Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Whatever Happened To Realair?

This past weekend have been mainly flying the RealAir SF-260 and Decathlon. Fantastic aeroplanes!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

It's takes ages to trim. Like molasses was poured into the trim wheel and allowed to set overnight.

I agree.   Although I resolved this problem by assigning trim within both FSX and within FSUIPC.   Normally a disastrous mistake, but in the case of the A2A Cherokee it worked great and gave me nice, more realistic fast trimming.

I´m not going to "vote" for any of the projects being proposed on this discussion. I rather wait for the RA to give us an announcement in few days/weeks time, hopefully. They are the only ones who know how much they have already invested time in C172. If - lets say - 75% of the work is done, it would be a good idea to take to the end. But if C172 is only 25 % ready, that might be another story.

RealAir just added some update information on their website, they are going to support the Flight 1 GTN 750/650 and P3D 2.3.... :rolleyes:

RealAir just added some update information on their website, they are going to support the Flight 1 GTN 750/650 and P3D 2.3.... :rolleyes:

Well, that seals the deal for me and F1 GTN. They should be commended for taking the initiative to motivate uptake of someone else's product for the benefit of the greater ecosystem. It will be good for Real Air in the long run.

One small question... Is RXP integration going by the wayside? I wouldn't necessarily mind, but GNS is still predominant, if for no other reason than market saturation, and probably what you'd find in the average flight school fleet.

Anyway, very eager for news on aircraft, keeping fingers crossed to hear something soon.

I have the Lancair Legacy and the Duke V2 and would love to able to fly with the F1 GTN in both (learning the 530 currently).

My wallet is ready!

Very grateful we have great developer's like Rob and Sean, thanks guys!

Well, that seals the deal for me and F1 GTN. They should be commended for taking the initiative to motivate uptake of someone else's product for the benefit of the greater ecosystem. It will be good for Real Air in the long run.

One small question... Is RXP integration going by the wayside? I wouldn't necessarily mind, but GNS is still predominant, if for no other reason than market saturation, and probably what you'd find in the average flight school fleet.

Anyway, very eager for news on aircraft, keeping fingers crossed to hear something soon.

For some reason, I just dont see the GTN series being as prevalent in the real world aviation.

I think in the realworld, the GNS430/530 will be predominant in the GA fleet for a long time to come.  New GAs are almost all completely glass, so where does that put the GTN series?  Maybe some aircraft that don't have a Garmin stack yet will start seeing GTNs  Maybe some owners will plunk down the $$$$$ to replace their 430/530.   Owners would have to justify the cost, which would be a very high price for a small to moderate gain in features.  

Personally I can see some disadvantages to touchscreen in real airplanes...turbulence.  Have you ever tried to operate a laptop's sensitive touch pad while riding in a car or bus while on a very bumpy road?  Would you like to operate a touch screen at night in IMC in moderate turbulence? lol.  I think old airplanes with big clunky switches and dials have a big advantage here since you can grab on to the switch and move it.  At least G430/530/1000 has knobs to anchor your hand with.  

In the simulator we don't have this problem, maybe F1 could simulate 'bouncy touchscreen' when flying in turbulence LOL 

I think aircraft owners will indeed be spending the money to replace GNS with GTN units.. but as you said, over time..

For us, FS users, it is only a $50 bill  B)

Re turbulence, the GTN units have raised ridges for your fingers to hold onto..

Bert

hey are the only ones who know how much they have already invested time in C172. If - lets say - 75% of the work is done, it would be a good idea to take to the end. But if C172 is only 25 % ready, that might be another story.

I admit that although I have time in the C172, and admit it is a competent trainer, it is one of the most boring aircraft in the sky.  I guess Kiki's right, only Rob can judge the feasibility of continuing development of it. 

My personal vote would be for RA to redirect their considerable talents to a more interesting and challenging aircraft (Turbo Commander  hint hint) or just update the wonderful SF260 to their current standard.

I hate touch screens full stop. I grew up in a world where touching your monitor's screen was akin to putting your hand in a fire.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Personally I can see some disadvantages to touchscreen in real airplanes...turbulence.  Have you ever tried to operate a laptop's sensitive touch pad while riding in a car or bus while on a very bumpy road?  Would you like to operate a touch screen at night in IMC in moderate turbulence? lol.  I think old airplanes with big clunky switches and dials have a big advantage here since you can grab on to the switch and move it.  At least G430/530/1000 has knobs to anchor your hand with.  

In the simulator we don't have this problem, maybe F1 could simulate 'bouncy touchscreen' when flying in turbulence LOL

Interesting points. Garmin mentioning the turbulence issue in a video, and the finger grips on the bezel being a solution. Whether that would be enough to steady your hand in heavy turbulence I dunno. The issue pops up for me in FSX too. Real Air's Legacy will really move around in turbulence. It's even gotten me nauseas before and interfered with my ability to operate GPS. I guess everything in FSX is a touch screen though, so it's hard to compare.

Entering data with the GNS can be a pain but, as you stated, there are certain advantages to having physical knobs. If you get into trouble, you can just grab the larger rotary knob, spin it all the way to the right, and you are right there in the closest airport page. You could do it without even looking at the GPS. In certain circumstances the ergonomics of the knob are superior to a visual touch screen. That said, I am lusting for the GTN and will probably come up with all sorts of reasons why it's better once I start using it.

For us, FS users, it is only a $50 bill  B)

It always strikes me as ironic that our dated simulator gets the newest bells and whistles for a few bucks when real life pilots might have to wait years and pay thousands. Can't complain though...