Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

Ai Controller (Sid, Jet Route, Star And Final Approach) Beta

I have nothing to add except thank you for your efforts - really impressive stuff, and I've been enjoying it thoroughly.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Hi Roland,

Just thinking outside the box here. You mentioned that you were trying to find ways to intercept AI states (taxi states, etc). Is there a way you would be able to control AI using a module (like ASN uses to intercept weather) to hook into the program?

I'm not a programmer by any means, so I have no clue if this can be done or how hard it is to do this...just throwing it out there.

On another note, is there a cap on how many AI the program can control? I've had a few issues (mainly with jet routed AI) where AIController is controlling the AI (according to the monitor), yet the AI does not respond at all to control commands. (I can see them going on their merry way on Flight Sim Commander). I'll get a mix...some are controlled, some fly under FSX control.

Also, I still don't think the flight levels are working properly. I still see eastbound flights at even levels and westbound at odds, but not nearly as often.

Now a request!! :)

Would it be possible that AIController read the winds at the flight level of the AI and then add or subtract a wind component? It would make it more realistic if the AI have the same general ground speed both in the pattern and at altitude in the airways. I get jealous of those guys passing me at 417kts when I'm fighting a 100kt head wind and I'm only doing a ground speed of only 350kts!!! :)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

P.S. for anyone interested regarding Prepar3D.  I posted a feature request to include a request a SimConnect method to put P3D-generated AI aircraft into the AI TRAFFIC STATE = "taxi in".

I posted in that thread also, underscoring your need for the modifications. I'm using 1.3B with P3d 2.3 and My Traffic Pro 5.4c and your app seems to work beautifully for the NYC airports. The only thing that I have noticed that is odd is that the default ATC keeps repeating "Expedite your climb to ..." requests over and over to certain AI aircraft.  I'm wondering if this is a problem with P3d and has nothing to do with AIController at all. I can't remember experiencing that before though.

I also have RC4 but I have been having trouble making it work properly with P3d 2.3, so I can't give you any thoughts on that.

Lastly (and this is to all the users of AIController), would it be possible for people to upload converted SIDS and STARS files to the AVSIM library with a keyword "AIController", so as to eliminate duplication of effort in converting each major airport's navigation information? Or is this a violation of copyrights on purchased commercial navigation packages? Alternatively, how hard is it to get a new mapping type for Navigraph that would be specific to AIController and avoid the conversion process? Or is that not possible?

Hello,

I downloaded this program yesterday and it is a very promising app. However, when it launches on my FSX, most of the aircraft are doing barrel rolls doing over 600 KIAS.

How can I fix that?

Lastly (and this is to all the users of AIController), would it be possible for people to upload converted SIDS and STARS files to the AVSIM library with a keyword "AIController", so as to eliminate duplication of effort in converting each major airport's navigation information? Or is this a violation of copyrights on purchased commercial navigation packages? Alternatively, how hard is it to get a new mapping type for Navigraph that would be specific to AIController and avoid the conversion process? Or is that not possible?

From a legal perspective, would need to make sure people aren't uploading batch converted files as that is likely IP of the original publisher. Perhaps custom STARs or SIDs would be fine on a per airport basis, but not e.g., "North America SID/STAR 2015."

Anthony Cacciatore

Greetings

I just installed AI Controller. I am extremely impressed with the program. Being a relative newbie with the software, I have some questions. Please accept apologies if covered before:

-the ATC ID column far left appears to be populated with strange symbols. Almost looks like card symbols, etc

-I converted all of the PMDG data using the excellent companion program. I also created an ini file for the world (except Zambia, it appeared to be corrupt, so I deleted it). I read in the manual that too large an ini file might produce uneven results. Is that in past versions, or should I have broken up the world results? If so, what is the magic number? Continents, countries, states/provinces? If states/provinces, countries or even continents and the flight crosses jurisdictional boundaries; how does one keep the program tracking the current location? I am asking this question as it appears as though the program is not controlling all aircraft departing and arriving from a given airport. Example:

An Air Canada flight left CYVR for CYYC. The program showed it being controlled by FSX. Granted, CYVR has only vectored SIDs. But I would have thought AI Controller would have taken control of the flight and directed it to a jet route. I should point out that I didn't follow the aircraft to 18,000 feet.

EDIT: I RTFM...thanks

-is there a way to limit the data collection area? Example: If I fly from CYVR to CYYC, I am not really interested in traffic from CYYZ to KJFK. Is the only way to deal with this, to create an ini file with those two airports?

