Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just Bought Fsx Fiber..and Man, Does It Work!

Great to hear.  I also found that it worked, BUT....it introduces the blurries in high demand areas like you are referencing.  So much so as to take away from the visuals that it is no longer fun to fly in the area.

So I have shelved it.  And perhaps it is my older lower end computer that makes it so.

Which reminds me where is the profile info, ie PC Specs etc.?  Is it just my webpage or has the system not been fully restored?

I get blurries with or without it but my main concern is FPS since most of my flying is at night or over water blurries really don't matter all that much but smooth frames do.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hey Ses....I actually am a two monitor guy.  Run my FSX on a 40" screen and supporting stuff on a 22".  I have my planG or GPS and in this case Fiber showing on the second monitor at all times, so I could test it and see what it was doing.

I found no difference between full screen and windowed modes.

I have my fsx.cfg and settings tweaked according to the "best" advice and my sim works very well for me on this old computer.

My only issue is very large urban areas like San Fran, Vancouver, Seattle (I always have my sliders almost at the max plus traffic (air and ground).  So when I fly into those areas my system slows to 12-16 frames and begins to stutter a bit.

When I kick in Fiber, it smooths out and is flyable but the ground textures go blurry no matter what lower and upper limit I set in the config interface.  As soon as I shut off Fiber, after a 30 sec wait, things pop back into focus again.

Jim, I agree with you...shut off the numbers and just fly.  Which is what I'm doing most of the time, I just thought this tool would get me through those heavy demanding areas and it does but a cost I am not happy with.

So, I just avoid them if I can, or turn my sliders way down, and shut off traffic and then I'm OK.

cheers

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

"When I kick in Fiber, it smooths out and is flyable but the ground textures go blurry no matter what lower and upper limit I set in the config interface.  As soon as I shut off Fiber, after a 30 sec wait, things pop back into focus again."

That´s because you rob some part of FSX to pay another part of FSX!

I hate to be a parrot of a certain clever sim guy, but there´s NO free lunch in FSX, just strange you guys don´t accept that and stop looking for the "fix", there´s no fix, will never be, FSX is broken/unfinished and they don´t support it any more.

"So, I just avoid them if I can, or turn my sliders way down, and shut off traffic and then I'm OK."

Yep, way to go, wish more people would do that so "developers"  won´t bother us with useless magic tools.

Hey Ses....I actually am a two monitor guy.  Run my FSX on a 40" screen and supporting stuff on a 22".  I have my planG or GPS and in this case Fiber showing on the second monitor at all times, so I could test it and see what it was doing.

I found no difference between full screen and windowed modes.

I have my fsx.cfg and settings tweaked according to the "best" advice and my sim works very well for me on this old computer.

My only issue is very large urban areas like San Fran, Vancouver, Seattle (I always have my sliders almost at the max plus traffic (air and ground).  So when I fly into those areas my system slows to 12-16 frames and begins to stutter a bit.

When I kick in Fiber, it smooths out and is flyable but the ground textures go blurry no matter what lower and upper limit I set in the config interface.  As soon as I shut off Fiber, after a 30 sec wait, things pop back into focus again.

Jim, I agree with you...shut off the numbers and just fly.  Which is what I'm doing most of the time, I just thought this tool would get me through those heavy demanding areas and it does but a cost I am not happy with.

So, I just avoid them if I can, or turn my sliders way down, and shut off traffic and then I'm OK.

cheers

Bryan

Well Bryan, you certainly know best for your demands and usage.  My system, still can render clear graphics, but around the San Fran Bay area..and Squamish, things still go FPS-South.  I can get to some pretty low FPS, and only because I demand so much ( I know....) from my visuals.  But..the good news is...that with Fiber running, I can merely pop into my low setting. I have it now down to 15 FPS, and the flight smooths right out, but with no blurries that plague you.   So...this has been a wonderful performance-boosting experience, since install yesterday. I can now apparently have my cake and get to eat it too!   I love the fact that I can go to low-mid-off, in real time, in flight..and have the absolute BEST of all worlds with this deal.  Glad they offered it to Market.

Cheers!

Ses 

Yep, way to go, wish more people would do that so "developers"  won´t bother us with useless magic tools.

it works as advertised, may or may not be useful depending on graphics taste and system level, and even has a demo so you can try it.

how, exactly, is this a bother? nobody is forcing you to try it... although it's puzzling that you seem to be so dismissive about it without even seeing for yourself... it's hardly 'useless magic'... 

cheers

-andy crosby

Flying anywhere with fps < 20 in my books is unacceptable..

I would suggest adjusting your hardware and FSX load so you can maintain 30 fps, with possibly occasionally dropping into the 20s...

That way, you can ensure smooth flight and do not need this tool  ^_^

You can maintain 30fps in the PMDG 777? I don't believe you. That is not possible. Unless you run default scenery.

Try the free demo if you don't believe it. Plenty of positive feedback here at AVSIM also in other threads. YMMV as it has with a few others.

Why? FSX is still going strong and looking better than ever. And there are new technologies in the pipeline also. All someone might need to do is upgrade some hardware instead of starting over again. Quit chasing the magic numbers and just have fun!

Quit chasing the magic numbers and have fun. Amen and Amen

Vic green

Quit chasing the magic numbers and have fun. Amen and Amen

Couldn't agree more !

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

"When I kick in Fiber, it smooths out and is flyable but the ground textures go blurry no matter what lower and upper limit I set in the config interface.  As soon as I shut off Fiber, after a 30 sec wait, things pop back into focus again."

That´s because you rob some part of FSX to pay another part of FSX!

