Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

$1300 4790K Build...need Help With Some Parts Before Sale Ends Today

I've decided to finally pull the trigger and build a rig only for fsx. I plan on running one 40" led 1080p Samsung tv on it, and one Dell 20" monitor for gauges when I get the home cockpit set up. Other than that I may only buy some scenery here and there, some plane add ons like the pmdg 737 and will be on VATSIM.

I set up a parts list but I'm having trouble choosing  a motherboard.  The motherboard I chose and 4790k are on a bundle deal.

Also do I need any additional fans to start setting up than what's included with the case?

I do not plan to overclock unless I am unhappy with the performance as I have never done that and not comfortable with that yet, but I suppose a motherboard and ram that can support and make that easier would be the better choice if you have opinions on that.

Thanks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B7mTpg

IMO. Your going to need either a larger SSD or another one to dedicate to the sim. Also a 750W PSU would give a little more room specially if you decide to OC. Also, computer work better with Memory sticks, unless I missed something.

IMO. Your going to need either a larger SSD or another one to dedicate to the sim. Also a 750W PSU would give a little more room specially if you decide to OC. Also, computer work better with Memory sticks, unless I missed something.

If I got a 1TB HDD would that size SSD be sufficient with it, or should I go for a 250GB SSD? Do I want to put both FSX and my Windows 7 OS on the SSD, then everything else on the HDD?

I left the ram out because I didn't know what to go for so I was looking for opinions. IT will be for FSX only.

Thanks for the reply

Ram 8gb 2133 or your preference. Speed isnt that big of factor with FSX. As far as OS. I run Win on a 150gb Raptor HDD, boot speeds are fine. I have FSX on a 256 Samsung SSD, Xplane and P3D on separate 180gb SSD's (I dont use them as often) . Also have an external 500gb USB drive for storage and backup. . Again, just an opinion. Youll get a 100 variations. ;)

I also run a very dedicated flight sim computer. ALL it runs are the sims. No other programs. Not even aniti maybe virus or browsers.

Thanks for the opinion. I upgraded the power supply to 750W gold,  SSD to 256 and added memory and an OS. 

I think I will put the OS and FSX on the 256GB SSD and everything else on a 500GB SATA HDD I have laying around too.

How does it look now, any thoughts on the motherboard and GPU?  I'm trying to keep it below $1500

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B7mTpg

This looks like a very nice config... either now or later, I would add a 1TB harddrive for data storage.

You do not want to start putting stuff like pictures or videos on that SSD or it will quickly overflow..

Bert

Thanks for the reply Bert. I don't plan on putting anything on the computer besides FSX related items and possibly some side work I do transcribing audio recordings, but I send those files to the external as soon as the project is complete. I have a laptop and external drives for everything else.

Does this setup seem like it would be user friendly for overclocking in the future for someone that hasn't done that before?

Also, is there a reason to stick with the 4790k over the 4770k?

Does this setup seem like it would be user friendly for overclocking in the future for someone that hasn't done that before?

You would need to add an aftermarket cooler for OCing. The 4790K default turbos very nicely but will run warm to hot. Im not even overclocking, just running turbo 4.7ghz and manual 1.3VCC but it requires increased cooling capacity. I have an H80i. BTYW, fantastic performance. No FSX stuttering whatsover, except with P3D micro stutters of course.

The 4790k turbo boost only will get you to 4.4ghz not 4.7...I recommend a 212 evo, or water cooling

Okay so as a stock setup out of the box I am okay with the fan it comes with, but if I decide to OC then get an upgraded cooler.

Does this board look user friendly for over clocking? I don't need extensive features but I would like to be able to monitor temperature if I overclock too.

I just bit the bullet too yesterday and upgraded. Installing FSX as I type. Here is what I went with.

Asus P97 Deluxe (NFC and WLC)

GSkill TridentX 16 GB PC3-19200

Corsair 900D case

Samsung 500gb sad

Other components I already had like a silvers tone 1500w pus and EVGA 780 GTX Ti

Will let you know my results

I just built my setup last week and I have the 4790k as well. I am currently sorting out a problem with overheating and while I have not confirmed that I have solved the issue yet (I'm giving it a couple more days to see how it runs) I believe the stock CPU fan that the chip comes with is inadequate for the 4790k. I had an issue with overheating and after testing different things I ended up going down to the local computer parts store and buying an upgraded heatsink fan which I installed two days ago now and so far it has solved the issue, I'm still waiting a couple more days before I can confidently say that the issue has been solved though.

Here is a link to the thread I started on the issue if you are interested in reading.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/447678-computer-freezing-and-making-loud-buzzing-noise/#entry3043401

Samuel Scully

I can recommend a Noctua cooler for the 4790K.....I got the 12MM dual fans and it has lowered temps by about 15C...amazing performance.

Noctua NH-D14 is legendary. I know, I've had mine for two builds.

Better still, the new NH-D15 is out!

If you don't mind the risk of leaks, the Corsair H110 is very quiet and cools a tad better than the D14. For AIO. the H110 is the best for cooling and silence.

A 4790k will buy you a faster cpu speed without overclocking, compared to a 4770k

Bert