Sign in to follow this  
HeX_MaN

Aviation Colleges With Bachelors Degree+Commercial License

I graduated from San Jose State University ( heart of Silicon Valley) in the mid 80's. SJSU had a great Aeronautical Engineering 4 year degree program. Upon graduating you were awarded a BS degree in AE and a pilots license. A friend of mine went through the program and got a gig upon graduation flying mail from KSFO to Eureka in a DC-3 (FO). Mind you this was in the mid 80's. They had a 727 donated by UAL at one point that they use for training. Don't know if the program is still offered but worth looking at SJSU. Go Spartans.

Cheers,

Brian

Here's a good website for those considering a career in aviation:

http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/

Quoting from his webpage in the Some Final Advice From Me section:

"Do not get a Bachelor's Degree in an aviation related field"

But ultimately the choice is yours

I agree with that statement. You need something to fall back on in case, God forbid, something happens rendering you unable to be in an aviation field.

Hmm. I don't even think about military option. It is just not for me and for my family. Also about the Major not in Aviation for college, I will take Computer Science, if any "Important" reasons take Embry-Riddle and University of North Dakota out of my choice list. I am still searching and looking for any possible education path and make a list out of it. At the end, I want to chose what suits me best. For now Embry-Riddle(and colleges like it including Uni of North Dakota) looks better then anything. Thanks :)

++ If you have any stories or any ideas about this field, please provide some information so that I get more information :) 

Get you license, get your instructor ratings and build your time. Getting an aviation degree might quite frankly be a waste of your money. If you want a good backup plan, learn a skill or do some kind of vocational training. It can never make any sense to spend over $100K to get a license and degree to work for pennies....

In addition to this, having a degree does not significantly increase your chances of being hired by an airline unless it's a major airline that specifically requires it.

In the end, it's up to you if you really want to go to a university but many haven't and they are doing just fine. When you join a regional airline you will meet others who didn't get degrees and you will have the same salary they do.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

I am not going to say ERU is not a good choice. However, like everything in life take the time to research and find a location that is going to give you the best bang for the buck. I got an Aviation Degree from Northwestern (NSU) back when ERU was a glimmer. I have no regrets with getting an Aviation Degree nor my choice of University. The four year experience of earning the sheepskin is well worth the time invested. The program, like so many part 141/142 schools was first class.

ERU is a first rate Aviation Program and is renowned for its innovation and quality of training. However, any advancements that ERU makes is usually quickly picked up by the "other" big schools. Unless you really want to be on the ground floor or just have an allure to ERU you can get the same education and ratings from others schools for less money. Also its not like ERU is like MIT or Duke. It's that pilot school down in Florida. Now, I understand having your heart set on something, so if it is what you really want then by all means go for it.

I went the military route and was fairly successful, flying most of my 22 years and retiring at a fairly senior rank. I also had the experience of a lifetime having flown to places that even airline pilots can only imagine. Post retirement I hired right into a major training corporation. I know allot of ERU graduates both from their undergrad and grad programs. Like any school they get out of it what they put into it. As far as being better prepared for an aviation career then anyone else? That is not my experience. I have trained guys with an ERU degree and others and neither one had any particular strength over the other.

Flying larger advanced aircraft is an expensive proposition and that Cessna time at most aviation schools are just basic skill builders. Even those that offer advanced simulators or other "complex" aircraft are generally still not over prepared. Lets face it airlines and corporate aircraft don't have Garmin 1000s (OK a few G1000s are in corporate) so all that time in an expensive G1000 Cessna is sometimes counterproductive. We have to untrain your G1000 habits and replace them with the avionics in the aircraft your are going to fly. Even those that offer RJ Type ratings is not 100% helpful. The big thing use to be to get your 737 type rating, but as the joke went "thats great if your going to work for Southwest." An ERJ or CRJ type is great in you have a type but unless you get hired into an RJ that money is wasted. OK you have some reference when talking high altitude aerodynamics and know what Mach Tucking is, but guess what. We teach all of that. If you get hired into a Cessna Sovereign then the $60K you spent on a RJ is mostly wasted. Spend your money wisely.

