Sign in to follow this  
User72

Dovetail & Flight 1, Nothing To See Here, Move Along.

This mightve been answered but, would one be allowed to install freeware into it? So the only DLC for XP right now is an airport. Would a new user be able to install freeware already available, or will they find a way to lock it so they can protect their profits?

Going to assume you mean Xplane, if so yes,  you can install freeware same as in the non-Steam version. The only difference I believe is the Steam Version won't receive the Betas.

In my experience with many, many other Steam games, a good percentage of them are very easily added to outside of anything Steam does.  For those games, Steam only acts initially as a purchase and delivery system, and then as a launcher after that point.  Programs can be 'locked down', so to speak, so that the file structure cannot be altered, but my understanding is that it has to be coded into the game itself, which is not something that I would believe Dovetail is going to do for distribution of FSX.

Time will tell, of course.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I find that in order to get the very best out of FSX, you really need to be down in the dirt with all the config files of every component piece and intimate with the structure of the simulation.

+1 And another thing that would be an annoyance, would be Steam Verification it performs when things stop working.

What that does is wipe the existing install and replace with default. So any user addons or DLC not purchased through steam will be wiped out. Of course the user could back all the up, but what about someone who is not FSX savvy ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

+1 And another thing that would be an annoyance, would be Steam Verification it performs when things stop working.

What that does is wipe the existing install and replace with default. So any user addons or DLC not purchased through steam will be wiped out. Of course the user could back all the up, but what about someone who is not FSX savvy ?

This is not necessarily true.

The user has to manually conduct a local files verification of any title on Steam, and only then, it will only replace the core FSX files. This would be akin to conducting a Repair from the DVD.

Steam also has the ability to backup program files, but will only backup the files that would be replaced with a file verification.

No need to scare anyone away from the Steam version, even if I'll never partake in it. ^_^

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Going to assume you mean Xplane, if so yes, you can install freeware same as in the non-Steam version. The only difference I believe is the Steam Version won't receive the Betas.

Thanks. I guess it would be similar for either platform

Yes, Steam doesn't wipe the installation. It instead re-downloads all missing files. If the workshop (which would only be freeware) is added, those would be re-downloaded.

The only thing you would do is replace your .cfg with a backup. And whatever you bought through Steam by Flight1 would be re-downloaded, and any outside mods probably would be ok, depending on how back the files were messed up.

File validation is actually a godsend, so you don't have to re-download the whole thing again.

Yes, Steam doesn't wipe the installation. It instead re-downloads all missing files. If the workshop (which would only be freeware) is added, those would be re-downloaded.

The only thing you would do is replace your .cfg with a backup. And whatever you bought through Steam by Flight1 would be re-downloaded, and any outside mods probably would be ok, depending on how back the files were messed up.

File validation is actually a godsend, so you don't have to re-download the whole thing again.

+1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As many official and unofficial mods I have added to Steam have yet to have an issue.

This mightve been answered but, would one be allowed to install freeware into it? So the only DLC for XP right now is an airport. Would a new user be able to install freeware already available, or will they find a way to lock it so they can protect their profits?

I don't have any experience with it, but Steam has this thing called Steam workshop which allows you to distribute / install (free) mods via Steam. The game has to be set up to support it, but it could potentially offer a very easy way to share freeware. Go to Steam Workshop, pick out add-on you like, click 'install', done.

DOVETAIL GAMES ANNOUNCES NEW PARTNERSHIP WITH CARP FISHING EXPERTS KORDA - See more at: http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2014/aug/7/dovetail-games-announces-new-partnership-with-carp-fishing-experts-korda

Ya' can't say they aren't an active company!!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've heavily modded many steam games using non workshop mods. Workshop is a utility to add mods to the game, it doesn't inhibit your ability to manipulate the files locally, nor does any of Steam's file verification functionality. The ONLY issue could be with auto updating which you can thankfully disable.

The only way for a game to be unmoddable is if the file structure is constructed such that modifications aren't practical and require you to dismantle a few composite files that need to be reconstructed by some proprietary program. There are games like that out there like this but they certainly will not be reconstructing the entire basis for how FSX reads its own files to make it into one of them. The limitations of the deal with Microsoft alone implies such changes would be a violation. Steam does not check your files to prevent you from modding. The worst case scenario with most games is that you fail a checksum and are unable to connect to multiplayer servers, and thats a pretty typical thing when preventing hacking in PvP games.

Their plans for implementing FSX multiplayer could be interesting to observe, to see how they face the challenge of people having wildly different resources loaded. 

Overall though, you old guys need to not be so wary. Steam is a pretty nice system all things told.