Sign in to follow this  
Vadith

Low Fps

Hello!

I allways have low fps, i only have installed REX, European enivoriment and thats it... And sometimes it says FSX has ran out of memory

PC specs:

System: Windows 8

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz

Ram: 6GB

Bits: 64

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTC 560

BTW, fsx is installed on the C drive where 36GB is left of 184 GB 

My other disk has 1.08 TB free space.

Your computer is not strong enough for FSX and add-ons. You will need to turn down some of your settings.

I havent got any experience with Win8 myself, but from what I hear and read it's not the best option for... Well, anything actually. From your specs I see you've got an older pc, my guess would be it didnt come with Win8. If I were you I would go for an older Windows version, I'm very happy with Win7 64bit, but even Vista 64bit would be better then Win8.

For flightsim its always best to install on it's own drive, or at least another drive then the one that runs Windows. Best would be to use SSD drives, for Windows as well as the sim.

8GB of RAM would be better, but I ran with 6 for quite some time, so it should be enough. I know I dont use much over 4GB with my sim running. FSX is still a 32-bit program, so it cant use more than 4GB. The used memory will go a little over 4GB from other programs, but my sim OOMs when I use over 4.3GB total.

The video card doesnt seem too bad. Its not a card that will run with high settings, but I've seen people get very reasonable results with comparable cards.

I think at this point, you're most limited by the CPU. It's only capable of working with memory of 800-1066MHz that is not much. On the other hand, I see you havent overclocked yet, so there's an option to squeeze some more power out it.

Cheers!

Maarten

I havent got any experience with Win8 myself, but from what I hear and read it's not the best option for... Well, anything actually. From your specs I see you've got an older pc, my guess would be it didnt come with Win8. If I were you I would go for an older Windows version, I'm very happy with Win7 64bit, but even Vista 64bit would be better then Win8.

For flightsim its always best to install on it's own drive, or at least another drive then the one that runs Windows. Best would be to use SSD drives, for Windows as well as the sim.

8GB of RAM would be better, but I ran with 6 for quite some time, so it should be enough. I know I dont use much over 4GB with my sim running. FSX is still a 32-bit program, so it cant use more than 4GB. The used memory will go a little over 4GB from other programs, but my sim OOMs when I use over 4.3GB total.

The video card doesnt seem too bad. Its not a card that will run with high settings, but I've seen people get very reasonable results with comparable cards.

I think at this point, you're most limited by the CPU. It's only capable of working with memory of 800-1066MHz that is not much. On the other hand, I see you havent overclocked yet, so there's an option to squeeze some more power out it.

So what do you advise me to do?

Hi Vadith

I am running Win7 operating system, not sure if this makes any difference but it very well might, others with expertise in operating systems might better advise you.

I'm using an older computer like you, an i7-920 2.7 Ghz but with a 1.7Mb GTX 260 video card with 16gigs RAM.  I only use older video card drivers as the new drives do not work well with FSX, so consider rolling back drivers to find ones that work best with FSX.  I run FSX on its own drive.  I have my system set to defrag regularly to remove any issue that might surface from continual adjustments to addons.  I have over 600 gigs of FSX files, mostly scenery and plane addons.  I have the greater amount of Orbx scenery but not Global stuff.  I have REX essentials, UTX, GEX, FS Addon, SimAddons, some SIM720 and 720 layers of scenery addons,. tons of which are freeware.

In order to run my FSX at anything reasonable I have had to tweak the hell out of it.

Except for high demand large urban areas I am getting very acceptable frames and smoothness over 20 and most often 30 frames.  I have AI air traffic at about 20% all settings, I have road and water traffic also set about 20% (which is plenty).  I have all my sliders at max except autogen which I set to dense instead of very dense.

I never ever run out of memory.  I never have any CTD (well not totally true, I've had a couple do to installation issues but not from running FSX at full).

So, have you followed the latest thinking in tweaking guides...to the letter?  There are many tweaks that are essential for you to be able to run smoothly.  At the very least have you tried, Bojote's tool?

You must tweak your FSX to be able to run it acceptably with that computer.