The days of corporate and airline pilots without some sort of Bachelors degree are waining. Yes I know a handful, but they continue to get older and it is their tens of thousands of hours of experience that keeps them hired. Very few young guys come though our doors without at least a Bachelors. Yes, we all know those guys who don't have a degree and continue to be successful. But, again I teach pilots and can let you know for a fact they are the exception and not the norm. If big iron is your goal do yourself right and get a degree. If you prefer AgCats then you can most likely skip the degree.

Finally, while there are a few real pilots and even fewer professional pilots on these forums I'd recommend you take this discussion off a Flight Sim forum and onto a professional pilot forum. AOPA is a great place and there are a few other places where lots of pilots hang out. I am not discounting any of the information or people here as I am a pilot and an FS junkie (yes I know sounds like the start of an intro for an AA meeting.) But, you can get allot more professional view points from a professional pilot forum.

In all best of luck with your endeavors. In 20 some years you may be the one giving the advice.

I am not going to say ERU is not a good choice. However, like everything in life take the time to research and find a location that is going to give you the best bang for the buck. I got an Aviation Degree from Northwestern (NSU) back when ERU was a glimmer. I have no regrets with getting an Aviation Degree nor my choice of University. The four year experience of earning the sheepskin is well worth the time invested. The program, like so many part 141/142 schools was first class.

ERU is a first rate Aviation Program and is renowned for its innovation and quality of training. However, any advancements that ERU makes is usually quickly picked up by the "other" big schools. Unless you really want to be on the ground floor or just have an allure to ERU you can get the same education and ratings from others schools for less money. Also its not like ERU is like MIT or Duke. It's that pilot school down in Florida. Now, I understand having your heart set on something, so if it is what you really want then by all means go for it.

I went the military route and was fairly successful, flying most of my 22 years and retiring at a fairly senior rank. I also had the experience of a lifetime having flown to places that even airline pilots can only imagine. Post retirement I hired right into a major training corporation. I know allot of ERU graduates both from their undergrad and grad programs. Like any school they get out of it what they put into it. As far as being better prepared for an aviation career then anyone else? That is not my experience. I have trained guys with an ERU degree and others and neither one had any particular strength over the other.

Flying larger advanced aircraft is an expensive proposition and that Cessna time at most aviation schools are just basic skill builders. Even those that offer advanced simulators or other "complex" aircraft are generally still not over prepared. Lets face it airlines and corporate aircraft don't have Garmin 1000s (OK a few G1000s are in corporate) so all that time in an expensive G1000 Cessna is sometimes counterproductive. We have to untrain your G1000 habits and replace them with the avionics in the aircraft your are going to fly. Even those that offer RJ Type ratings is not 100% helpful. The big thing use to be to get your 737 type rating, but as the joke went "thats great if your going to work for Southwest." An ERJ or CRJ type is great in you have a type but unless you get hired into an RJ that money is wasted. OK you have some reference when talking high altitude aerodynamics and know what Mach Tucking is, but guess what. We teach all of that. If you get hired into a Cessna Sovereign then the $60K you spent on a RJ is mostly wasted. Spend your money wisely.

The days of corporate and airline pilots without some sort of Bachelors degree are waining. Yes I know a handful, but they continue to get older and it is their tens of thousands of hours of experience that keeps them hired. Very few young guys come though our doors without at least a Bachelors. Yes, we all know those guys who don't have a degree and continue to be successful. But, again I teach pilots and can let you know for a fact they are the exception and not the norm. If big iron is your goal do yourself right and get a degree. If you prefer AgCats then you can most likely skip the degree.

Finally, while there are a few real pilots and even fewer professional pilots on these forums I'd recommend you take this discussion off a Flight Sim forum and onto a professional pilot forum. AOPA is a great place and there are a few other places where lots of pilots hang out. I am not discounting any of the information or people here as I am a pilot and an FS junkie (yes I know sounds like the start of an intro for an AA meeting.) But, you can get allot more professional view points from a professional pilot forum.

