Sign in to follow this  
Guest panda234

Holy Smoke Batman, what's with the CRJ?

Guest panda234

Just tried the Feelthere CRJ after a while of not using it and was again blown away by how poor the frame rates were. So, just out of curiousity, I checked the size of one of the texture folders-61mb! Wow. Checked a bunch of other payware aircraft, including PMDG, RFP, CS, Dreamfleet, etc, and the next biggest one is 35mb, with most being a lot smaller than that. No wonder it takes a while for the aircraft textures to load when you switch to spot view, it's loading 61mb of data!Can someone check the ERJ folder size? I'm wondering how it is because I'm thinking of getting it, but not if it's 61mg, argh. billg

Guest bonjourmoi44

billg:Feelthere seems to get it better with each plane. The same folder for the ERJ is 14.6 MB or 1/4 of the CRJ. Nice improvement I would say.

Guest panda234

14.6mb is good! Thx Cameron...billg

Guest DreamFleet

Sounds like that 61mb folder might be all 32 bit textures. You can check this with Image Tool, and also reduce to DXT3, that will bring it down to about 15 mb.In fact, textures that do not require an alpha channel for reflections (often those used in the VC) can reduced to DXT1, which is 1/2 the file size of DXT3.Example: (for a 1024 x 1024 texture)32 bit texture = 4 mbDXT3 texture = 1 mb DXT1 texture = 512KWe used DXT1 for all the VC textures in our new Beech A36- works very well.Best to back up textures before doing conversions, and check the texture you are converting. If it is an external aircraft texture, a lighting texture, or one used for "glass", it must be at least DXT3 as it needs the alpha channel.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest panda234

Thx Lou. And I checked the A36 and its texture files are 11.5mb and the aircraft looks great!billg

Guest panda234

so ok, yeah, I did it. And wow, what a difference a year can make. There's not many developers that I'd buy a product from just because they did it, well, a few, and not exclusively, but rfp, pmdg, pss, maam, and a few others (food for thought for a next post; what classic addons do you have that you simply don't have time to fly?) that we all know. So welcome to the club! I hand flew it from KSEA to CYVR, short flight, and didn't read the manual, hehe. But that's me, WOW, nice airplane. My best to all that listened and went from one of the worst fps aircraft to one of the best. EDIT: hey cameron, meant the new one, the erj. rgds,billg