Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

How To Lose An A List Passenger!

Why was that gate agent wasting Southwest's time by following the CBS Twitter feed?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Like all of these incidents, there are undoubtedly multiple sides of the story. This angry man clearly was not aware of the Southwest policy that only A-List passengers will be able to preboard, members of their party are not eligible to board at that time. Obviously, with two young children, the agent could make an exception, provided a supervisor is easily able to be reached to verify and allow the exception. 

I doubt that a twitter post led to the man's removal from the aircraft. According to the article, the gate agent felt threatened. If there's one place you don't want to cause someone to feel threatened, it's at the airport. It's unfortunate that these events have to occur, but everyone will likely side with the passenger in this case when that may or may not be right. Either way, people seem to not understand two sides of the story, only the "the right" one.

Why was that gate agent wasting Southwest's time by following the CBS Twitter feed?

The tweet was sent to Southwest, not CBS, and it's of course quite possible that he announced to the gate agent in question and/or other SWA staff that he would be tweeting. Though that's speculation on my part (about the announcing that is, the tweet has been saved, because nothing on the internet ever truly disappears).

Why do you want to be first to board on an airliner anyway?

The less time I spend in those nasty little cramped seats the better. I always try to be the last onboard. Its not like the plane is going to get to the destination any faster just because you're first in line to get onboard.

www.antsairplanes.com

Why do you want to be first to board on an airliner anyway?

The less time I spend in those nasty little cramped seats the better. I always try to be the last onboard. Its not like the plane is going to get to the destination any faster just because you're first in line to get onboard.

Southwest has a... well... unique boarding process. There are NO assigned seats, even if you're an A-Lister. Based on the time you check in, you are assigned a number between 1 and 60 and a letter of A, B, or C. The first to check in (beginning 24 hours before scheduled departure) get the lowest numbers. A1-A15 are usually reserved for business select passengers, who pay extra, and have that as an added perk of their fare. So, you would need to check in immediately at 24 hours pre departure. Then they line you up based on letter/number and do it in alphabetical/numerical order. There will be families that have to split up and take all middle seats nowhere near each other, which is one of the most common complaints of the system.

Thanks for the info Jeremy.

Sounds like a pretty wacky system if you ask me. I mean, what does the airline gain by having such a weird way of assigning seats?

www.antsairplanes.com

One has to be really careful of what one says on Twitter and Facebook. Everybody high and low is listening in!

Thanks for the info Jeremy.

Sounds like a pretty wacky system if you ask me. I mean, what does the airline gain by having such a weird way of assigning seats?

I'm not quite sure. They are a low cost carrier and I guess seat assignments is something they just aren't interested in. I'm not sure how that really accrues further costs though.