In all best of luck with your endeavors. In 20 some years you may be the one giving the advice.

Sir, Thank you for this great answer :) 

The reason ERU is my first choice is, from my perspective other options are nothing more then dream or simply impossible. 

For example, because I am the only kid in family, my parents will reject any idea of military. But I would like to be on military and get training...

The best option for me is a  college that gives Bachelor's and pilot training at the same time for 4 years, then doing instructing for few years to get my flight hours.

As a backup plan, I have medals and certificates from International Computer Olympias and Regional Degrees on computer programming. Which I think at least will not let me down...

For a job after graduating and filling my required flight time to my log, I will apply to some regional airlines in US, but I would rather work in Europe because there are many benefits of being pilot in Europe and having your degree from US.

Also for the AOPA, thanks.... I will ask the same question over there to compare answers :)

But if anyone knows any college that gives Bachelor's and Pilot training at the same amount of time, please provide some information :) 

Thanks

I'm assuming you want to be an airline pilot?  So the quick run down is three words:

Seniority Seniority Seniority

The faster you get out of college with your ratings and get to ATP minimums, the better.  I went the Embry-Riddle "Worldwide" route because it was much cheaper than moving to Daytona (and I was able to complete flight training locally much cheaper as well). 

Much has changed in the wake of Flight 3407, including the prerequisites for an ATP and the price of getting to that certificate (seriously ridiculous what non-ATP guys need now just to take the written).  What it will do short term is create a demand for qualified pilots at the regionals -- keep in mind the majors are also coming up on a "pilot shortage".  In the mean time, your short term goal should be to get a degree quickly and get to the regionals to start logging 121 multi-crew jet time.  Get to the regionals by getting quality time by instructing or whatever it is you can line up (especially instrument instruction).  Remember the magic number for the regionals is 1,500 hours.

So to answer your specific question:  Find a nice two year program that has an articulation agreement with an aeronautical university.  Typically you can receive an associates in something aviation related as quickly as you can get the credit hours, and then flow right into the bachelor's program and be finished within 3-3 1/2 years.  I'll use my local school as an example...

http://www.gtcc.edu/about-gtcc/campus-info-and-directions/aviation-campus.aspx

http://worldwide.erau.edu/locations/greensboro/index.html

You said cost isn't a concern, but I disagree. In this business the less debt you have, the better. No kidding.  That being said, two local schools in the area provide substantial discounts for students in the above program.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm assuming you want to be an airline pilot?  So the quick run down is three words:

Seniority Seniority Seniority

The faster you get out of college with your ratings and get to ATP minimums, the better.  I went the Embry-Riddle "Worldwide" route because it was much cheaper than moving to Daytona (and I was able to complete flight training locally much cheaper as well). 

Much has changed in the wake of Flight 3407, including the prerequisites for an ATP and the price of getting to that certificate (seriously ridiculous what non-ATP guys need now just to take the written).  What it will do short term is create a demand for qualified pilots at the regionals -- keep in mind the majors are also coming up on a "pilot shortage".  In the mean time, your short term goal should be to get a degree quickly and get to the regionals to start logging 121 multi-crew jet time.  Get to the regionals by getting quality time by instructing or whatever it is you can line up (especially instrument instruction).  Remember the magic number for the regionals is 1,500 hours.

So to answer your specific question:  Find a nice two year program that has an articulation agreement with an aeronautical university.  Typically you can receive an associates in something aviation related as quickly as you can get the credit hours, and then flow right into the bachelor's program and be finished within 3-3 1/2 years.  I'll use my local school as an example...

http://www.gtcc.edu/about-gtcc/campus-info-and-directions/aviation-campus.aspx

http://worldwide.erau.edu/locations/greensboro/index.html

You said cost isn't a concern, but I disagree. In this business the less debt you have, the better. No kidding.  That being said, two local schools in the area provide substantial discounts for students in the above program.