I hate to be a parrot of a certain clever sim guy, but there´s NO free lunch in FSX, just strange you guys don´t accept that and stop looking for the "fix", there´s no fix, will never be, FSX is broken/unfinished and they don´t support it any more.

"So, I just avoid them if I can, or turn my sliders way down, and shut off traffic and then I'm OK."

Pretty obvious you have no idea about what you are talking about here, but that's OK. More clever sim guys discover more about FSX all the time so take that back to your guru, Nick. Tell you what, they also said that a true weather radar would never be possible in FSX either and I can point you to 2 developers that have made that possible.

Pretty obvious you have no idea about what you are talking about here, but that's OK. More clever sim guys discover more about FSX all the time so take that back to your guru, Nick. Tell you what, they also said that a true weather radar would never be possible in FSX either and I can point you to 2 developers that have made that possible.

Nothing is impossible ;)

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

Was going to quote your post but too long lol. Totally agree, this is an amazing product, and I'll admit i was very skeptical at first. FSPS you saved my marriage :LMAO:   

Two questions about these:

As directed, when you leave a bad FPS-sucking area/scenario, you can DISABLE FSX Fiber, and as I flew away from Squamish, out into the channel..I did just that.  Kept pretty much at 30 (my locked target setting). 

Can you guys confirm that with FA v1.2 it is able to successfully puck your detail level back up once you leave a complex area and that blurries will go away once you don't need FA to do whatever bit of witchcraft it's doing?  This was an issue in v1.1 and unfortunately I wasn't able to see this work in my 5 tries at the demo.

Also....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while this is possible to do manually, it is a serious pain in the butt to do while you're flying in & out of complex/sparse scenery, and it kills the immersion -- at least for me.  If its is able to do what it advertises to do, then I think a lot of what you're paying for is the ability not more or less not have to think about switching your setting while you're flying.  No?

Two questions about these:

Can you guys confirm that with FA v1.2 it is able to successfully puck your detail level back up once you leave a complex area and that blurries will go away once you don't need FA to do whatever bit of witchcraft it's doing?  This was an issue in v1.1 and unfortunately I wasn't able to see this work in my 5 tries at the demo.

Also....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while this is possible to do manually, it is a serious pain in the butt to do while you're flying in & out of complex/sparse scenery, and it kills the immersion -- at least for me.  If its is able to do what it advertises to do, then I think a lot of what you're paying for is the ability not more or less not have to think about switching your setting while you're flying.  No?

Actually, the program always tries to give you the highest FPS settings...and you will see amongst other things, it dynamically switching between locked (if you have an FPS target locked), and unlimited.  When you can sustain your highest setting, it really doesn't do anything within the sim...but will be always monitoring whether it needs to 'step in ' to help.  You can also manually, DEACTIVATE the dynamic sniffing...and you will be back to your manual in-sim, and .cfg settings.  it doesn't alter them at all...your hard settings...it communicates directly with the graphics engine..and takes control of it....INDEPENDENT of your static settings.  So..nothing to re-do...nothing gets altered. Dynamic control is either on...or off.  Nothing gets corrupted.  Here's a good way of looking at it.  You create your own LOW FPS setting. Then, you create your OWN MEDIUM setting, and the next button DEACTIVATES the program from taking control of the graphics engine.  So...you are at a real P.I.T.A. airport, or local scenery. You'd use the LOW (Think...low altitude..close to the terrain)...and when you get to let's say 3,000 feet....switch on the fly to the MEDIUM (or think mid-level of your flight plan...towards your final cruise altitude.  Then, when you are thousands of feet into the air...and don't need the 'help' this program gives you...then you'd press DEACTIVATE. Then...on the way down....down to the final numbers....you'd go back to MEDIUM...and then when you see some stutter or chunk start to take hold...you'd switch on the fly...to LOW.  That is the proper use of this program. It is not intended to always be on...if you are getting your expected FPS anywhere you fly...then you do not need to involve FSX Fiber. It is there, for when what you are doing...demands help....and help, it sure does!  I can have smooth animation to as crazy low...as 8-10 FPS...so...I no longer care if Seattle is coming up for final....I will make it...under control....and smoothly touch down.  This is what this is all about.....

Was going to quote your post but too long lol. Totally agree, this is an amazing product, and I'll admit i was very skeptical at first. FSPS you saved my marriage :LMAO:   

"Ah....you see what five cups of coffee, and my natural-born enthusiastic spirit can dish up through my finger tips..."  Yeah...quoting that would have taken down your system...lol  BTW,...after lots of fine tuning...many hours at it...Try:

Low Setting of 15 FPS

Medium Setting of 30 FPS.

You are good to go....15 FPS for the low...or 1/2 of your Medium...really smooths out those ORBX bad boys...and of course, when you see FSX Fiber staying at about 30...then you no longer need its services in that segment of your flight..and THAT'S when you press DEACTIVATE.  When help is needed again...on the fly...in real time...just press for either Low or Medium in the button activation cycle.  Do this as many flippin' times as you want...no nail gets bent...in engaging, or deactivating this little gem!   :lol:

Ses

No, because it is not moving sliders except for frame rate when necessary. Everything it does it is doing internally and automatically and on a per session basis.

You can maintain 30fps in the PMDG 777? I don't believe you. That is not possible. Unless you run default scenery.

It can be done with the right CPU coming out of FSDT's KLAX in a major thunderstorm with rex 2048 clouds and sliders almost all to the right. I was getting 30-32 on the ground. and 35-40 in the air

This was without the Fiber accelerator when I used it I saw almost a constant 45FPS in the same situtation pictured below

image.jpg

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.