Sign in to follow this  

So I've Picked Up A Stalker From Malaysia...

As some of you know I do a lot of flight sim videos ... it's how I wind down my day before I go to sleep.  My YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0irouYfN6ewMCDblzAcXuA

So a while back I started to see that whenever I posted a video I almost immediately got a dislike ... as a test I didn't post one of my videos anywhere other than just up on my channel.  So I check into the dislike (only because it's recurring) and notice that it's someone from Malaysia (yes with enough digging you can find out who hits a dislike), especially if one is a YouTube partner.

So what's the "stalker" part in this?   Well, the only way these dislikes (in most cases it's just the same one over and over) could be so regular and at the same location and soon after I just upload is if the person had bothered to actually subscribe to my channel (you can do "hidden" subscriptions on YouTube) so they would know when I uploaded a new video so they could immediately hit dislike.

I personally don't really care - it's nice to see likes but dislikes really don't bother me (to each his/her own).  This is NOT the first time I've picked up a stalker and will NOT be the last ... just all part of being public on the internet.  If ya think about it, it is sorta comical.   Why so funny, well I wonder if my silent stalker actually understands that a dislike registers as a view and a view (if one monetizes) is all that really matters on YouTube - so a dislike is actually a good thing for me.

So I have a stalker that doesn't like what I do and/or me, but he's actually rewarding me with his dislikes.  I hate to say it, but I do find that funny.  So moral of the story ... stalkers, not always a bad thing.

My misc. rambling for the day.

Cheers, Rob.

long post for something you're not bothered about. :smile:

It's YouTube.... it happens.   So many reasons.  Doesn't like your production style? Doesn't like FSX / P3D / your sim?   Doesn't like that you're in the US?  Doesn't like the aircraft you fly? Doesn't like the fact that your page indicated that you race expensive fast cars and appear to have a lot of cash?  Perhaps he's jealous of you / your material 'stuff' ?

It's just part and parcel of putting videos on YouTube.   Best accept it, or else best to stay away from YT.

long post for something you're not bothered about

It is?  I didn't realize there was a "bothered to post length ratio threshold" or BPLRT for short :)  

I think maybe you missed the point of my post ... well aware of reasons to like or dislike ... but for someone to go out of their way to subscribe to someone's channel just so they can dislike when new content is put up regardless of that content - which in fact just benefits me, is probably not what the person intended.  Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the shed this particular stalker, but it goes to show that not all Stalkers are necessarily a bad thing.

But seriously, if it really bothered me I wouldn't allow/enable comments and likes/dislikes so they don't bother me at all.  This post may however make that person aware what they are actually doing for me is perhaps not what they intended ... if ya get my meaning ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Most definitely not the sharpest crayon in the box, that's for sure and certain! :LMAO: 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Too funny Matthew!

Perceived anonymity brings out what I like to refer to as "captain sub-text" (you'll need to watch a BBC show called "Coupling" by Steven Moffat to understand the reference) in people.

Cheers, Rob.

Any press is good press right? I will make sure to like each video then lol.

Well given that YouTube measures the popularity of your video by the number of ratings, and not by the combined 'score' of those ratings, you're right.

It works that way for comments at least, and I think for the videos themselves as well.