Sign in to follow this  
Yaffa

How's The Amd R9 290 ?

As I'm going to buy a new graphics card(R9 290 with a custom cooler) I thought it might be better to ask for experiences. Anything need to know about this card with P3d v2 ?

I use an r9 270x (in fact I have two wired in crossfire) although I don't exploit the power of both cards at the moment I find the gpu to perform well. It does appear to have its memory used up pretty heavily.

I believe any performance issues I currently experience are caused by a bottleneck at the CPU.

But I am totally happy with the 270x so I suspect the 290 would be just as good.

Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Im using an R9 290 and it works without issues. The only "problem" that i have is that the AA and AF dont have any effect on the catalyst control center, at least on prepar3d. I need to set the AA and AF on prepar3d itself. that way it works great. I dont know if that's a p3d bug, amd bug or if there's something wrong on my system.

I dont have any other game to test, but p3d works without issue.

Juan Ramos

Im using an R9 290 and it works without issues. The only "problem" that i have is that the AA and AF dont have any effect on the catalyst control center, at least on prepar3d. I need to set the AA and AF on prepar3d itself. that way it works great. I dont know if that's a p3d bug, amd bug or if there's something wrong on my system.

I dont have any other game to test, but p3d works without issue.

Although AA and AF settings will not work in CCC for a p3d profile it should work

if you set what you want as "System Settings" in CCC.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

It won't, pretty much. I think the only thing that has any effect in ccc is the supersampling setting - this comes with a reasonably hefty performance impact.

Have you heard of radeon pro before? It's like a ccc on steroids and does actually have an effect on most games, including p3d. Use that to override aa settings and force v synch etc

I just exchanged my HD7870 for a R9 290X and it looks to be the most noticeable upgrade I ever did in hardware. Cost: 430 euro's but it's worth it. Initially I used the same P3D.cfg with this new card, so P3D settings were the same, though performance boosted. In the same situation where I got 20-30 fps previously, I'm now getting 30-60 fps. And there is room to slide things a little higher : )

Great card, well worth the money especially since you can get them at a decent price! Those 4gig really help for driving high resolution. So while I aspire a Titan Z, I can enjoy decent frames without mortgaging the house!

I'm using R290X as well and it was the best upgrade I ever did! It works absolutely good in P3dv2.3! 400Euros worth it! Go for i!

It won't, pretty much. I think the only thing that has any effect in ccc is the supersampling setting - this comes with a reasonably hefty performance impact.

Have you heard of radeon pro before? It's like a ccc on steroids and does actually have an effect on most games, including p3d. Use that to override aa settings and force v synch etc

Yes I tried Radeon Pro and was not really impressed.

Only thing that seems to work for me is supersampling which, as you say, can be set in CCC.

All those other RadeonPo options gave worse results than just straight SS.

One thing I found was that using SS + MSAA set to x4 in P3D gave very similar visuals

to using SS + x8 MSAA in P3D but with almost twice the frame rate.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.