Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Emergency Landing Caught On Tape

You can see his hand going for it when the video ends

But that's after the crash, which is a bit pointless

It all depends on the time available for you to do all the checklists.

When I did my MAUW 206 rating, I was confronted to a simulated force landing 1000' AGL in a fjord region with 15kt tail wind, so no straight in approach. The plane was dropping like a stone and the only landing strip was a 600 meters long busy road. I ended up in a perfect configuration for a landing but only had "concentration time" to do 1\3 of the checklist.

Like I said before, missing checklists might kill you, missing your landing will kill you

My only question is why he didn't swing wider and land on one of the MANY dirt roads....Its the first thing I always taught my students to look for.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Some of you guys are doing your level best to question the decisions made by this pilot, and I am struggling to understand why. You can quote correct procedures all day long when you have the time to do it. This guy was more interested in getting the plane down and walking away from it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Some of you guys are doing your level best to question the decisions made by this pilot, and I am struggling to understand why. You can quote correct procedures all day long when you have the time to do it. This guy was more interested in getting the plane down and walking away from it.

Couple things to note.  All pilots Monday morning quarterback.  Aviation is a tough career field that requires thick skin.  The reason is to question what someone did isn't to belittle them.  Its to see what could have been done better.  Yes these guys walked away.  That's awesome, I never want to see anyone die in aviation accidents. (I've lost numerous friends over the years) But there are things he could have done better.  Checklist usage, better landing locations...as pilots you should always strive to learn from others, and more importantly your own mistakes/experiences.  You won't learn as much if you don't question what you or someone could have done better?  If someone is incapable of seeing what they could have done better...then that person is a hazard not only to themselves but others. Make a bit more sense?

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Couple things to note.  All pilots Monday morning quarterback.  Aviation is a tough career field that requires thick skin.  The reason is to question what someone did isn't to belittle them.  Its to see what could have been done better.  Yes these guys walked away.  That's awesome, I never want to see anyone die in aviation accidents. (I've lost numerous friends over the years) But there are things he could have done better.  Checklist usage, better landing locations...as pilots you should always strive to learn from others, and more importantly your own mistakes/experiences.  You won't learn as much if you don't question what you or someone could have done better?  If someone is incapable of seeing what they could have done better...then that person is a hazard not only to themselves but others. Make a bit more sense?

Well I have nothing to had but a +1

This guy was more interested in getting the plane down and walking away from it.

He will had better success in getting the aircaft down if he followed the procedures. Simply walking away from it could have more luck than judgement. Professional pilots have "walked away from it "and were still disciplined because they took  unnecessary risks.

He will had better success in getting the aircaft down if he followed the procedures.

Well following all the procedures would not have change much of the result. Focusing on flying the plane instead of handling coms and keeping the engine alive might have

But that's after the crash, which is a bit pointless

Probably just habit... besides, no reason to leave hot mags for the next person who approaches.

Its to see what could have been done better.

Yeah... it is wise, imo, to do this.  Should do it (a debrief) after every flight.  What did I do right?  What did I do wrong? What can I improve? If you have video... so much the better since it will record *everything*.  Would be some work to review a recorded flight... but analyzing "the important stuff" e.g. how a certain maneuver flown, procedures, etc. could prove to be very valuable.

Why? Is very simple he did not and I repeat did not follow the correct forced landing procedures. He did not shut down the engine, thereby risking fire or sudden engine surge. He was concentrating on trying to keep the engine going when it was clear that the flight was over. The whole point of correct forced landing procedures is to maximise the chance of walking away. In his case he just got lucky. The procedures that are quoted are there for a reason not for fun. A competant pilot would practise various emergency procedures from time to time.

Well following all the procedures would not have change much of the result. Focusing on flying the plane instead of handling coms and keeping the engine alive might have

It would have changed a lot! Principally he would have had more time and landed much more slowly thereby not running into the trees and a potential unseen deep ditch which would have probably killed both of them.

got little more info for you all to consider

here's the temperature reports for the crash site that day

http://www.evweather.info/wxhistory.php?lang=en#

and here's the investigators report for the incident

(it’s in Hebrew; I’ll try to get this translated)

http://aiai.mot.gov.il/REPORT/RAI_85-14.pdf

it appears the aircraft had a known issue with the fuel gauges being defective and showing 100% constant

with that when they take off; they were convinced they had enough fuel for the flight duration

what you see happening with the engine sputtering; is because they run out of fuel!

Hence the continues manual pumping you see; the instructor immediately know what’s going on!

Later they also found the fuel tank cap was left off on the ground

They were forced to wait for long time on the ground before takeoff; which added to being short on fuel

Isn't it rather careless to take off without knowing the exact amount of fuel in your tanks? If the fuel gauge was known to be faulty, then surely they should have conducted a manual check?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

i believe they have done that; you missed the last two lines

fuel cap was left off!

and they were forced to wait for a very long time before they could take off!

If it wasn’t for the two extenuating issues; they prob who’d made the runway

From the C152 Information Manual

CHECKLIST PROCEDURES
PREFLIGHT INSPECTION

4. Fuel Quantity -- CHECK VISUALLY for desired level
5. Fuel Filler Cap -- SECURE

for both wings.

Were either of those things done?

Do SECURE fuel filler caps unscrew on the ground before takeoff?