Sign in to follow this  
jbassue

Microsoft Flight Simulator® Has Stopped Working

Hey guys after days of frustration, I think I have potentially solved an issue that has been bugging SP1 and my 300ER. 
Since upgrading to SP1/300ER I have not been able to complete a whole flight from start to finish, without FSX crashing. I have never experienced this crash before, even after doing 12 hour hauls pre SP1. I have tried rolling back drivers, removing my overclock, removing bloatware from my motherboard manufacturer company, increasing and decreasing page file sizes, monitoring virtual memory usage. Nothing working and so I figured I'd just wait it out.

Now I am not sure how much of you experience this issue, but I have seen a couple posts on Facebook sites regarding this particular issue. Its not an OOM, or a fatal error, as reported in the Title Microsoft Flight Simulator® has stopped working.

Nobody seems to have a fix for the issue, so I did my own digging in event viewer etc, did my own Google searches etc, and was led to the assumption that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) could be a possible culprit, and that some sort of negative feedback was occurring durring flight where DEP falsely terminates the FSX process.

I kept obtaining an error report that looks similar to;

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: fsx.exe

Fault Module Name: StackHash_xxxx

Apparently StackHash being identified as a faulty module was somehow directly related to the DEP logic,

After some reading I stumbled on a post made by @firehawk44 (Many thanks, you've been a major help thus far.) long story short, MSFSX requires DEP to be turned on for some reason, so trying THIS method will not allow it to be turned off for fsx.exe.

However some manual cmd prompt inputs must be made, I will provide a link for this. After doing this, and a success is returned, perform a reboot and DEP should be disabled. 

I have provided links in this post for you guys to read up more on the real issue and for you to do extra reading if you can further help the situation.

So I will like to know if this helps with the CTDs after the SP1 update on your end. So far I have done about 5 hours of flight straight (HNL-LAX) without experiencing a CTD, where before I got one as early as 2 hours into the flight. 

Maybe its just my luck today, so I would love some confirmation and feedback, NOT sure if this is a PMDG issue or just FSX being, FSX, but I have only encountered it so far using the Triple 7. Good luck guys, thanks for your time!  B)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Still no crashes on your side? Had a PMDG777X.dll crash yesterday, but also the StackHash showed up in Event Viewer at the same timestamp. First 8 flights (all 6+ hours) were uneventful.

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

No crashes here. Yesterday I flew from Christchurch to Argentina for 9.5 hours with the B777-200 with SP1. Two things wondered me, my first low fuel temp warning in the T7 (according to a KLM captain on the T7 impossible in a T7-200) and three times an ASN failure. But these are just minor things that keeps you sharp on the road ;-) Everything else worked as advertised by Boeing and PMDG.

Hans Wildschut

The Netherlands

I have tried KJFK to KLAX three times since I got SP1 and everyone has had an FSX crash with "Fatal Error - Restart Program".  Every one has crashed before I completed the SID or on the takeoff roll.  The last one I pulled the Event Viewer details which are:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00032eb8
Faulting process id: 0x12f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfb7071d839034
Faulting application path: C:\1 FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: faadfaef-2303-11e4-a229-60a44c370026

I was running ASN, Aivlasoft EFB, VAFS, PFPX, Wide Client from networked laptop with FSX on Primary machine.   I didn't have this with 777 before SP1.  Is it just me or are others having new FSX fatal errors (not OOM)?   SP1b didn't seem to change it any for me.

Jerry

Jerry Hayman

This can be fixed by installing FSUIPC.  That's the only thing that I know that'll actually fix it.  Google has more info on the matter.

Kyle Rodgers

@ HondaJet

Sorry Avsim seems to be playing up and selective quote / links etc are just not working for me today.

You were running ASN and Aivlasoft EFB. Funny that, lately when I run the two together, ASN crashes regularly, and the EFB client is reporting a Simconnect error. I have simply stopped using EFB while using ASN to avoid this. Pity but I'd rather keep the weather going. Seems the may be a conflict going on between the EFB and ASN here in Simconnect.

Rob

Robin Harris

I have tried KJFK to KLAX three times since I got SP1 and everyone has had an FSX crash with "Fatal Error - Restart Program".  Every one has crashed before I completed the SID or on the takeoff roll.  The last one I pulled the Event Viewer details which are:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00032eb8

Faulting process id: 0x12f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfb7071d839034

Faulting application path: C:\1 FSX\fsx.exe

Report Id: faadfaef-2303-11e4-a229-60a44c370026

I was running ASN, Aivlasoft EFB, VAFS, PFPX, Wide Client from networked laptop with FSX on Primary machine.   I didn't have this with 777 before SP1.  Is it just me or are others having new FSX fatal errors (not OOM)?   SP1b didn't seem to change it any for me.

Jerry

Yes, I'm having errors too since SP1b.  One evening I had three crashes.  The first was when I tried to request wind data in the FMC.  After restarting FSX, I skipped getting wind data, and it randomly crashed while I was going through checklists.  I don't remember at what point this happened.  The third crash was while taxiing to the runway.  At that point I gave up for the night, and haven't tried it since.  

It was rock-solid before the service packs.  I didn't save any error information, because I was planning on being more methodical later to see if I could make the crashing stop.  In the past, I have stopped my crashes for a given flight (in NGX) by not using ASN for that particular flight.  I just haven't gotten around to trying this yet.

I was running ASN, and EZCA, on the main FSX Machine, with FSC9(with latest patches) connected via WideFS on my laptop.  

Charlie Powell

Thanks for the info Kyle; I already have FSUIPC registered version and have been using it for more than a year.   I checked Pete's download site and found I was behind one upgrade to just installed FSUIPC v4.934  and WideClient 6.99m.  Do you think I need to reinstall totally?

Rob, I have had an occasional ASN crash but no simconnect errors with EFB thank goodness.

Charlie, I also run EZdok along with TrackIR on the FSX machine but have not seen these crashes to be related to ASN (no direct connection I can see).  I also never had any FSX crashes before SP1 but I did have OOM errors if I wasn't careful with going outside the cockpit too much.

Jerry

Jerry Hayman