Sign in to follow this  
AF330

Selcal Logic

Hi

When do we know that we have received a SELCAL? There is a small "bip" but does the SELCAL button turns white? When we press the SELCAL button , does it turn Green (which will mean that SELCAL is on!) ? Do we have to reset SELCAL ,when we receive a "bip" if it turns white so that it comes back to green?

Regards,

No! It was just for my general knowledge! Every time I see this button on the RMP, some questions come to me...  ;)

If anyone could confirm these sentences, it would be really nice.

I made some search on google and here are my explanations on my questions:

1) SELCAL is used for HF and may also be used for VHF: Confirmed wikipedia SELCAL.

2) When you press the SELCAL button, it turns green. So SELCAL is now working on the frequency you have tuned. Confirmed by:

Radio Management Panel | Radio Selection Buttons

3) When the captain has selected VHF2 in RMP1 or the first officer has selected VHF1 in RMP2, the SELCAL turns white. Confirmed by: Smartcockpit A320 Communications. SELCAL won't work till we press the white button. After pressing it, SELCAL will turn off. Need to start it back (so it will turn green). Not confirmed, by deduction.

4) When we receive a SELCAL, it turns white and we need to press the button to receive the next chime (so SELCAL will turn green). To be confirmed

5) To turn off SELCAL after having received a Scheme, the SELCAL will go threw these colours: White (received a Chime)-Green (have reset SELCAL)-Black (SELCAL has been turned off). Confirmed IF upper points have been confirmed...

6) You have received a chime, so SELCAL is white. You don't reset it and you change the frequency. SELCAL will turn off. (It will be black). Not confimed. Still have a doubt, will it remain white or will it turn off? I don't think it will reset (will turn green) by himself. My default i THINK it will turn off!

Thanks to confirm- reconfirm all these points for me,

Kind regards,

AF330