Sign in to follow this  
CODY614

Pa34 Seneca V Gripes

Cody,

Any chance we could send you a pm with our email address?  I would love to remove it from the panel as well.

Gary

Cody,

Any chance we could send you a pm with our email address?  I would love to remove it from the panel as well.

Gary

PM sent...

Have done a couple of flights now with the RXP 430 and Bert's mods.  Overall the plane flies well.  Far and away my biggest gripe is sound, Sound and SOUND!  It really is awful.  Engine noises are so muted that I can't even do rough leaning by ear, yet clicking the switch on the DME sounds like a mini-firecracker.  Non-pressurized piston twins are LOUD, even when wearing noise cancelling headsets.  On the Carenado Seneca, the engines kinda "whirrrrr..." along.  I'm not sure when Continental TSIO360's became electric, but apparently they did.  That aside:

I'll add one other minor thing in addition to the issues others have noted (and yes, I'll submit a ticket on this) - the analog airspeed indicator is missing the super critical for twins blue-line mark.

Back to the sounds, did I mention how bad they are?  Arezone's set for the Malibu managed to rescue that plane's sounds for me.  They do make a Seneca II set, so I may buy this to see if it can help.  I'm sure I'll have to mix and match some things, and the engines are very close but not exactly the same, but something's got to change here or I won't be flying this much.  And that's too bad as otherwise this seems quite nice so far.

Scott

My issues that I have noticed.....

The COM switches were INOP and I could not switch between COM1 - COM2

The Sounds are pretty bad even for a Carenado aircraft, I am hoping that either AREZONE or TSS will release a sound pack for this plane.

The documentation on this aircraft from Carenado is really limited when compared to their other releases

Very limited functions of the G600 suite even when compared to the Piper Jetprop.

Now despite these issues I love flying this plane, it seems to handle well and for my first flight I shot a perfect ILS in solid IMC conditions so it does navigation correctly. After doing some internet research on the actual performance profiles for the Seneca V and making my on VREF manual, I flew the plane according to spec and it operated within a 2-3% margin (VREF was set for ISA) and the landing speeds we pretty spot on, this plane CAN be a joy to fly, they patch the reported errors and either they make the sounds better or someone makes an HD sound pack for this and its solid gold.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Also at 80% cruise power 30"MP 2400 prop 24gph you will get 175ktas true 187kts GS

The COM switches were INOP and I could not switch between COM1 - COM2

Whoops - yes.  Meant to mention this as well.  The audio panel is completely inop.

Scott

Have done a couple of flights now with the RXP 430 and Bert's mods.  Overall the plane flies well.  Far and away my biggest gripe is sound, Sound and SOUND!  It really is awful.  Engine noises are so muted that I can't even do rough leaning by ear, yet clicking the switch on the DME sounds like a mini-firecracker.  Non-pressurized piston twins are LOUD, even when wearing noise cancelling headsets.  On the Carenado Seneca, the engines kinda "whirrrrr..." along.  I'm not sure when Continental TSIO360's became electric, but apparently they did.  That aside:

I'll add one other minor thing in addition to the issues others have noted (and yes, I'll submit a ticket on this) - the analog airspeed indicator is missing the super critical for twins blue-line mark.

Back to the sounds, did I mention how bad they are?  Arezone's set for the Malibu managed to rescue that plane's sounds for me.  They do make a Seneca II set, so I may buy this to see if it can help.  I'm sure I'll have to mix and match some things, and the engines are very close but not exactly the same, but something's got to change here or I won't be flying this much.  And that's too bad as otherwise this seems quite nice so far.

Scott

Scott,

I'm not sure if you have FSD International( Flightsim Developer's) Seneca V but I've had it on my machine for years.  It's really outdated as far as graphics goes but I took the sound from it and put it on the Seneca.  It's not perfect but sounds much, much better than the sound on it now.  They frequently run sales on thier models since they're older so you may be able to pick it up at a price comporable to a soundset.  I'm pretty certain someone will be developing a soundset for this sweet little plane soon.  I definitely have to agree with you though as far as the sound goes.  Carenado missed the boat badly with this one.  One of the worst sound sets ever that they've released!!

