Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Emergency Landing Caught On Tape

apprentice=Student

Yes Garry; I think this is the investigator being critical of the pilot procedure

The flight instructor conducted the aircraft approach with skill, the pilot remained calm and composed; the landing ended with no bodily injuries

With that, from the point of the engine sputtering to landing on the field; the instructor focused on reviving the engine using the throttle,

While communicating with control and loss of altitude , instead of focusing on planning and executing the emergency landing

With emphasis on correct execution order; and spotting optimal landing site for the landing

Comment: it is likely that if the pilot had followed the procedure

the damage to the aircraft could have been minimal

The flight instructor conducted the aircraft approach with skill, the pilot remained calm and composed; the landing ended with no bodily injuries....

You have a better teanslation which confirms that the pilot was criticised for speending too much time with the throttle and not enough time on the emergency landing, and which could alleviated damage.

You have a better teanslation which confirms that the pilot was criticised for speending too much time with the throttle and not enough time on the emergency landing, and which could alleviated damage.

The engine is malfunctioning, look for a landing field, engine won't work properly assume a crash landing and shut it down etc etc. Had he done all that and even made the same field we would have never got near the trees and there would have been no damage.

There have been incidents with instructors and students which have not ended well and in most cases the procedures were not followed correctly. Something goes wrong and you have a student with you, you do it by the book. You do something wrong then the student assumes it's ok because your an instructor.

It was interesting how many posters praised the pilot only to find that the facts were different!

So if the plane wasn't empty, and the engine was just not going to start.

Would that have been a ball of fire? It's either the ditch that stopped them or the wings hitting the trees. That's where the fuel is right?

The pilot does deserve praise! He did make mistakes but that does not take away from the fact that he keep his

cool sufficiently so that no one was injured. And the plane I suspect was not a wrote-off. Probably a few thousand dollars of damage. When you consider the spectrum or possible outcomes that are better than the actual outcome its quite narrow. The are only 2 outcomes that are better than the actual outcome. The actual outcome is no injuries and aircraft damaged. The only 2 better outcomes are no injuries and a less damaged aircraft or no inguries and no damage to the aircraft. Here are some examples of the many worse outcomes: Aircraft written off, Student dead and pilot seriously injured. Aircraft written off, Student dead, Pilot dead. Aircraft Crashed into kindergarden and exploded, Student dead, Pilot dead, 15 children dead. Parents burned alive trying to resque children. etc.

Then again if you point is that a whole bunch of posts blindly praised the pilot because the posters haven't go a clue about what a trained pilot does in such a situation then your right LOL

i agree Dave; the pilot still demonstrated excellent composure to the last second

neither know they will walk away from this,

as far as they know its a crash landing;

to the second their walked out of the plain they had no idea

It was a near engine out, off field landing not a crash landing. It is something a pilot trains for and must demonstrate on a check ride before a PPL is issued.

While the result was acceptable in that no one was injured or worse, the off field landing was self induced due to the poor preflight and fuel starvation. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

i agree Dave; the pilot still demonstrated excellent composure to the last second

And what did the pilot demonstrate when he failed to secure the fuel filler -and spent to  much time adjusting the throttle when he should have been planning his landing?

The pilot does deserve praise! He did make mistakes but that does not take away from the fact that he keep his

cool sufficiently so that no one was injured.

The pilot may have kept his cool but he and the student were lucky to walk away. Had the instructor followed procedures then walking away would have been guaranteed. He slammed it into a shallow ditch and trees with the engine running and all cocks live. He deserves no praise at all for that. The UK AAIB would be severely critical and he could even have his instructors licence taken away.

It was a near engine out, off field landing not a crash landing. It is something a pilot trains for and must demonstrate on a check ride before a PPL is issued.

While the result was acceptable in that no one was injured or worse, the off field landing was self induced due to the poor preflight and fuel starvation. B)

And the correct forced landing procuderes were not followed. In the UK he probably would loose his instructors licence.

ouple things to note.  All pilots Monday morning quarterback.  Aviation is a tough career field that requires thick skin.  The reason is to question what someone did isn't to belittle them.  Its to see what could have been done better.  Yes these guys walked away.  That's awesome, I never want to see anyone die in aviation accidents. (I've lost numerous friends over the years) But there are things he could have done better.  Checklist usage, better landing locations...as pilots you should always strive to learn from others, and more importantly your own mistakes/experiences.  You won't learn as much if you don't question what you or someone could have done better?  If someone is incapable of seeing what they could have done better...then that person is a hazard not only to themselves but others. Make a bit more sense?

Thanks for that, Brian. Your words make a great deal of sense. I completely agree that learning from what may be even relatively small mistakes could be the difference between life and death in any future incidents, so I will try to remember that when I comment on stuff like this next time. It seems that one or two basic mistakes were made prior to even departing the airfield on that day, so lessons certainly do need to be learned!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So, according to this thread, has the instructor been castrated and sent to hell, or has he been found innocent and awarded a medal?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

The UK AAIB would be severely critical and he could even have his instructors licence taken away.

I don't know about the UK AAIB but i were were that pilot's employer  I'd be suggesting he considers his position - at the least.

and if I were the Israeli safety authority i'd be questioning the employer's safety standards too.

So, according to this thread, has the instructor been castrated and sent to hell, or has he been found innocent and awarded a medal?

What do you think!!!

At the beginning of this thread, some people were awarding a medal to him, while others were trying the castrate thingy.

By now, all people are trying to castrate him, based on what has been left for castrating from the beginning of this thread!   :lol:

In the UK he probably would loose his instructors licence.

imo he should be grounded for some time; the careless preflight check

is the straw that broke the camel back for me; in spite of his amazing landing

has the instructor been castrated and sent to hell, or has he been found innocent and awarded a medal?

i'll try to find out what's the instructor verdict