EDIT: I RTFM...AI Cull

-will the program conflict with current ATC programs? IE, will they find the AI aircraft following SIDs, STARs, approaches and jet routes difficult to deal with?

EDIT: I see compatibility with RC4. How about Vox and Pro ATC? Also, what about Pilot2ATC? That's the new kid on the block. The developer seems very serious about producing a good product. It is voice controlled at this point, but will offer keyboard control in the future.

-once you control AI on the ground as well, would you please turn your attention to the user aircraft so that we can have an ATC program that is bullet proof? It's OK...I'm just begging :wink:

I am so pleased that you produced this product. A more automated interface would be welcome, but you did absolutely the right thing be getting the plumbing right first. I look forward to a payware version of this program in the future.

I am afraid that I might be asking the obvious above. If so, please point me to a link or just say RTFM.

EDIT: Couldn't delete the post, so I included a mea culpa where necessary. I got my brain in gear and looked. Thanks for the great program,

Graham

Hi,

One minor problem I have noticed is that, after being released from STAR, AI tend to circle around the beginning of ILS approach for a period of time before they actually intercept the localizer and start final approach. It happens from time to time at different airport but it almost always happens at VHHH ILS 07L. This occurs even when they have received clearance for landing from FSX ATC. I tried using different setting but it did not solve the problem. I have a feeling it has something to do with the AUTOGEN approach profile.

Regardless of this minor issue, I really enjoy AI Controller and believe this is a product that can be written in FSX history. ^_^

Hi,

One minor problem I have noticed is that, after being released from STAR, AI tend to circle around the beginning of ILS approach for a period of time before they actually intercept the localizer and start final approach. It happens from time to time at different airport but it almost always happens at VHHH ILS 07L. This occurs even when they have received clearance for landing from FSX ATC. I tried using different setting but it did not solve the problem. I have a feeling it has something to do with the AUTOGEN approach profile.

Regardless of this minor issue, I really enjoy AI Controller and believe this is a product that can be written in FSX history. ^_^

If there is an approach file already created, the ai should and will line up with it right away. That is the case if you have "land without clearance" or " all ai land immediately" active. If not, the ai will wonder around until it gets clearance to land.

Fist off I love this little program...

I have been fine tuning London Gatwick STARs and SIDs but I think the SIDs work really well as long as the altitude and speed constraints are added. I have added the final approach legs onto the end of each STAR routing. So a different STAR for 26L and 08R and I release it into the mouth of the ILS before the FAF and 95% of the time FSX will catch and assign it to land. A bit of messing about but works really well and I like the FSX landing and taxiing. Sometimes there are go a rounds due to departing traffic but I can live with that for now.

I am working on Manchester STAR's  at the moment. I wonder if anyone else has a problem with UT2 Dash Q400? all the other UT2 planes are able to follow the ILS from FSX capture at FAF but when the Q400 is cleared it seems to climb then a very slow descent crossing runway threshold at 1000'. I know strictly not an AIController issue but wondered if anyone else having similar problems?

Also I have

AIHoldingAllowed=1

AICustomHold=1

In the CustomHoldWaypoints.txt file I have added various way points from the STAR. I find the only place aircraft hold is at the STAR entry point. As in AIHoldingAllowed=1 but they don't hold at any of the CustomHoldWaypoints.txt points?

Also is it possible to have multiple entries in the CustomHoldWaypoints.txt file for the same waypoint? ie:-

WILLO, L, 9000

WILLO, L, 8000

Many Thanks for any help

Antony Curran

If there is an approach file already created, the ai should and will line up with it right away. That is the case if you have "land without clearance" or " all ai land immediately" active. If not, the ai will wonder around until it gets clearance to land.

Thanks for the reply. I have enabled both options as suggested but I still find AI going all over the place to intercept IAF. From AI Monitor, the flight status for AI with such behaviour is shown as "Intercept IAF" and controller status is FSX instead of AI Controller. :(

A new beta version of AIController v1.3B is available at the following link:

http://www.mediafire...ntroller13B.zip

I would really love to download this but my antivirus is freaking out about this site and it seem to be forcing me to download a download manger that my ESET NOD32 is very suspicious of?

Is there an alternative?

Perhaps the AVSIM Library?

I would really love to download this but my antivirus is freaking out about this site and it seem to be forcing me to download a download manger that my ESET NOD32 is very suspicious of?