Gary

Thanks for the pointer Gary.  No, I don't have the FSD plane, but if it can be had cheaply from time to time and the sounds aren't bad, it gives me another option to explore.

Scott

An additional issue to add to the list.  The cowl flaps cannot be individually controlled.  Moving one moves both.

I've submitted this to Carenado, but it probably doesn't hurt for others to submit as well.

Scott

Here's another grip/issue.  I haven't noticed a gear warning horn when the throttles are pulled all the way back and the gear is up.

Thats a nice feature it means I don't have to lower the power setting in the cfg that it comes on at. I hate those things I'm not gonna forget to put the gear down. I've only done it once in 17 years of simming.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thats a nice feature it means I don't have to lower the power setting in the cfg that it comes on at. I hate those things I'm not gonna forget to put the gear down. I've only done it once in 17 years of simming.

Indeed it may be in the sim, however, when I was a teenager, there was a guy in my neighborhood that had just crashed his Cherokee Six 300.  His injuries were minor with only  a broken his leg but the plane was a total loss.  He decided to upgrade and at that time bought a brand new Seneca II.  During his transition to getting his multi-engine rating he was doing touch and go's, slow flight, stalls, etc.  Well the gear up warning horn really started to become a nuisance so they decided to disconnect it during this one particular training session.  Well guess what happened???  Yupp, he landed with the gear up.  In a matter of 90 days he was involved in two aircraft incidences.  Talk about driving his insurance rates up through the roof!  I know this is just a sim, but bad habits in the sim lead to bad habits in real life.  I do have my private pilot's license in real life, and I do fly complex airplanes.  I know the old saying is "There are two types of pilots that fly retractable aircraft. Ones that have landed with their gear up and the ones that will land with their gear up".  If that time presents itself for me, I certainly hope that I walk away from it, but even more importantly, I hope it's not because I failed to lower the gear!!  :)))))))

Gary

Anyone able to tune the ADF?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

ADF

Don't have the Seneca; but, if it's like the Malibu

Don't try the round dials

Under the standby numbers , there is a very small area for + or beneath that - for each digit

They can be changed, then use swap [<->] button

After last few releases, I completely lost any respect to Carenado. Flight models are practically copy-paste, system modeling is horrible, FPS is worse than NGX. They even don't produce new soundsets, I mean really? Every their new plane is not worth over 15 euros, just for eye cany, and even that is under a question mark.

I have around 15 Carenado and 5 Alabeo aircraft and it has always been a love/hate ride for me. I have to agree with the sentiments here.

I love the aircraft they do and their visuals but they sure fall down time and time again in other areas.

First it was their lack of VC lighting and GPS knob ease of use (or lack of). Have to say this is the one area the have improved in recent planes, but there are still so many issues they continue to be slack in (as mentioned already in this thread). Another gripe is their Documentation, a few pdf's with performance charts. But do they ever provide any help on where switches are or which are functional, we are always left with having to explore the cockpit which can be time consuming and frustrating.

I too have also noticed the really annoying omission of no way of switching the com/nav radios or ADF/NDB speakers.

I have also noticed the issue with fuel selection not working correctly and the poor sound set (I will be trying the suggestions from another post).

On the whole I have been happier with Alabeo aircraft and especially the DA40.

As to support, my past experiance has not been good with a very arrogant response from Carenado and have always suspected a don't care attitude as to why they would not be monitoring this forum. So I am progressively moving to A2A, Just Flight and others that appear to care about their customers.

Anton YBDG

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

In fairness, I should mention that the plane is a joy to fly with very stable handling which I'm sure is thanks to Fred S's input. It's inside the VC where the problems lay.

Anton YBDG

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.