Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

Best Weather Generator and Cloud Replacements

Just getting set up to fly on instruments in the Vancouver-Seattlearea....Have scenery I need, & now i'm looking for the best online (and offline?) weather generator. Looks like FSMeteo v.7 is a winner...but pretty expensive. Are there any other decent alternatives? Also, I assume I need some good cloud replacement files to help with the realism....do I need the fps-friendly freeware offering from FSW? Or are there better options? Shoot! One more question: What's a good flight planner? Thanks in advance for any advice, Bill.

Guest G. Stone

I use ActiveSky for weather generation and it is money well spent if you ask me. I can't remember the price I paid for it but my best guess is $20 or $25.There are replacement cloud sets but I can't remember the name of them...but if you search for "replacement clouds" I am sure it will pop up.

Yes, you need the FSW low frame rate offerings - clouds are the biggest frame rate killers as far as I'm concernedCan also recommend ActiveSky - from my experience it gives really good "hazy" effect so you can run cloud draw and visibility settings lower than you would otherwise and get better frameratesAlso, smooths weather much better so you don't get eithera)sudden appearance or disappearance of cloudsb)dreadful wind changes at altitude which either put you overspeed or bring you close to stalling

ngxu_banner.png

Guest Keyser Soze

Hello,like the guys above said, the best combination seems to be ActiveSky 2004.5 + FSW clouds

I found Active Sky. But where do I find FSW clouds?Thanks.

Since the guys have made good suggestions, let me comment on your third question what is a good flight planner, IMHO hands down is FSBuild, found here: http://www.fsbuild.com/Bob

Guest Paul Heaney

Agreed, FSW Clouds and Activesky2004.5 Can also Recommend FSBuild hands down for flight planning.

Guest bobsk8

Active Sky, FSW clouds and FS Nav for the flight planner.

I know I said thanks in advance, But i must say WOW - excellentadvice (to-the-point and fast)....thanks again, Bill.

ActiveSky - v good but can cause fps drop if you enable extra cloud layers (default is 5 I use 3).FS Navigator is the best for offline (and online) nav planning.RegardsAdam