Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Openlc Europe Is Just Gorgeous

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Though I think my mind is being warped by spending a lot more time in xp10 at the moment where the level of graphics you can get for $0 (or whatever you want to donate) makes fsx and it's brethren look crap in comparison to be brutally honest.

X-Plane is pretty good, I also think better than P3D and FSX - but I wouldn't say that they look like crap.

It is starting to look pretty good there these days, although of course not nearly as good as OSM photoscenery with perfect autogen - which gives you the best of photogen with the best of autogen with Worldd2XP.

And the shaders in X-Plane are much better.

Question re Orbx Open LC Europe....Must you have FTX Global to get the benefits of Open LC Europe, or would it improve FSX land class irrespective of underlying textures? Global + Open LC is rather expensive. Has anyone installed just Open LC Europe?

Cheers,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Question re Orbx Open LC Europe....Must you have FTX Global to get the benefits of Open LC Europe, or would it improve FSX land class irrespective of underlying textures? Global + Open LC is rather expensive. Has anyone installed just Open LC Europe?

Cheers,

Stuart

I don't remember now if OpenLC requires Global(you can check their website and I'm sure it says there) but I do know that to get the full effect, you would need Global with OpenLC.  OpenLC calls textures that only exist in their Global product.  So, without Global, I'm not sure what would happen or get displayed since those specific textures would not exist.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

There web site says that Global Base is needed for "correct operation", so I guess from what you say some anomalies may appear otherwise. As I mainly fly in the UK, and have GenX photo scenery for England & Wales, guess I give it a miss for the time being.

Thanks,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

There web site says that Global Base is needed for "correct operation", so I guess from what you say some anomalies may appear otherwise. As I mainly fly in the UK, and have GenX photo scenery for England & Wales, guess I give it a miss for the time being.

Thanks,

Stuart

Yep.  I'd do the same in your situation then too.  It's when you start leaving your photo real areas that you'll then want to think about Global/OpenLC.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yes you need Global.

LC references texture sets that are included in Global.  If you didn't have them, FSX would probably throw up a generic texture, and really yuk things up!

Re: the X-Plane debate, well perhaps you guys have a point, where we're talking purely about visuals.  But I'm relatively new to the flight sim game and tried FSX first (not impressed first time around, but am now, thanks to the addons that make it a top drawer sim).   X-Plane, bought it 2 weeks ago and truly hated it.   Sold it on eBay 3 days later - I was never going to reconcile with that sim.    Playability, yukky runway textures, not to mention no airport buildings!! ..... only 4 or 5 top drawer complex airliners for it, terrible "atc", weather nowhere near as good as FSX with Opus and REX.     Perhaps it does have a better graphics engine but that's only a tiny part of the overall story.

Open LC EUR combined with FTX Global (you really need that) can only be described as nothing short of awesome! I don't use FTX Vector but still use my old UTX for vector data and that seems to do the job pretty well. Open LC is so good that even when flying in Britain or Ireland I frequently just use Open LC rather than switching FTX Central to Europe and using the regional FTX addons for these areas.

Bill