Is there an alternative?

Perhaps the AVSIM Library?

what? There is no problem with the site. The version on avsim is old. Can you not override nod32?

On another note, is there a cap on how many AI the program can control? I've had a few issues (mainly with jet routed AI) where AIController is controlling the AI (according to the monitor), yet the AI does not respond at all to control commands. (I can see them going on their merry way on Flight Sim Commander). I'll get a mix...some are controlled, some fly under FSX control.

No cap, but I'll look into this, is there an airport and situation where you usually see this?  Are the AI not being controlled far out from the user's current position or close in?

Would it be possible that AIController read the winds at the flight level of the AI and then add or subtract a wind component? It would make it more realistic if the AI have the same general ground speed both in the pattern and at altitude in the airways. I get jealous of those guys passing me at 417kts when I'm fighting a 100kt head wind and I'm only doing a ground speed of only 350kts!!! :)

Good suggestion, I can probably do that (or something like that).

I posted in that thread also, underscoring your need for the modifications. I'm using 1.3B with P3d 2.3 and My Traffic Pro 5.4c and your app seems to work beautifully for the NYC airports. The only thing that I have noticed that is odd is that the default ATC keeps repeating "Expedite your climb to ..." requests over and over to certain AI aircraft.  I'm wondering if this is a problem with P3d and has nothing to do with AIController at all. I can't remember experiencing that before though.

Thanks (and to everyone) for posting in the that thread.  Yes, stock P3D ATC voice will insist that the AI approach and depart an airport use stock P3D ATC patterns while the whole point of AIController is to enable the AI to fly more realistic approaches and departures. RC4 doesn't work properly with P3D?  I didn't know that.  Too bad because that's usually what I recommend (turn off P3D ATC voice and go with an add-on like RC4).

-the ATC ID column far left appears to be populated with strange symbols. Almost looks like card symbols, etc

What country are you in and what language displays when you use windows?  I'm thinking this could be an international character set problem.

-I converted all of the PMDG data using the excellent companion program. I also created an ini file for the world (except Zambia, it appeared to be corrupt, so I deleted it). I read in the manual that too large an ini file might produce uneven results. Is that in past versions, or should I have broken up the world results? If so, what is the magic number? Continents, countries, states/provinces? If states/provinces, countries or even continents and the flight crosses jurisdictional boundaries; how does one keep the program tracking the current location?

If you're running AIController on a separate computer there's really no practical limit.  It might be rewarding to customize a few of your favorite airports though with tweaks and handwritten, custom procedures.  There's also some really good custom work in the LAX, SFO and NYC areas included in the default package that you probably wouldn't want to replace.  I think the SID/STAR converter does a good job breaking up the converted files into regions.  The program doesn't pay attention to political boundaries, it just looks at whether the airports in the user's current reality bubble are monitored airports.

I see compatibility with RC4. How about Vox and Pro ATC? Also, what about Pilot2ATC? That's the new kid on the block. The developer seems very serious about producing a good product. It is voice controlled at this point, but will offer keyboard control in the future.

I think Vox is a problem unless you turn off airborne Vox traffic (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  Pro ATC is generally OK.  Not sure about Pilot2ATC (wish I new because it does sound intriguing).

One minor problem I have noticed is that, after being released from STAR, AI tend to circle around the beginning of ILS approach for a period of time before they actually intercept the localizer and start final approach.

Yes, I've noticed this to and have tried to take steps  to lessen it.  I think the basic problem is the AI is leaving one waypoint and trying to intercept the next waypoint, which is close by, but requires a large turn to intercept.  Unfortunately, the AI doesn't have the turn angle to intercept, misses the waypoint, and then circles to try to intercept.  This normally happens with automatically converted STARs and autogen approaches, where the AI STAR exit point is close to the the first fix of the final approach.  I've added logic to prevent the AI from circling more than once or twice, is this what you're seeing?  You can also custom edit the STAR(s) to move the STAR exit point further away.  Also, you can bump up the turn scalar (AITurnScalar) and the final approach turn scalar (AIFinalTurnScalar) to give the AI the more performance to make sharp turns on final.

In the CustomHoldWaypoints.txt file I have added various way points from the STAR. I find the only place aircraft hold is at the STAR entry point. As in AIHoldingAllowed=1 but they don't hold at any of the CustomHoldWaypoints.txt points?

That should work (I also see you correctly added AICustomHold=1), I'll look into it.  Thanks for letting me know.