Sign in to follow this  
ivo09

Are P3D Airports Updated To Their Current Configurations?

Many things in the airports have changed since FSX. Does P3D include new airports runways and such? Thanks.

No,  still uses the same data as FSX (2006 circa).

Sean Green

KORL has been upgraded to a high definition airport and is somewhat different than the FSX version.  There may be others.  All other airports I've landed at so far have been the same as stock FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Its kind of disappointing that they are still using 10 year old data. KORD for example has underwent major construction and so have many other airports. Would the AVSIM files that fixed FSX work for P3D?

Lockheed Martin's philosopy has decided that people who really need updated airports will be prepared to buy them - that applies to other aspects such as  navaids etc and even aircraft.

Honestly, considering their primary target audience, that's a reasonable philosophy to take.  Most of their users will need just a small subset of the available airports updated, and they will either do it themselves, contract someone to do it for them, or buy an off-the-shelf product that already meets their needs.

Exactly, P3D isn't intended for the consumer market.

I think LM is leaving the airports up to the many developers that are already doing it.  Every payware developer I know of includes P3D installers in their releases, and almost every FSX freeware airport you can get from the library will work just fine in P3D.

Todd

Its kind of disappointing that they are still using 10 year old data. KORD for example has underwent major construction and so have many other airports. Would the AVSIM files that fixed FSX work for P3D?

I have a KORD for FSX by Ray Smith.. I will give it a try in P3D V2.2 today.

Edit :

Initially the airport showed up but one terminal building was missing .. just jetways there in mid air ... so no, it did not work.

Turns out I needed to add another install file .. missed it first time .. so I will install it and test it again now.

Quick check, go the jetways and terminal buildings but :

Missing taxi ways!

So, no it is not working like in FSX ... Darn!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Taxiways will work. Do you know how to use Airport Design Editor? There is a known issue with taxiway flags in FSX that prevents them from being drawn in P3D. Install ADE then make sure it is in P3D mode (you'll be prompted everytime the ptogram is opened). Open up the AFCAD then recompile. Taxiways should appear after doing that.

Todd

Taxiways will work. Do you know how to use Airport Design Editor? There is a known issue with taxiway flags in FSX that prevents them from being drawn in P3D. Install ADE then make sure it is in P3D mode (you'll be prompted everytime the ptogram is opened). Open up the AFCAD then recompile. Taxiways should appear after doing that.

Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the "how to" ... no, I have never done the ADE edit/recompile although I do have ADE 1.61 installed for a long time now and have used it to check out Afcads.

I will reinstall into Ray's KORD into P3D V2.2 and then give the ADE editing/recompile a try.

This is what I see prior to editing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90gr2onrxi79cg3/ORD-NoTaxi.JPG

Best Regards,

I have a KORD for FSX by Ray Smith.. I will give it a try in P3D V2.2 today.

Edit :

Initially the airport showed up but one terminal building was missing .. just jetways there in mid air ... so no, it did not work.

Turns out I needed to add another install file .. missed it first time .. so I will install it and test it again now.

Quick check, go the jetways and terminal buildings but :

Missing taxi ways!

So, no it is not working like in FSX ... Darn!

Try this if ya like, just a recompiled version of the FSX one I uploaded.

Here is the project file for direct editing in ADE.

mvw8.jpg

Regards,

Brian Doney

Brian,

Got your files.

Will have a look now.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Brian,

Got your two scenery files into P3D V2.2 ok.

But, in the airport selection .. runway dropdown box only 4 of the runways are listed.

Top down view shows all runways and so does ADE when I look at your bgl.

Was I supposed to use that project file ? I missed something?

Best Regards,

Brian,

Got your two scenery files into P3D V2.2 ok.

But, in the airport selection .. runway dropdown box only 4 of the runways are listed.

Top down view shows all runways and so does ADE when I look at your bgl.

Was I supposed to use that project file ? I missed something?

Ahh yes...when you close a runway for takeoff, it has long been recommended to also delete the start location in the AFD file as well.

In fact, ADE will specifically highlight this when running an error check.

The runways are otherwise fully operational/utilized, they just will not show in the selection menu as a start option, as they are configured as landing-only.

Regards,

Brian Doney