Sign in to follow this  
Guest baksteen33

TIP : FS2004 and ships

Hi all,Judging by the relatively low number of downloads, I guess most of you were wondering: what are ships doing in a Flightsimulator ??Which was my initial reaction when I saw these downloads appear in the library. But after trying out a few of them, I changed my opinion: they are just fun to "fly" (especially in a scenery with islands or rivers/lakes), and it gives you another perspective of "whats possible" in FS2004.Obviously, FS2004 wasn't setup as a "Ship Simulator", so it does have some limitations (like water depth is infinite, and no fish :-))But if you like to explore some other "flying" options with FS2004, try out Ian Thatcher / Phil Crowthers new submarine:File: oscarv3.ziphttp://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=63173It has some very nice visual gimmicks (like surfacing & submerging, animated periscope, switched wake/spray effects, etc.), and includes some control gauges I specially made for this sub.And should you not like it: it's easily removed :-)Cheers, Rob BarendregtPS.Try Phil's Aircraft Carrier as well.File: nimitz-v3.zip

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rob, I'm having a great time with those vessels for which I thank you (and Ian) dearly. Specially the sub is awesom now. I even managed to sneak the submerged Russian flag into NYC harbour and believe it or not, 'zij' hadden niets door!! Hehe. SS9 ehh FS9 really is something else! Finally -I hope you don't mind the question- are you familiar with sailsims? If so, which one would you recommend? Many thanks again to you, Ian, Phil and everybody else involved with the wet part of FS. Groetjes Jaap

Hoi Jaap,No, I don't know of any sail/ship simulator.However, that doesn't mean anything since FS is the only "game" (oops :-) ) I'm really interrested in.But I can't imagine that there aren't any around.Tried a Google search ??Groeten uit Huizen,Rob

Guest baksteen33

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. It was probably a bit silly to ask somebody as committed as you are. Personally, I also enjoy racing and sailing sims and was just wondering about any first hand experience. At the moment, I'm still using a 2 year-old sailsim called -believe it or not- SailSimulator! Made by StenTec in Heeg. The visuals incl. the water with v.4 aren't much better than what we're getting in FS... And the latest FS-boating experiences definitely sparked my desire to upgrade the boating division again. Otherwise, I only know of one other product called Virtual Skipper (v.3 currently) which looks pretty nice. To give you an idea, here's a screenshot: http://www.virtualskipper3game.com/index.p...en&ref=lib10043Hmmm, I might have to wander down to the shop and give it a try..? All in all and right now with FS9 -with guts-speak so to say- it's a bit like the late FS8 days, when that version of FS was reaching its best possible state and was to soon be replaced with FS9... I'm in awe about FS9's possibilities and what individuals like you have made of it. Many thanks en groetjes uit Lucerne (in the mountains) Jaap Edit; I've read on a bit meanwhile. Although Virtual skipper looks nicer, it apparently is technically less interesting than SailSimulator (i.e. no individual fok/grootzeil trimming). I guess I'll either wait for StenTec's v.5 or upgrade to their latest version.

Maybe someone will write a sub simulator. Many areas are terrain mapped and it would also be fun to have a mini-sub to skirt around those underwater peaks. Remember the movie The Abysse?I would think the same technology that applies to FS applies here. What a fleet of AI fish could be created. Instead of flight plans they would have region plans confined by the environmental requirements of the species.Be the first to start Project Fishy AI ;) .

"" Remember the movie The Abysse ?? ""Do you believe in coincidence ?? You will now :-)This movie was broadcasted here in the Netherlands last night (Saterday, 10.00 PM local time, Yorin)Great movie ... Saw it for the third time...Cheers, Rob

OT but the same director created a documentary recently in IMAX 3D format called "Aliens of the Deep". Do you have IMAX in your area? It is a massive 3D screen system using Polaroid viewer glasses. The camera is quite a bit larger because a the large film width.I hope to see it next week. Maybe there will be a Captain Nemo simulation (20,000 Leagues Under . . .) developed.

The IMAX film isn't just wider. The IMAX films thread through the projectors horizontaly instead of the vertical motion in standard 35 mm projectrs. Thus the width of the film stock becomes the height of the image projected on the screen (minus that used by feed spokets and the sound track). The larger image on the film helps provide a sharp image on the large projection screen (about 60 feet high).The IMAX theatre in Virginia Beach (Virginia Aquarium) exibits 2-D and 3-D films. The 3-D films utilize the polarized filter glasses for the right and left images. Realy interesting when a school of fish appear to be swimming through the theatre. I have seen documentaries on television that describe IMAX theatres equiped with wireless LCD shutter glasses with stereo speakers in the earpieces.

Guest baksteen33

Thanks for the link, Mark. No, I haven't tried it. I am (was?) aware of Virtual Sailor though -realized my knowledge about this program is totally outdated- and am quite impressed with the improvements mentioned in the revision history. Now, my English terminology regarding sailing definitely smells funny and taking Virtaul Skipper as example, there seems to no ability to independantly adjust the sheets. This is something which is feasable in SailSimulator and is an important feature IMHO. Is this kind of stuff possible with Virtual Sailor too? Do you use it for 'serious' sailing? Here's a message by John dG (Calypso), who is also an avid flightsimmer as he posts here regularly and who took a look at other humid activities: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...a377eadd8788e85What's nice in this thread, the last post refers to FS9 and points to FS Shipyards!! Looks like we're turning in circles... Hehe Thanks for taking your time and I hope your domestic situation is improving rapidly. Kind regards Jaap