I use ENB Series shader adjustments, and I get a frames improvement doing so (and I have no idea why) but if I turn my ENB on and off I can watch the frames raise and lower by 4-5 per second.

cheers

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks Bryan, I was almost done writing when you posted about the same story. :P

For tweaking there's a very nice guide on this forums. Here's the link: http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/41-basic-fsx-p3d-configuration-guide/

Tweaking, as well as the settings from FSX differ per system, so whichever way you do it, you will have to spend time to find out what works for you and what doesnt. We all want to start flying soon as possible and dont waste too much time on other stuff, but to get a proper working simulator we all have to spend more time than we want on getting things right first.

But like Bryan sais, put FSX on another drive then windows and tune the settings and see what you can do with tweaks. I think this guide will help you well on your way and if you have further questions along the way you can always post them on AVSIM.

Cheers!

Maarten

Thanks, putting FSX now on the other drive with 1TB and downloading the PDF.

try this as a start.

Remove  your fsx.cfg (ie back it up somewhere in case).

Start fsx and let it build the nre fsx.cfg ( I assume you know it will do this and where to find the file).

Take the newly built file and run it through this utility.

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Check what was done to adjust the cfg file.  Suggest printing if off for reference.

Hmm it still isn't smooth :( some tips?

Perhaps you can clarify, what isn't smooth?  Specify your settings, specify what FPS you are achieving.  What is your graphic experience?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

try this as a start.

Remove  your fsx.cfg (ie back it up somewhere in case).

Start fsx and let it build the nre fsx.cfg ( I assume you know it will do this and where to find the file).

Take the newly built file and run it through this utility.

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Check what was done to adjust the cfg file.  Suggest printing if off for reference.

Perhaps you can clarify, what isn't smooth?  Specify your settings, specify what FPS you are achieving.  What is your graphic experience?

Hmm, they ask me 

how many cpu's  i have? i dont know that

is hyperthreading activated? i dont know that

Whats the speed of your cpu? i dont know that also

Nvm got it.

Okey, replaced fsx.cfg but whenever i rotate my view i get really low fps and an error: fsx has ran out of memory

The i7-920 has 4 cores and if you open task manager, to the performance tab, top right you see either 4 or 8 small windows for CPU usage history. If there are 4 of those windows, HT is not active, if you see 8 of them, HT is active.

The 2.67 GHz is the speed of the CPU

That sounds like OOM (out of memory), indeed. When you pan around in outside view, do you see 'spiked' scenery? Vertical stripes from stretched out scenery objects?

You can monitor your memory usage from the same tab in task manager. If you get up to 4GB, the program is likely to crash because its OOM.

If this is the case you could try optimizing your pc, but to do that right you should do a complete reinstall from windows up.

Here's a post about installing and optimizing your system and FSX:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

The i7-920 has 4 cores and if you open task manager, to the performance tab, top right you see either 4 or 8 small windows for CPU usage history. If there are 4 of those windows, HT is not active, if you see 8 of them, HT is active.

The 2.67 GHz is the speed of the CPU

That sounds like OOM (out of memory), indeed. When you pan around in outside view, do you see 'spiked' scenery? Vertical stripes from stretched out scenery objects?

You can monitor your memory usage from the same tab in task manager. If you get up to 4GB, the program is likely to crash because its OOM.

If this is the case you could try optimizing your pc, but to do that right you should do a complete reinstall from windows up.

Here's a post about installing and optimizing your system and FSX:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Hope this helps. :)

No,

I dont see spiked scenery :s Only really low fps for some reason.

Those spikes are just one symptom of running OOM, best is to check the actual usage of memory with Task Manager or there are more programs that can do this for you.

System optimization is always best if you want to get the most out your flightsim and it takes a lot of trial and error. I recently built a new system and with several years of experience it took me 3-4 weeks to get it optimized. And I still have some minor issues I'm still working on. A flightsim isnt like a standard game which you install and start playing.

I think the best start is to do a full reinstall and optimize as much as you can, then start FSX with the lowest possible settings and see how far you can push settings while keeping FPS high enough and from there you have seen what every setting does, what should enable you to come to more specific questions.

We cant see the details of what your system does, so we can only give general advise and the more specific the questions get, the more we can go into detail about fixes for certain problems.

Cheers!

Maarten