Sign in to follow this  
Carob

New System Specs Question

It will run better the more hardware you throw at it.  I went from a 670 which ran at 680 speeds (so a fair bit faster than the 760), to a 780 and while it doesn't show a great deal in FPS, the difference in smoothness was unbelieveable (possibly down to the extra VRAM?).  That is why a lot of people on here are recommending the 4gb 770.  However the 2gb is still a lot faster than the 760.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

It will run better the more hardware you throw at it.  I went from a 670 which ran at 680 speeds (so a fair bit faster than the 760), to a 780 and while it doesn't show a great deal in FPS, the difference in smoothness was unbelieveable (possibly down to the extra VRAM?).  That is why a lot of people on here are recommending the 4gb 770.  However the 2gb is still a lot faster than the 760.

At over $400 I'm thinking the 4GB 770 is out of the price scope.

Just another opinion...

Do get the 4790K and stick with the 670.

The CPU speed is essential for FSX, and additional GPU power is only needed if you fly with heavy weather and high antialiasing settings - the 760 or 660 will do the job just fine IMHO.

As far as RAM, get two sticks of 4GB high speed memory.  (or 2X8GB if you need it for other things)

Bert

Just another opinion...

Do get the 4790K and stick with the 670.

The CPU speed is essential for FSX, and additional GPU power is only needed if you fly with heavy weather and high antialiasing settings - the 760 or 660 will do the job just fine IMHO.

As far as RAM, get two sticks of 4GB high speed memory.  (or 2X8GB if you need it for other things)

Did you mean 760?

I agree that the RAM is too much.  I think he's probably going to go with 8GB to start with.  He can always add more later.

He does like to fly in heavy weather though.

Did you mean 760?

I agree that the RAM is too much.  I think he's probably going to go with 8GB to start with.  He can always add more later.

He does like to fly in heavy weather though.

Sorry, I did.  760 or 660 will be OK, I think.

Obviously you can spend more money  ^_^

Point on the RAM, make sure it is a pair of (preferably fast) memory modules  (not a single 8GB module)

Bert

Sorry, I did.  760 or 660 will be OK, I think.

Obviously you can spend more money  ^_^

Point on the RAM, make sure it is a pair of (preferably fast) memory modules  (not a single 8GB module)

I'm aware about the RAM but thanks.

At over $400 I'm thinking the 4GB 770 is out of the price scope.

Point taken.  I would however recommend a third party cooler on the 4790k even without overclocking, even if its just a Coolermaster 212 or an Artic Freezer.  These things run hot, and the stock cooler isnt upto much.

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

A 2GB GTX 760 will easily be good enough for FSX, unless we are looking at 5760x1080 across three monitors. I doubt that is the case here.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Point taken.  I would however recommend a third party cooler on the 4790k even without overclocking, even if its just a Coolermaster 212 or an Artic Freezer.  These things run hot, and the stock cooler isnt upto much.

Sorry,  If you are not overclocking , the Intel cooler will actually do the job, assuming you have a good, well ventilated enclosure.

Bert

Usually yes, check the various hardware sites. Reports all over the net of the 4790k running too hot on the stock cooler.

There's a thread on here lower down where one guy is getting 50c at idle, and he isn't alone going by other sites.

UKV6427

Get i7 4790k and z97 mobo, 760 gpu I got mine for $1300 with win 7. Running fsx it stays 4.2 and 4.4 speed running items. Stock cooler will be fine, I got h60 cooler for extra $20.00 on my machine just to protect CPU. I just use one monitor and fly A2a c172 and Carendo c172 and c152 get active sky going job done. Fly in rural Minnesota and Iowa and crank fsx autogen default to full setting not bad looking now.

Sorry to barge in here, but with a GTX 770 2GB OC, how many monitors can it handle, all being Full HD, and how will it work with FSX?

Cheers.

Another question on the issue...

What brand of board?  Asus, MSI, or what?  I would tend to lean toward MSI but I haven't looked at this stuff in quite a while.

It seems that even with    the MSI Z97 there are about 17 different models of that board.  All with slightly different configurations like number of USB ports, etc.  Is there something specific I should look for or is it really just available slots, ports, etc.?

For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001312&IsNodeId=1&Description=z97%20motherboard&name=MSI&Order=BESTMATCH

Thanks!

Another question on the issue...

What brand of board?  Asus, MSI, or what?  I would tend to lean toward MSI but I haven't looked at this stuff in quite a while.

It seems that even with    the MSI Z97 there are about 17 different models of that board.  All with slightly different configurations like number of USB ports, etc.  Is there something specific I should look for or is it really just available slots, ports, etc.?

For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001312&IsNodeId=1&Description=z97%20motherboard&name=MSI&Order=BESTMATCH

Thanks!

Down to personal preference.  I prefer Gigabyte myself, used them for years.  Never had much luck with MSI boards, but no problems with Asus or Asrock in the past.

UKV6427

Down to personal preference.  I prefer Gigabyte myself, used them for years.  Never had much luck with MSI boards, but no problems with Asus or Asrock in the past.

I guess the brand isn't really the point behind the question though.  I'm sure Gigabyte and Asus have the same numerous options.