Sign in to follow this  
HeX_MaN

Aviation Colleges With Bachelors Degree+Commercial License

Hey people,

I am a student in US, CT. Currently I am Junior and will graduate in 2016.

Right now I am trying to find the colleges that I want to apply in future years.

For now Embry-Riddle Miami, is my first choice. (Please don't hate and disagree, just help.)

I wanted to know if you know any good Aviation colleges, those provide Licenses up to Commercial and Bachelors degree at the same time as Embry-Riddle.

I don't care where it is, I don't care how expensive it is.

I am still considering all of the options and I will need any help possible :)

Thanks.

It all depends on what you want, and of course, what you can afford. Embry Riddle Daytona and Prescott, University of North Dakota, Purdue, and Ohio State all have very good aviation degree and training programs. They will come at a cost of course. With that type of University training, it is very structured and procedure based training aimed towards preparing students for the airlines, corporate, and/or military. Contacts and networking through them are also excellent. You will run into grads from these programs nearly everywhere you go in US aviation. Money-wise you will take a large hit, averaging 40k a year with flight costs. In the end you will more than likely end up instructing for 1-2 years afterwards building hours to qualify for applying to the airlines. Usually though it is very easy to get an instructing position at the university after all of your training. 

The other option is choosing a college/degree of your choice, but doing your training through schools like ATP or American Flyers, which run 'fast-track' type programs. These are fast and dirty, they get you what you need in terms of the certificates, at a lower cost and lower timeframe. The drawback is the quality you walk away with. I don't refer to the quality of instruction though, I've known instructors from both schools who were excellent, but it is the pace that is the concern. Retention and correlation especially in the long term don't always come easy when drinking from a firehose. It gets you what you need in terms of certificates and ratings, more quickly and cheaper than a big university. These schools also usually have good contacts and ways into the industry. More than likely though you will still have to instruct at that same school or part 61 to gain the hours you need afterwards, same as with the big universities. 

The certificates and the hours you hold don't come with the names of the school where you got them. Your resume probably will though. My opinion: If money is of no real concern, you want the big name, and you want to walk away with more knowledge than you know what to do with after each course, go big university (ERAU, UND, PU, OSU, etc.). If you want the certificates and the hours quick, go with the specialized flight schools (ATP, AF, etc.) with a 4 year degree from any college/university. 

Largely your actions, personality, and contacts will define where you will go in the US aviation industry. Where you get your certs and ratings may not matter at all. There's a lot of haters out there for both sides, big uni, specialized school, and part 61. In my opinion you just have to weigh the issue based on reputation, time, and money.

I'm not a pilot, but I recommend you give this guys videos a shot. He has a lot of questions regarding being an airline pilot, and what it actually takes to get there.

http://www.youtube.com/askcaptainscott

He also has some startling information on how much some pilots make before hitting Airlines.

Arizona State University offers a program where you can get your commercial license while working towards a degree. The largest plane you work with is a CRJ-700, so you will be well prepared for regional carriers. (IIRC) They also guarantee you an interview with Mesa Airlines, which is one of U.S. Airways Express' largest operators. You pay for your first three years of training but during your fourth year you actually earn money because by that time you have your instructor's license and teach the new students. So, you gain hours and make money which will be useful during applications and can cut time post-college trying to get hours up. 

I'm not a pilot either but was interested in this program when I still wanted to be a pilot, I don't think I want to anymore!  :P

It all depends on what you want, and of course, what you can afford. Embry Riddle Daytona and Prescott, University of North Dakota, Purdue, and Ohio State all have very good aviation degree and training programs.

