Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Emergency Landing Caught On Tape

yes, this takes place in Israel; where its restricted air space everywhere

civilian/light aircraft not allowed over 2500 ft. or something like that

I guess with the engine sputtering he was just pumping the gas to keep it going. Almost as if he KNEW it wasn't going to start again in time, or at all.

This shows a great deal of confidence:

1:18 AIW - my engine is sputtering and about to shot off
1:22 AIW - im around Afula; i will be crash landing on a field
1:27 Tower - crash landing on a field? will you be able to land it?
1:29 AIW - affirmative

Pretty much shows what the plan was. Before he also said:

1:07 Instructor - ooh no, what is going on there 

Which tells me that what he planned from the point of issue had something he could not land by, or something was in the way (somebody mentioned power lines). Then he stated he was going to land in a specific field.

Interesting transcript. Thanks for doing that.

I wouldn't look at this as "I know better and he should've done this" as I DON'T know any better, even if it was a flight sim (I'm just starting)

But I do look at this as a post-mortem, just to see what else he could've done, or what different path he could've taken. He couldn't restart the engine, as it was still running. So you look at those odds in a split second and make a decision.

1. Can we keep the engine going?

2. Should I shut down and restart?

The other thing is that it may be a common issue, especially in a climate like that. Maybe that was the solution? He definitely did not hesitate pumping the throttle, as if he KNEW it was going to save him. One thing I did notice is his airspeed was higher than 60 knots as a result. My guess is that was meant to give them time.

He definitely did not hesitate pumping the throttle, as if he KNEW it was going to save him.

Some carbs have an accelerator pump...

One thing I did notice is his airspeed was higher than 60 knots as a result. My guess is that was meant to give them time.

That would give you *less* time...

civilian/light aircraft not allowed over 2500 ft. or something like that

Thanks btw... yeah was looking for precisely the field they landed on the east side of Afula... looked like the southeast side.

powerline added to the map

:lol: 

Believe it or not, that was the field I thought they went into - because of the long brown field and the right 90 turn into the field with the trees.  At 0:45 you can see over the left side of the dash, a triangular shaped pond? (next to 71) and the smaller green pond next to it.  Hence the guess.

That last turn at low altitude was pretty risky (stall/spin), especially at that low an airspeed.  Setting up an approach with no power takes lots of practice. If it were me, I would have chosen the long field and flown farther south before turning to the base leg and then final.  There was plenty of room in that longer field to set down without hitting any obstacles, but if that was his original intention his set up missed the mark leaving him too high and forcing him to touch down in the smaller field.  All is well that ends well though.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

In case you are too high after full flaps and before side slipping, increase your airspeed by pitching down, it will reduce the momentum because the drag is the square of the speed.

Not at all... That is the Shutdown Checklist.

Didn't you bother to read the check list fheaded or FORCED LANDINGS EMERGENCY LANDING WITHOUT ENGINE POWER?

Or do you Shutdown your aircraft  with the "Touchdown-SLIGHTLY TAIL LOW."

Didn't you bother to read the check list fheaded

Ok mgh... you can be right and I can be wrong...

I used to instruct in a variety of airplanes including the C152...

And you?

So... based on the video and the translation of the communications... my statement that the pilot clearly knew what was happening and needed to land immediately is correct. The pilot's own statements and actions support that conclusion.

I also stand by the statement that he went for the trees intentionally.

One person in this thread stated they would have tried to restart the engine (which was technically still running, albeit poorly). From the right seat while controlling the yoke would have been an amazing accomplishment (switch is lower left of left side yoke).

Reading the checklist, the only engine related items are the mixture, carb heat and ignition. Two of them are on the left-hand side of the aircraft. In the video I believe the mixture is already full in.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Reading the checklist, the only engine related items are the mixture, carb heat and ignition.

Carb heat should be near the throttle... mixture one could try pulling back.

Could check the fuel shutoff valve (never know if it has been "bumped").

These all memory items... but they were low and the instructor got the important stuff done.

Not sure the trees would be intentional... that is on the list of "the last things I would pick to slow down / stop the plane".

Ok mgh... you can be right and I can be wrong...

I used to instruct in a variety of airplanes including the C152...

And you?

I leaned to fly on a C150 and still have my checklists and took the trouble to check them before posting and got the numbers right for a C152.

if your volume is high enough; you can hear the engine chooking

i find the coolness the pilot kept

and gracefully controlling the land and crash; just phenomenal

down to the point of selecting where to hit

he declaers as they touch; he is going for the trees

and he is telling the other guy to brace useing the top handle

as they head toward the line of trees; amaizing

What an incredible display of calm and professional cool.  It was his demeanor that gave confidence to the student, that 'they will make it, ok'.  Wow....I guess, it's truly all about training...constant training for the inevitable day this might happen to any of us....and hopefully, only in a virtual environment, not as this was....!