Sign in to follow this  
mderosa3

Reinstalled Fsx: Test Oom, Pause And Ctd

Before the 777-200 SP1 I would get the Pause (about 1 min in length and at random times, random flights) and only when I ran REX Wx Engine. I stopped running real time wx through REX and the pauses went away.  I would also get CTD randomly but only when I crossed from one continent to another (North America to Europe). I was also running FTX Global as an add on.  So prior to SP1 I would NOT run REX Real Time Wx and I would stay in one continent during flights. During this issue free flights, my system was overclocked and stable at 3.8 (Prime, OCCT, Memtest etc).  I never experienced OOM but this is not to say the CTD's weren't related.

Post 777-200SP1.  I switched the WX engine to ASN and the Pause returned but this time in greater length (5+min).  I also attempted another long haul (different continents) KWRB-OMDB but somewhere over the Med I got the CTD and during that flight I had 3 5+min Pauses.

I just reloaded FSX following the guide below (same procedures PMDG recommends.) I have not added any add ons besides the PMDG 777-200 and I haven't the SP1 for the 200.  

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I just completed the same long haul flight from KWRB-OMDB and interestingly I have not had any issues.  None, no OOM, No CTD, No Pauses. I'm going to test this same flight with my CPU OC and if that goes well then test with SP1 and if that goes well, load ASN and then FTX Global.  

More to follow...

Michael

It is my experience that a CPU load increase, increases the likelyhood of freezes/pauses.

So the following things help me reduce freezes/pauses:

- not running too much addon software parallel to FSX.

- reducing FSX slider settings.

- if possible, use task manager to put addon software on another cpu core than core 0 (like ASN, move it away from core 0)

- overclock your PC (carefull with that one as an instable overclock can cause all kinds of problems including freezes!)

Rob Robson

Before the 777-200 SP1 I would get the Pause (about 1 min in length and at random times, random flights) and only when I ran REX Wx Engine. I stopped running real time wx through REX and the pauses went away.  I would also get CTD randomly but only when I crossed from one continent to another (North America to Europe). I was also running FTX Global as an add on.  So prior to SP1 I would NOT run REX Real Time Wx and I would stay in one continent during flights. During this issue free flights, my system was overclocked and stable at 3.8 (Prime, OCCT, Memtest etc).  I never experienced OOM but this is not to say the CTD's weren't related.

Post 777-200SP1.  I switched the WX engine to ASN and the Pause returned but this time in greater length (5+min).  I also attempted another long haul (different continents) KWRB-OMDB but somewhere over the Med I got the CTD and during that flight I had 3 5+min Pauses.

I just reloaded FSX following the guide below (same procedures PMDG recommends.) I have not added any add ons besides the PMDG 777-200 and I haven't the SP1 for the 200.  

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I just completed the same long haul flight from KWRB-OMDB and interestingly I have not had any issues.  None, no OOM, No CTD, No Pauses. I'm going to test this same flight with my CPU OC and if that goes well then test with SP1 and if that goes well, load ASN and then FTX Global.  

More to follow...

Michael

Very good debugging approach and I am sure it will be interesting to see what actually caused your problems. Making changes one at a time allows you to isolate the problem(s).

I also use NickN guide and have been doing so for years. I have never had a problem. My testing shows that the 777F SP1 uses approx. 0.850 gig of VAS. I can easily induce OOMs by cranking up LOD and/or traffic or by using higher rez textures (I use 1024). But the times of "just loading everything to the max" are gone and one has to make some priority calls if we want to use these cutting edge and remarkable simulations put out by PMDG and others. 

When I fly low altitude in my other aircraft, I use "heavier" FSX settings. When I am flying the 777X, I am so busy concentrating on flying that "lighter" FSX settings go virtually unnoticed.

Cheers, Scott