Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Military speed limits...

Guest yarvelling

Just a quick question...does anyone here know if military flights; tankers, AWACS, etc, are restricted to the 'standard' 250knts below 10,000ft ? I would assume that fighters are not, but I'm never sure what airspeed to maintain if shuttling KC-135's or E3's around!Cheers!

Same rules as everyone else in civilian airspace and whatever the local operating restrictions are in military airspace.DJ

>Same rules as everyone else in civilian airspace and whatever>the local operating restrictions are in military airspace.>But only when under civilian control... IOW there are no theoretical restrictions but they usually comply with civilian regulations in order to be good neighbours.

Guest yarvelling

Thanks folks... ;)

He said AWACS... sweet!Jeff USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest Lobaeux4

Military aircraft, mainly Air Force a/c, will follow AFI 11-203 V3, which is an Air Force Instruction for flying, not necessarily FAA regulations. However, the Air Force regulations (actually Instructions) are rooted in and follow FAA regulations, ie. the FAR/AIM. Air Force aircraft, all Air Force aircraft are regulated to 250KIAS under 10,000, unless the aircraft manual says that the aircraft needs to fly faster for safety reasons, also, AF a/c, are constrained by 200KIAS under Class B airspace, or in VFR corridors in Class B airspace, and 200KIAS while in Class C/D airspace. In addition, AF a/c, can not fly at or above Mach 1, unless operational requirements dictate that they must, and they have the approved paperwork for that speed on file. Navy fliers follow the FAR/AIM.One thing that people have a misunderstanding about military aircraft, is that Air Force aircraft in particular are actually MORE governed and MORE regulated than civilian aircraft. It's not like "Top Gun" where you can just get in, kick the tires and light the fires, no way! Military flying is very, very precise, very regulated, very controlled. This is a common misconception that a lot of people have about the military and it's fliers.

What did you do in the Air Force?Jeff

Jeff

Guest adrianc

>>Same rules as everyone else in civilian airspace and>whatever>>the local operating restrictions are in military airspace.>>>But only when under civilian control... IOW there are no>theoretical restrictions but they usually comply with civilian>regulations in order to be good neighbours.A case in point regarding being good neighbours happened here in Brisbane, Australia a few months ago.An F111 was running some engine tests above mach 1 off the coast early one morning. There were hundreds of calls to radio stations and emergency services about an earth tremor that hit areas many km inland from the coast. The explanation came out later in the day that there was an inversion layer in the atmosphere that allowed the shock wave from the aircraft to propagate quite a long distance.It caused quite a fuss and the airforce issued a statement saying they would be more careful about when they run these tests in the future.

Guest MidCon_PR

What do I do?I'm a C-130 pilot at Little Rock.

Guest Lobaeux4

OOPS, wrong sign in.I'm a C-130 pilot at Little Rock, getting ready to go teach at Pilot Training.

Oh yeah sorry, I think I talked to you before about that.Jeff

Jeff