Sign in to follow this  
rwat

More Accurate Fs9 Real World Weather?

Is there any free software that would improve the accuracy of fs9's real world weather? I am no more than 20 miles from the nearest weather station in reality and I can look outside and it is overcast and raining heavily for example while in the sim it is set with something like light clouds with winds varying from 15 to 25 knots and this is how the real world weather is most of the time with almost no variation. The only thing that changes very much at all is barometric pressure and wind direction.

Hi.

There's a reasonable free weather application called FSMetar. It should be available here:

but I'm at work and my company security won't let me through to verify the site is still running. I downloaded it a few years ago, along with a year's worth of off-line weather files as I don't have an internet connection at home. The application works offline and online so you can use realworld & real-time weather or set your own as you wish.

There's a beta version in the Avsim library but you should be looking instead for version 1.5.2

If the site above is defunct, the author is Ivan Alvarez. That may help with an extended Google search...

Cheers,
D

Choose something with great support and accurate weather depiction:

Active Sky Evolution (ASE)

I've never been disappointed and server is always "up".

gwillmot

The OP was after freeware...

Gwillmot, your title reminds me of the old England's Glory matchbox joke about the telephone caller asking for the head of the household but getting the chairman of the fundraising committee (autres temps...).

Rwat, if the beta is ok for you that's fine. If you want the newer version but can't find it, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

D

Gwillmot, your title reminds me of the old England's Glory matchbox joke about the telephone caller asking for the head of the household but getting the chairman of the fundraising committee (autres temps...).

Rwat, if the beta is ok for you that's fine. If you want the newer version but can't find it, drop me a PM.

Cheers,

D

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

P.S.: My title of "king" should not be a factor here .... oops ... I'm sorry, title of "queen's knave"

Hi.

There's a reasonable free weather application called FSMetar. It should be available here:

but I'm at work and my company security won't let me through to verify the site is still running. I downloaded it a few years ago, along with a year's worth of off-line weather files as I don't have an internet connection at home. The application works offline and online so you can use realworld & real-time weather or set your own as you wish.

There's a beta version in the Avsim library but you should be looking instead for version 1.5.2

If the site above is defunct, the author is Ivan Alvarez. That may help with an extended Google search...

Cheers,
D

Ok, thanks (:

Cheers,

D

what is the difference between the beta version and the most recent one?

Also, I got an error message saying: "Component 'MSNET.OCX' is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when I tried to install the beta version of FSMetar, why is this happening? isn't it freeware???  :Confused:

Ok, thanks (:

what is the difference between the beta version and the most recent one?

Also, I got an error message saying: "Component 'MSNET.OCX' is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when I tried to install the beta version of FSMetar, why is this happening? isn't it freeware???  :Confused:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/bef8d8aa-462f-4afe-a358-05c70a810873/msinetocx-not-correctly-registered-in-windows-7

Never mind, I found the full version on flyaway simulations website, thanks for the help.

The version I found is not the most recent and it either won't do anything or it will crash, where can version 1.5.2 be found?

..... see ....... maybe Active Sky Evolution wasn't such a bad idea after all.  Time is money.

..... see ....... maybe Active Sky Evolution wasn't such a bad idea after all.  Time is money.

....Well...... sitting around doing nothing doesn't waste money lol, but yes I am considering getting it, though I think it is overpriced at $40. 

though I think it is overpriced at $40

Weather programs are all expensive since they allow for your use of their servers over the life of the product.

If you want the most accurate weather program, as distinct from the best looking, may I suggest you investigate FSGlobal Real Weather (FSGRW).

The version I found is not the most recent and it either won't do anything or it will crash, where can version 1.5.2 be found?

Check your personal messages.

Weather programs are all expensive since they allow for your use of their servers over the life of the product.

If you want the most accurate weather program, as distinct from the best looking, may I suggest you investigate FSGlobal Real Weather (FSGRW).

Interesting, It looks like you get 8 free weather downloads so you can try the program, I may get it if I like it, I like how it works with fs9, fsx and p3d, but it is very likely I will stick with fsmetar for now because it looks like Dave will help me with getting it working.