Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Radar Contact Dp No Alt Rest.

Is this correct of my understanding i want to fly my SID out of edinburgh my home airport.

I select no alt rest. And ATC gives me climb to FL060 so if i level off at FL050 ATC won't nag me till 30nm but what happens if i fly above it lets say FL070 ATC will still leave me alone ok i got it BUT...

So why give a FL during climb out why can they not just give you clearance without an assigned alt.

Vernon Howells

FL060 is still your assigned altitude which is the max you can climb until ATC tells you otherwise (inside the 40nm terminal airspace or not), period.  Think of the 'No Alt Rest' as relief (no nags) from 'having' to maintain a positive rate of climb of at least a few hundred feet per minute, to the currently assigned FL060.  This is useful if my DP/FMC says to cross a certain waypoint at FL040 somewhere within the 40nm terminal airspace.  Now RC won't nag you while you level-off prior to and while crossing your FL040 FMC waypoint.  Then you would restart your climb to FL060, pending any further FMC altitude restrictions, but don't go any higher until RC clears you.  Regardless of this option, once your cross the 40nm terminal airspace boundary, you must maintain at least a minimum rate of climb to your next assigned FL, otherwise you'll get penalized.

No Alt Rest is not a 'free pass' (golden cheat) to climb straight to your filed FL of 370, for example.  But I do agree, JD could've labeled the option a bit better way back in the day.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Thanks jordan for clearing that up :)

Now if i want to fly my own SID with my ngx fmc do i have to make my waypoint beyond 30nm and ATC won't give me any instructions is that right?

Oh also i'm using PFPX to i have to include my SID in my plan for RC or do i have to leave it out?

Vernon Howells

When flight-planning, I also use PFPX and I had used FSBuild for many, many years as well.  I always leave my SID and STARS out of my exported FPs.  I try to find a "common" DP waypoint, regardless of runway or distance, and use it as my first exported FP waypoint.  But, I have to manually type in any/all 'common' DP waypoints in the PFPX FP editor I want to export as part of the FP.  This way RC and Flightsim Flight Keeper both know about a few of my DP waypoints.  So if my SID has 5 waypoints and waypoints 3, 4 & 5 are common to all departures in the direction I'm going, I will remove the SID while flight-planning in PFPX and manually type in waypoints 3, 4, and 5.  Then do the same for my STAR, find common waypoints to about a30 or 40nm from my destination then remove the STAR and type in those common STAR waypoints by hand.  I then export the FP.  Now in the FMC, I chose the exported FP (which only contains 'common' SID/STAR waypoints.  Then I chose the Rwy and full DP in the FMC and it will tie straight into the start of my FP (clear any duplicate waypoints on the LEGS page).  Then do the same for the arrival, select the STAR and arrival rwy, then clear the duplicate waypoints from the last few LEGS pages.

This way, my 'generic' FP works with multiple runways for both RC and FSFK, and I can get the FMC to still use the actual/desired SID and STAR.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

LOL, sorry - I know it's a bit confusing, but it's a work-around that has served me well over the years.

PFPX is currently designed NOT to export the SID & STAR portion of any FP - and, PDMG won't import any SID/STAR portion of a FP into the FMC (it'll strip it) during the 'load route'.  So...  I manually include any/all desired SID/STAR waypoints by typing in those waypoints by hand into the PFPX FP editor.  Some SIDs and STARs are extremely long and to have the a FP start 100 or 200nm away because the SID gets striped on export and/or FMC import, is not desirable.  Nor is ending an exported FP a long distance from the destination (because the STAR gets stripped).  This is why manually include some of the SID/STAR waypoints - to get my FP closer to the departure and arrival airports.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Right i see thats alot of work still thats the reason i left behind PFE lol

Hmm is there not another way i can fly my SID freely like having the waypoint outside 30nm from the airport thats what it says in the manual?

Vernon Howells

If you first waypoint is outside 30 nm you can choose any of the three options on the controller tab. RC will default to No Departure Procedure giving you altitudes and vectors and monitoring you. The other two give you no vectors and you choose whether to have RC monitor your climb to the initial altitude or not.

If you first waypoint is with 30 nm it assumes you are following a published procedure (No Dep Proc is grayed out) you navigate on your own to cross those waypoints (in the RC plan) within 30 nm with or without RC commanding/monitoring  altitudes. To get more flexibility use the NOTAMS option.

Got it ronzie thanks guys!!!

I was thinking about using the NOTAMS then RC will not give you and initial alt for takeoff is that correct and you have to contact centre when back on track is that right?

Vernon Howells

With NOTAMS for departure (or arrival) RC becomes advisory. It will still issue commands but will not hold you to them within the zones it is offered. In the case of departure after you declare enroute then the flexibility is gone.

For the arrival phase NOTAMS does not loosen the crossing restriction altitudes at 40 nm out from destination.

For the arrival phase NOTAMS does not loosen the crossing restriction altitudes at 40 nm out from destination

It does if you respond Ctl-6 "Unable to comply" (available with NOTAMS checked, but not with Otto handling comms). Then your told, "do the best can" and I follow the rest of my VNAV descent, picture perfect, every time.  :rolleyes:

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

How do i set it up for the PM to set my transponder?

Also after i get clearance i can no longer hear WX reports? I'm tuned to the ATIS FREQ but nothing happens!

Vernon Howells

Just finished that flight and ATIS didn't tuned even though i had the freq tuned?

PFE i could have ATIS 200 nm out

Vernon Howells

PM does not set the transponder, only comms. PM when handed controls gives up all control on approach.

You need to request ATIS via the RC menus. However, if you use Active Sky with FSX that ATIS will be incorrect for weather. See pinned topic.

Did you tune ATIS on COM1? That is all RC handles.

In RC you can request Leave ATC frequency for weather during most phases.

ai is not generated that far out (200nm) in FS so runway selection could be meaningless as weather is not the only consideration for runway choice.

Ok i'll set it manually once i get it on clearance!

Yeh tuned ATIS on comm1 i was trying to play it but got nothing? On PFE i can tune in ATIS and hear it fine...

Leaving radar freq for wx report - is that dest report ?

Vernon Howells