Sign in to follow this  
danbw10

Microphone Not Working With Asus Crystal Sound 2.0 Card

Hey everyone,

This is a real shot in the dark really (and maybe not even relevant to this forums section!), but because of this issue I cannot use voice on VATSIM, use Skype or other microphone communications. I am using apple earphones with a perfectly functional microphone (tested on old PC), but with my new PC and the sound card (if that is at fault maybe) Asus Crystal Sound 2.0, my microphone won't work, nor will Windows properly recognise it. The 'Sound Recorder' with Windows doesn't show any input with the moving green bar. I tried putting the earphones into all the 3.5 mm hacks but no luck. 

This is really irritating as the whole point of getting a new PC was for FSX and VATSIM.

Any help and opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Dan

Have you gone into properties of the volume icon in the system tray ? Usually you can right click the volume icon and open additional menus. You might have to enable the mic first.

Otherwise open Control Panel, go to Sound, and then look at recording tab.  Click properties for your mic or configure....

Also check Device Manager....  under sound, video and game controllers are there any exclamation points?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

In the Windows 'Sound' application, when i go to the 'Recording' tab, it will only recognise a mic if I plug my earphones into the 3.5 mm microphone jack, and only will the green bar move up and down when plugging the jack in, but when I try to speak, no moving green bar. Microphone works as I tested it on my PC. Windows does not recognise the microphone at all when the earphones are plugged into the headphone port.

Could this have anything to do with the onboard sound which can be changed in the BIOS?

Cheers,

Dan

That's odd.

Hmmm.

If you right click the sound icon, and select Recording Devices, you should see the mic info....  You're saying as soon as you plug in your headphones the mic is greyed out?

mic.jpg

What headphones and mic are you using?

Also silly question, are you plugging the headphones into the green jack and the mic in the pink jack?  I've done the opposite on my rear ports once or twice hehe...  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes, correct. It happens every time. I plug in the earphones (they are Apple's earphones - could be why?) into the headphone/earphone jack and the mic stays grayed out.

Apple's earphones have an in-built mic. Am I supposed to have a headset with separate mic and headphone jacks with it? That may be it, if I am that stupid lol..

I tried plugging my earphones into every 3.5 mm jack on the front and back of my PC.

Cheers

If it's not a USB earpiece, and it has a built in mic, AND you're pluggin it into the green jack it won't work.

Most people have a headset with mic boom - which has two separate jacks, pink mic and green for audio out.  Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-151-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000NOR89Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407099615&sr=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+headset

Let me try my apple earpiece and see what happens.'

nm.... here's what you need to look at

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy-Adapter-Smartphone-01-PH35-PC35/dp/B00332DPDG

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-MUYHSFMM-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0058DOWH6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407099818&sr=1-3&keywords=iphone+3.5mm+splitter

Both have some bad reviews saying the mic splitt off won't work.... I'm not sure though....  might have to google for more info

YT video might help:

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I actually figured out it was Apple earphones that were the culprit. The mic probably isn't compatible with the sound card i guess. I can get it all to work with a headset with a mic. I appreciate your efforts and advice.

Cheers

Dan