I definitely agree with you. Believe me if I was American I would chose that path... 

But if I go to a community college, despite I have to say this, but I will - my family will not ... um ... like it...

I don't know how to explain it... Because people who are in US from my country went to community college, just because their grades were bad and all those things. 

I don't care actually - I just need my degree and licences - but my family and people in such a small country will just hate the idea and add me to the losers list. I know it sounds stupid, but it is true.

That is the reason I am going to an prestigious college - at least I am dreaming about it. I feel like I am stuck and don't know what to do. 

Also, can you please provide what will the difference be, if I go to ERU and get my degree and licence in 4 years and +2 years of instructing to get my flight hours required for regional... Also FAA reduced fight hour limit for regionals in August, 2013 from 1500 to 1000...

Thanks...

I know someone that studied at Mount Hood Community College in Oregon. She wanted to be a pilot so bad.

Now she works for the FAA. I don't know what she does, but I would imagine that's a decent living.

Edit: Never mind.  I'm out of this one.

Did I say something wrong?

I know someone that studied at Mount Hood Community College in Oregon. She wanted to be a pilot so bad.

Now she works for the FAA. I don't know what she does, but I would imagine that's a decent living.

I don't mean Community College is bad. As I said if I was American or if I was from a country where people were more intelligent or at least healthy minded, I would chose the community college path. But because I can't change reality, I will go with ERU or anything like it, probably UND too...

To assume Community College is lower education then a university is generally correct in my experience when it comes to general studies. But there are fields some CCs excel in. In MHCC's case that was music for me. Specifically Jazz as MHCCs jazz program was huge. Even over most universities.

It was known for it's aviation program as KTTD is not far from it, it's radio program, and it's nursing program, which is in BIIIIIG demand now. It's music program was recently cut sadly.

Just remember this one tidbit: DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE TO GET A JOB

College gets you knowledge, certifications (if applicable) and experience. Not a job.

Some of them can help of course. But going to college to get a job isn't the mindset you want in my experience.

First of all, what do you really want to do? Do you want to be a pilot for a U.S Airline or go back to your home country and fly there?

Anyways, if you want to be a pilot that's great. If you want to do a 4 year aviation degree at the best (aka most expensive schools) thinking it will give you an advantage then you are mistaken.

Let's put things in perspective. You do a 4 year degree and then spend 1 or 2 years trying to build your time to the minimums. Ok, at the same time, someone else can complete their training in 6-9 months, spend 2 years building their time as an instructor and end up in the right seat of a regional airline. Quite frankly, by the time you qualify for your first job, that F.O will be earning slightly more than you do doing the same job while having spent far less to get there.

In aviation it's not about what school you go to...its all about whether you can actually fly an aircraft safely. I am quite sure that the pilots who complain the most about their salaries are those who went to "prestigious" schools and spent a fortune and saw little in return. Don't be fooled by the hype.

If your dream job REQUIRES a degree, then get a degree from an accredited school if you must. But just keep in mind that many do not go down this route and they still end up getting the same job with the same pay.

As for you comments on Community College........................ Keep in mind that some persons who can afford to go to "prestigious" universities choose not to do so simply because they know better..

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

I am really sorry about my comments on community school... I mean ... as I said I am cool with community college; it is just the people in my country. 

I would definitely go to a community and then get my training at ATP, then a job - simple right? 

But I don't know. I will have to think carefully and research more on this topic. 

Thanks anyways...

Here's a good website for those considering a career in aviation:

http://thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com/

Quoting from his webpage in the Some Final Advice From Me section:

"Do not get a Bachelor's Degree in an aviation related field"

But ultimately the choice is yours

As an Aerospace Engineer I'm going to have to add to that '... unless it's aerospace engineering'. Maybe it's different in the US, but here in the Netherlands as aerospace engineers we haven't noticed the crisis one bit. All the people I know who graduated in the past couple of years got a job within one or two months, and that's if they didn't already have one lined up before graduation. Plus as an aerospace engineer you are qualified for many other fields of engineering as well.