Sign in to follow this  
luckyb52

How Do I Make Gps The Nav Source In C172 Sp G1000?

Hi fellow simmers,

I can't figure out how to make the autopilot in the C172 G1000 use GPS as the nav source (currently am selecting the AP panel with Shift-2, selecting AP, HDG and ALT, then manually adjusting altitude and heading to follow the track displayed in the inset GPS map in the PFD). I have the CDI in the PFD set to GPS.

If you could tell me where the hidden door or magic wand is, I'd be most grateful!

Looking fwd to your advice ---

Best,

Lucky

////////

Hi Lucky,

Try: CTRL +SHIFT + N.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Whoopee, it's working! (I also had to select NAV on the AP panel, but I know the AP isn't using NAV 1 or 2 because I have set irrelevant frequencies on them).

Thanks so much, Ramprat, not many people are aware of this solution, I've Googled the hell out of the subject and come up only with tales of woe! ---

Best,

Lucky

///////

If you could tell me where the hidden door or magic wand is, I'd be most grateful!

Look at the left side (the PFD). Note the soft-key in the middle of the bottom row labeled "CDI".

Left-click on the button below that until you see a magenta line and CDI needle appear. You are now in "GPSS" mode.

If you open the "Learning Center" and check, there is a very extensive "article" describing how to make the most of the G1000 system.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Whoopee, it's working! (I also had to select NAV on the AP panel, but I know the AP isn't using NAV 1 or 2 because I have set irrelevant frequencies on them).

Thanks so much, Ramprat, not many people are aware of this solution, I've Googled the hell out of the subject and come up only with tales of woe! ---

Best,

Lucky

///////

Heading mode on the autopilot will only follow the heading bug.. that is standard across many, if not all airplanes.

Bert

@Bert,

You're right. I had only AP, NAV, and ALT on (bet I didn't need the ALT, but no harm, I guess, since it's ganged with the ALT on the GPS).

Cheers,

Lucky

///////

n4gix,

Thanks for your input (and I'd better be brief because of that saying in your signature)...

Best

Lucky

///////