Sign in to follow this  
tambeshakunt

Fsx On Windows 8.1 --- Yes I Know , I Know, But Any Help!?

Hey everyone,

I am a frequent fsx flyer but very new to this forum. I have flown hours and hours on windows 7 and vista and now the time has come for me to install fsx on windows 8.1  :mellow: :blush:  I know lots will say that 8.1 has problems regarding fsx, but I have no real choice as except for fsx, 8.1 does everything better for me. 

I have the fsx gold pack, GEX europe, REX + OD 2 and PMDG 737, 747 and Carenado B1900D aircrafts to install.

Right now, I have done the following.

1) Run standard fsx disk 1 and 2 (deluxe) setup. (installed on secondary HDD)

2) Flown a free flight for 10 mins

3) Installed SP1

4) Flown a free flight for 10 mins

5) Installed acceleration pack.

I have only found this video for 8.1 and I have followed it. 

I was really looking if anyone knows of a guide ( or could quickly summarise for me ) the cfg tweaks and tweaks in fsx that I should do to get the best out of fsx in windows 8.1 for my hardware. I have capable hardware to run max settings (I think) ; I have an AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz, XFX 7970 DD OC and 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM.

I would also appreciate if anyone has any tips to give for installing the add ons that I listed above.

I apologise, if I am posting in the wrong place or if this topic has come up several times before, as I said, I am very new to this forum, but not fsx.

Thanks for all the help, in advance!

Run the app as Administrator

You can also run in Windows Compatibility mode.

I also had many stability issue with my FSX on Windows 8.1 I did replace a file called uiautomationcore.dll. That helps a lot.Do a google search on this

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I have seen nothing to indicate that the FSX settings would be any different on Win8 than Win7, so I would set it up the way you had it with Win7.

There is a Win8 forum on Avsim, however, so have a look!

I also had many stability issue with my FSX on Windows 8.1 I did replace a file called uiautomationcore.dll. That helps a lot.Do a google search on this

"Replacing" the dll is not a good idea... adding an older version to the FSX folder, maybe..

Bert

I would recommend the uiautomationcore fix as well (it goes in your FSX directory, not anywhere in a Windows directory) to ensure stability.

I had a ton of problems with Windows 8, now I have Windows 8.1 and have done the following with a lot of success;

Turn Your UAC all the way down.

In Properties ;

With FSX and all related addons go to compatibility Mode and click Windows 7 / with administrator rights.

Under the security tab add. Everyone , click OK.

I have FSX and most of everything else related is in The ( 86 ) Program.       ( Some bulk at this but it's no longer giving me problems- knock on wood of coarse.

I honestly haven't had any problems with 8.1

I've read in many places that the uiautomationcore fix does more harm than good. I can't say definitively because I haven't used it. 

I used the bajote config tool, and the dx10 fixer, along with Matt Davies' Nvidia Inspector tweaks and everything is great. No crashes as of yet whatsoever.  

Thanks for the help everyone, looks like I will leave the uiautomationcore out for now, and will look into it if I experience crashes.

Also check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots. The CTD Guide too as there's some info that the Windows 8 version of the uiautomationcore.dll had a memory leak but sure it has been fixed by now. The uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx directory fixes only one type of fsx crash (menu crashes). More info in the CTD Guide.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello

Jim .. I beg to differ on one of your points

I am in the middle of setting up a  vanilla installation of FSX and Acceleration on a system using win 8.1

Turned UAC off .... and running as administrator

On numerous occasions I literally got about 10 minutes flying and the sim crashed with the obligatory 'Flight simulator has stopped working' message

I then set the sim to run in Win 7 compatibility mode and voila ....... I have just finished an 8 hour flight with no crashes at all

Paul 

Paul,

If that was to me, then you have your system not quite right then, drivers, updates.

There are logs that would tell you more about your message.

Ok so just finished installing everything.

Im not having any CTDs in game ( so far) however I am having huge artifacts. There are several types and when they appear, it is impossible to see anything as the aircraft flies 'through' them.

Also, as soon as I close fsx, after I have, windows brings the 'fatal error' message and says fsx has stopped working!? Its odd because the message is straight after fsx is closed.

however I am having huge artifacts.

These can be caused by using the Bufferpools/userpools tweak, do you have that? Or running DX10 mode with an ATI card?

Ian R Tyldesley