Thanks sir. I appreciate your help. With the information you provided, it seems legitimate that I chose Big Universities. But the part I am stuck in, is when you said I will spend few years instructing after graduating to get hours. Can you please provide more information about this matter. Again thanks for this inspiring and useful information :) 

You will have to spend extra time instructing to get hours. Usually aviation schools provide the bare minimum necessary for getting the license, and a regional WILL NOT hire you with the bare minimum number of hours. That's why my response:

Arizona State University offers a program where you can get your commercial license while working towards a degree. The largest plane you work with is a CRJ-700, so you will be well prepared for regional carriers. (IIRC) They also guarantee you an interview with Mesa Airlines, which is one of U.S. Airways Express' largest operators. You pay for your first three years of training but during your fourth year you actually earn money because by that time you have your instructor's license and teach the new students. So, you gain hours and make money which will be useful during applications and can cut time post-college trying to get hours up. 

I'm not a pilot either but was interested in this program when I still wanted to be a pilot, I don't think I want to anymore!  :P

about ASU is very useful, because it is fast paced and you instruct DURING school, so you won't have to spend so much if any time outside of school gaining hours.

Thanks sir. I appreciate your help. With the information you provided, it seems legitimate that I chose Big Universities. But the part I am stuck in, is when you said I will spend few years instructing after graduating to get hours. Can you please provide more information about this matter. Again thanks for this inspiring and useful information :) 

As Jeremy has stated you will need a certain number of hours worth of total time to qualify for your rATP (restricted ATP) or full ATP, if you plan on flying in the US. The amount of hours required is broken down in a few ways.

Broken down simply:

Full ATP requirements: 23 years of age, 1500 hours total time (TT), 500 cross country time(XC), 100 night, etc.

Restricted ATP requirements:

- Former Military pilot= 750 total time

or

- Training done part 141 with a 4 year bachelor's in an aviation degree (at least 60 credit hours): 1,000 hours total time, 200 hours cross country time

or

- Training done part 141 with 2 year associates in an aviation degree (at least 30 credit hours): 1,250 hours total time, 200 hours cross country time

or 

- Training done part 61 or other: 1,500 hours total time, 200 hours cross country time.

There is also a new exemption for part 142 training that allows pilots trained under that part to have the same lower requirements of 1,000 hours total time. You won't have to worry about part 142 training though, practically no one out there does it anymore, big school's are nearly all part 141.

The source for everything I just listed there, you can search around the FAA website, but also you can read it straight from the regulations (if you're into that sorta thing  :lol:  ) here at part 61.159 and 61.160: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2#14:2.0.1.1.2.7.1.7

Now, that is quite a chunk of time needed, even if you qualify for the 141/142 exemption to lower it to 1,000 hours TT and 200 XC. You will definitely not get that much in training (if you do, you should be worried and reconsidering...). So, you will have to find a job flying that helps build those much needed hours. The number 1 job right out of training? Funnily enough it is instructing. Big schools always hire instructors, and especially lean on ones they have trained. Most universities will offer you an instructing position before you even graduate (it was in my case and almost everyone I've worked with). 

If you need the 1,000 hours TT and 200 XC for an rATP, you can probably achieve that in a year to a year and a half of instructing, if you have a relatively constant workload. If you need to get the 1,250 or 1,500 TT and 200 XC for the rATP, you can figure two years or a little more. The most difficult would be if you were to go for the full ATP. It also requires 1,500 TT, but it also requires 500 XC. That 500 XC is a killer, and can be pretty hard to get unless you have extra money to burn or get creative on your flights with students.

Regionals will hire you with an rATP, so don't worry too much about the difference between the rATP and full ATP. Typically the airline will take care of that when you qualify for upgrade.

Instructing is extremely rewarding though. Don't let that worry you. The upside if you end up not liking it is that you won't be doing it forever. Do your best while you're there, and remember that you were a student too at some point. Work for them and you'll be rewarded in the end of that one or two years with a few tons of metal, some turbine engines at your fingertips, and a hundred or so pax in the back.

Hope that helps clarify a little bit, feel free to ask anymore questions.

Instructing is extremely rewarding though. Don't let that worry you. The upside if you end up not liking it is that you won't be doing it forever. Do your best while you're there, and remember that you were a student too at some point. Work for them and you'll be rewarded in the end of that one or two years with a few tons of metal, some turbine engines at your fingertips, and a hundred or so pax in the back.

