Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Ocean Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record

Haris Suleman, a 17 year old HS student and his father, Barbar Suleman crashed shortly after takeoff from Pago Pago last Tuesday evening. They were en-route to Hawaii as their round the world flight was more than two-thirds complete.

My heart goes out to this young man who came so close to fulfilling his dream. The loss of both her husband and her son has been devasting to Mrs. Suleman and her surviving daughter.

Several weeks ago another round the world 19 year old flew from Pago Pago on pretty much the identical flight plan. His RTW set a world record as the "Youngest Pilot to Fly Around the World Solo."

NOTA BENE: This story was mistakenly posted to the thread about the other young pilot, so I've moved that posts into this new thread.

Just heard that he crashed in the ocean and lost his life. His body has been recovered. What a shame for the young man.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/teen-pilot-around-world-flight-found-dead-samoa-n163266

http://news.msn.com/us/spokeswoman-us-teen-pilot-dies-in-crash

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Is a single engine craft something that you would want to go around the world with? I see videos about first flight lessons and I get excited to try it myself.

Then I see that instructor crash landing, and now this...

Was just reading their blog they had Immersion suits on and there was a life raft on board . They may still find the father, hopefully. RIP

ZORAN

Sorry to hear about this. What an adventure that was so too bad they were not able to see this through. Hopefully something can come of the charity they were doing this for.

RIP

Matthew Kane

Wasn't the aircraft missed fueled at one point in the trip?

Bad residual fuel in tanks?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Sadly this is aviation, 4 people I knew have been killed in separate crashes in the past 5 years.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hopefully something can come of the charity they were doing this for.

When I saw the report on the local news channel, they mentioned that $500,000 had been raised for the charity.  I haven't seen this confirmed elsewhere yet.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Reading that this plane supposedly went down only about one mile from a shore turns this crash into something that could have happened basically to any GA pilot, even if they were not hungry for their "fifteen minutes of fame".

A tragedy for all involved.

When I first read about this attempt I cringed because I remember similar "events" that turned out badly. I wished them all the best though, and I'm sorry to hear that it ended this way.  :(

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Is a single engine craft something that you would want to go around the world with? I see videos about first flight lessons and I get excited to try it myself.

In fact just a few weeks earlier another young (19) pilot made the same RTW flight in the same make of aircraft, a Beech A36. Given that this crash occurred around 1nm offshore just after takeoff, my "educated guess" is that they suffered an engine failure of some sort. Since the a/c evidently sank, unless someone pays for recovery from the ocean's floor, it is likely we may never know what the true cause was.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In fact just a few weeks earlier another young (19) pilot made the same RTW flight in the same make of aircraft, a Beech A36. Given that this crash occurred around 1nm offshore just after takeoff, my "educated guess" is that they suffered an engine failure of some sort. Since the a/c evidently sank, unless someone pays for recovery from the ocean's floor, it is likely we may never know what the true cause was.

I wouldn't fly over Lake Michigan in a single engine let alone an ocean. I might consider a flight to the Bahama's from Miami but even then I'd be nervous. Its so much safer to have a twin. If I was gonna fly over water and I had to use a single engine It'd have to be in a turboprop as they are a lot more reliable or I just wouldn't go.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.