Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rockcliffe

Overweight aircraft

Guest Rockcliffe

Some of the third party aircraft I find are grossly overweight as default. The new Posky 767-200, for example, is tens of thousands of pounds overweight when fully fueled. Another example is the SGA DC10. Some cause a CTD if I try to change the payload within the sim, so the only way to get it down to a proper takeoff weight is to cut the fuel load or to modify the aircraft.cfg outside FS.Why is this? Is this down intentionally by the authors to get accurate flight characteristics or should it be changed to bring the aircraft below MTOW?ThanksBlairCYOW

In general enough fuel capacity is made available for long distance legs at the sacrifice of pax/cargo/baggage weight. This allows flexible application of the aircraft for different routes.As for the CTD I have no idea. Have you tried the POSKY forum?

Guest Rockcliffe

Oops. Shows how you should double check your info before making a post.I had no trouble altering the Posky payload to take it down a few thousand pounds.The ctd's occurred with the SGA DC10 which was heavily overloaded as a default and required one to cut the fuel load by about a half to get it off the ground within a reasonable distance.

If I were you I'd look up the correct aircraft weights on www.airliners.net, then edit the aircraft.cfg to match if necessary.I have a feeling there is a confusion in some aircraft between empty weight with fuel and without.But then, even sophisticated payware aircraft like the Flight1 ATR72 and PMDG 737 are overweight until you set the fuel load - but then, they don't crash when you edit that parameter.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Very rarely can an aircraft take-off with a full fuel load AND full payload/pax. One or the other. The POSKY B763v4 FDE is written with the tanks bagged, and I also believe max pax/cargo. So you either have to "plan" your flight with fuel/pax/cargo everytime, like in real life, or 1. change the FDE settings, or 2. use POSKYs easy FDE, it is written with the "jump-n-fly" pilot in mind. :) As far as the SGA DC-10. This sounds like you have the FS2002 FDE, CTDs are common when trying to adjust fuel/payload in FS9. The FDE isn't written for this. Unfortunatly you will have to search for the FS9 FDE (in the FS9 DC-10 Base pack) at either flightsim or simviation, since SGA's server is in the O-F-F mode.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpgThere is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

As you've already gathered from other posts, almost no real aircraft can have a full payload AND full fuel. As most flights are not maximum range it is probably most accurate to setup the cfg file towards an aircraft with maximum payload. The big problem of course is that by default, FS gives 100% fuel and this is compounded if your startup situation uses an aircraft with 100% in 2 tanks and then you switch to an aircraft with 3 tanks (or more).....they'll all be 100%!The crash issue with the DC10 may well be because the cfg file has a high number of load stations (more than 20 I think is an issue). This is an FS bug that will crash FS everytime you try and adjust the payload in such aircraft.....hence add-ons like the DF727 using a load manager outside of FS. http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest Rockcliffe

Thanks to all for your answers.BlairCYOW