Hope that helps clarify a little bit, feel free to ask anymore questions.

Thanks :) Right now my first choice is Embry-Riddle and luckily in August, 2013 FAA added new rules, where pilots who graduated from Embry-Riddle and 4 Year Bachelor's+License schools will be required to have 1000 hours of flight time, but others 1500. 

The only thing left in my mind is, I am an international kid. When I instruct as a pilot, will they provide me with a place to stay? Also what is the average salary or hourly income?

Thanks again. You helped me a lot to understand those things :)

The only thing left in my mind is, I am an international kid.

If you are an International kid then I assume you are saying that you are not a U.S. Citizen. If that is the case there are a few more hurdles you need to overcome. You need approval to be trained by the TSA. AOPA has some good information here http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flight-Instructor-Resources/AOPAs-Guide-to-TSAs-Alien-Flight-Training-Citizenship-Validation-Rule

I am sure whatever college you choose will be able to assist you.

If you want more info feel free to PM me.

As Jeremy has stated you will need a certain number of hours worth of total time to qualify for your rATP (restricted ATP) or full ATP, if you plan on flying in the US. The amount of hours required is broken down in a few ways.

This is what my son is currently doing through Texas aviation. He looked at all the big schools, like Embry and visited with many ATP pilots. Just BIG money is what they are!

Edited by n4gix
Removed rediculously excessive quote.

Hey people,

I am a student in US, CT. Currently I am Junior and will graduate in 2016.

Right now I am trying to find the colleges that I want to apply in future years.

For now Embry-Riddle Miami, is my first choice. (Please don't hate and disagree, just help.)

I wanted to know if you know any good Aviation colleges, those provide Licenses up to Commercial and Bachelors degree at the same time as Embry-Riddle.

I don't care where it is, I don't care how expensive it is.

I am still considering all of the options and I will need any help possible :)

Thanks.

I'm on the same track except in a senior in college and already have my license. You have two options A. Go to a college with an air force ROTC program and join the air force and let them pay for your training which is way better than anything you'll get in the civilian world and get paid about $3500 a month doing it(after college) and start flying C-17s or whatever you get.B. got to a college with an aviation school pay out the wazoo for your training just to get a job instructing in a Cessna for a few years to build time making about $1800 a month, then apply to the regionals and make about $20,000 a year. The difference is that if you go the air force route you only have to have 750hrs total to get an airline job vs 1200 with a university and the major airlines prefer ex military pilots. Personally I'm trying to get into an air force reserve unit.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm on the same track except in a senior in college and already have my license. You have two options A. Go to a college with an air force ROTC program and join the air force and let them pay for your training which is way better than anything you'll get in the civilian world and get paid about $3500 a month doing it(after college) and start flying C-17s or whatever you get.B. got to a college with an aviation school pay out the wazoo for your training just to get a job instructing in a Cessna for a few years to build time making about $1800 a month, then apply to the regionals and make about $20,000 a year. The difference is that if you go the air force route you only have to have 750hrs total to get an airline job vs 1200 with a university and the major airlines prefer ex military pilots. Personally I'm trying to get into an air force reserve unit.

I think he'd have to become a US citizen to join the Air Force after ROTC, or any US branch of the armed services, no?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Here's a good website for those considering a career in aviation:

http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/

Quoting from his webpage in the Some Final Advice From Me section:

"Do not get a Bachelor's Degree in an aviation related field"

But ultimately the choice is yours

Chris Sunseri

I think he'd have to become a US citizen to join the Air Force after ROTC, or any US branch of the armed services, no?

yes but I believe the citizenship process is spead up if your joining the military.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

One thing to note is that if you go the military route, yes it's "paid for", but you'll be obligated to them for several years after you get done with ROTC. I have many other qualms with the military route that I won't expand on here, but that's one to consider.