load FS if the date is set to XXXXX".You have different problems and your moving map addon seems the most likely culprit (possibly in combination with something else).

Guest gdafc

Hi there,Having a virtually identical problem as others here, and I don't have any add ons at all installed.I have reformatted, fresh copy of FS and added the 9.1 update and still got it. I am trying now with the update removed and see how long that will last.It's so frustrating!

Sorry for asking such a basic question but have you turned off screen savers and the like? Reason I ask I just did a flight and forgot to turn off my screen saver and I was in full screen mode when it must have come on and I had a CTD. No error messages or the like it just minimized itself after which I could click and restore it. After all these years I still forget simple things.:-) And I do not use any of those good freeware kill it all type utilities...Bill

Look for a program called Scan AFD. Find the conflicting AF2CAD(s)for a given location, choose the one you one (most recent for me) and delete the rest. Never had one CTD ever since. Seasons or no seasons, time or no time related.Cheers,MAB

Guest gdafc

My problem was memory related, I bought some "new" memory from ebay and my system doesn't like it, I put my old stuff back in the FS problem has gone!Strange as it only affected FS and I even ran a memory test and it passed.Hope everyone else gets sorted soon, I know what it's like!