Sign in to follow this  

P3D V2.3 Beta 2 Testing

Remember that you'll only get performance improvements if you're GPU-limited, because the optimisations concern cloud shadows and the Ultra water. If you're CPU-limited, unless they add in CPU optimisations before 2.3 is released, you won't see any performance benefit.

Thanks for all your dedication to the hobby Robb.
 DITTO.  I am living vicariously through your videos :)

I'll get time frame analysis up this weekend ... IMHO that will tell a more accurate story ... I recorded some flights (P3D's flight recorder) in 2.2 and used FRAPS timeframe capture of data.  I'll use these same recorded flights for replay in 2.3 and capture timeframe data again and compare/overlay 2.2 vs 2.3.

Bare in mind this v2.3 Beta is still running "alone" ... as in no nVidia driver support yet.  Since nVidia driver support for other titles has shown anywhere from 7-50% performance gains, I still believe there is some performance left on the nVidia table (even if only single GPU).  It's good for folks to make noise with nVidia and/or AMD about getting driver support for P3D ... it certainly can't hurt.

Cheers, Rob.

someone:

I'm curious about what kind of system you used, Rob.

Rob:

i7 3960X @ 4.4 to 4.6 Ghz, 32GB RAM @ 2000 Mhz, Titan 6GB, 3TB SSDs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course with 6 cores 15 Mb cache there is no stutters :)))))

Rob, have you tried MSI Afterburner for QuadHD recording?  I was able to get it to record in a hacked desktop mode (found a youtube video instruction for it) to get 5760x1080.  I don't know about how smooth it is, if it induces stutter; I really only tinkered for a few minutes to see that it was possible.  

Starting next week I may have a lot more time to mess with things ... for a few weeks.

Man that video is stunning.  You and Sesquashtoo should go on the road together.  

Very excited to read that the stutters are reduced. Can't wait for 2.3 release now!

Unortunately I see on the movie Gloabl lights still popping up :/

What about building autogen? Since I have installed FTX Global my whole building autogen is broken :/ Houses popping up as large squares and appear far too late.

Rob, have you tried MSI Afterburner for QuadHD recording?

FRAPS is actually the best tool to record stutter free as you can lock the frame rate when it records which will make and P3D Unlimited setting match FRAPS recording setting ... this provides for the smoothest playback I've seen.  Shadow Play doesn't lock the frame rate so I can be recording at 30 fps with Shadow Play while the sim is running anywhere from 30-60 fps when Unlimited.  But FRAPS typically consumes about 3-4 fps so have to make sure one sustain 34 fps or higher.

What about building autogen? Since I have installed FTX Global my whole building autogen is broken :/ Houses popping up as large squares and appear far too late.

You might want to check in with Orbx, I don't have that problem -- but it sounds more like a configuration issue with your PC/settings.

Cheers, Rob.

Of course with 6 cores 15 Mb cache there is no stutters

I have not made any AffinityMask adjustments, I'm using whatever P3D V2.3 defaults to.  But I am looking forward to the Haswell-E (8/16) CPUs with X99 chipset and DDR4 and that is due out soon (within a month or two).

Everyone gets spinning (Cumulus & Stratus) clouds, as its the way they work in P3Dv2 [which is different to the way they display in FSX]... do some reading on the subject, there is a lot out there :wink:

I have never seen spinning clouds

That's because the clouds don't really spin around like tops.  The clouds just move incorrectly as one moves one's viewpoint, which destroys the immersion.

In my opinion, the terminology used to describe this issue is  a bit nebulous (cough, cough).  The problem is exacerbated by using TrackIR, panning rapidly and using low decimal zoom values (for example, 0.2 to 0.4). Stratus-type clouds also seem to exhibit the problem more than cumulus-type clouds. Clouds that are very close to the aircraft also are affected more than those that are farther away.

I'll verify those bugs you listed, but Wes B. wants me to focus on SimDirector so not sure how much of that testing I can get in.  I squeezed this "quick" testing out in the wee hours of the morning and wanted to share my positive results and let folks know that 2.3 is being worked on, the world isn't ending, and LM haven't gone bankrupt ;)

Thanks Rob, that would be much appreciated. And it is always so nice to hear that the next update is being worked on. So of us have a difficult time with patience, and get a bit nervous when LM is silent for too long.:)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thanks for keeping us informed, Rob. The video is very impressive and it's excellent to see LM using phased betas as well as involving experts such as yourself.

Like many, I am keen to get in the air with 2.3 but judging by the visible improvements made from the last beta, it's going to be well worth the wait however long that turns out to be.

Can I just also say thanks for sharing your P3D settings... after two frustrating months battling 2.2 to find the sweet spot on my system, I tried your settings and they have totally revolutionised my experience.

So quick testing of FOG and A2A - departure from SimDirector testing for a moment.

Can I just also say thanks for sharing your P3D settings... after two frustrating months battling 2.2 to find the sweet spot on my system, I tried your settings and they have totally revolutionised my experience.

Glad it helped ... I've provided many settings pending on people's goals.  This one:

is my current "favorite" not the best AA possible but still pretty darn good -- SGSS AA will always induce a huge FPS hit with clouds, no real way around that as it's don't managed by DX11 nor LM but the video card driver.  If you have a more powerful system (my i7 3960X is gonna be 3rd gen soon, so it's showing some age), you can probably turn up Building density to "Dense" or "Very Dense".

Same settings as above line, only difference is I turned Building Density up to "Dense".  Please take note of cloud shadow draw distance, 80,000m (that's pretty extreme).

Sunset, cloud layers, fog ... this would bring v2.2 down to about 10 fps on my system, I'm happy to report I'm seeing a 25-30 fps (locks at 30 fps when recording with FRAPS).

I used FRAPS to record this time as it does a better job of capturing color gradiants such as FOG at lower video compression settings.

Confirm that A2A light issue is fixed ... well sorta, I had cycle thru the landing/taxi lights to get that glow effect to show.  But otherwise there is no longer any need to reload the aircraft:

YouTube should make available at 1440p in a few minutes.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Did they improve the water textures in 2.3?

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Hi, Rob! Nice video!

I have i question for u. Are you install beta2 on fresh 2.2 or on beta1? Cause I have a trouble with installing b2 on b1... Ground shaders doesn't work. Ground a transparent now! I can rollback now :(