Sign in to follow this  
Falconfly

Time In Fsx

Hey guys.

With the launch of the 777-300er iam trying to get into long hauls however really dont have the time to manage it.

Wanted to get an insight of how you guys manage it.Also had a query about setting the time in FSX.

Here is my query-

Iam in VABB with a local time of GMT/utc +5:30.Lets say i want to fly a OMDB-VABB flight and leave from OMDB at a particular time.

1)What time should i set in fsx?

2)I normally use time acceleration 4x and 8x.Does fsx take that into consideration ?

3)Does fsx consider time zones ?

Thanks.

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

I use FS Realtime. It adjusts the local time as you go wherever you go.
You need FSUIPC to use this also.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

So how does it really work ? How do i set it up ? Does it work well with time acceleration ?

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

in denmark its dark 8 a clock in the evening in fsx, in reality 22.00 pm thats irretating me.

FSX is a flight sim not a planetarium. You'll also experience phases of the moon are off, star constellations are not 100% accurate, then sun rises at the same point each day, and there are no solar or lunar eclipses.

A fantastic freeware add-on for FSX...indispensable!

Works good with P3D also.

One thing though on some newer systems you need to install Visual Basic 5 to get it to run.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

FSX has what I call "setup phase" and "run phase".  In setup phase, FSX takes a local time as found on your computer system time, saved flight local time, or set via the free-flight menu.  FSX then determines the timezone offset based on the current location of the aircraft and applies this to determine and set the zulu (UTC) time.  Once UTC time is set, the setup phase ends and FSX enters run phase.  In run phase FSX maintains UTC time including speed up/slow down due to varying sim rate.  FSX then determines the timezone offset based on the current location of the aircraft and uses that to compute local time.  Note that FSX maintenance of correct UTC time isn't perfect, often it will slip over time while flying.  Utilities such as FSRealtime can prevent this slippage by correcting UTC time while in flight.

Where does the timezone offset come from?  FSX has a set of timezone offsets that are aligned with longitude.  Unfortunately the defaults are not correctly aligned because the longitude used for the boundary between offset 0 and offsets +1 and -1 (15 deg east and west respectively) is wrong (should be 7.5 deg).  FSX provides a means of correcting the default timezone offsets using bgl files compiled with bglcomp from the FSX sdk.  These bgl files consist of a set of rectangles aligned on lat/lon with specified timezone offsets.  These rectangles can also provide dates and offsets for "daylight savings".  Note that these daylight savings offsets have nothing to do with any daylight savings that might be used in the Windows OS.  As delivered, FSX comes with a single timezone bgl file that provides overage for western Europe and the US, using daylight savings offsets as observed in 2006.

I find that FSX does provide a pretty accurate planetarium.  In particular sunrise sunset seems pretty good.  I invite anyone who doubts to accurately compute their local time of sunrise/set (use UTC time to avoid possible wrong timezone offset) and setup FSX for that UTC time and note the elevation and azimuth of the sun vs computed.   Denmark was suggested as a problem.  I went to site timeanddate.com and it says for Jul 28 at Copenhagen sunset is 21:24 and azimuth is 306 degrees.  Also Denmark is observing CEST and the timezone offset is -2.0 so UTC of sunset is 19:24.  So I fired up FSX and placed aircraft at EKCH and took a look.  Here is a screen from 21:17 local.  Note that the upper limb of the sun is just disappearing behind the trees (hard to see so I put a arrow there).  Of course sunset is computed for the actual horizon corrected for refraction while the trees sort of block my horizon, but I think close enough.  Note also my whiskey compass is showing about 305 degrees.

DMyqYCw.jpg

scott s.