Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Considering X-Plane 10... A Few Questions

The only reason I bring up the UI so much is that for many users a properly made UI is a make or break point. The same thing can be said about cars, many people do not want to drive manual geared cars anymore, its mainly your automotive enthusiasts that like to drive "stick", most people want automatic transmissions. User Interfaces for programs are about the same thing and this is where XPX falls short. This does NOT make XPX bad, it just makes it less desirable to others as they have another product to choose from which as a more friendly and familiar UI. 

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

The only reason I bring up the UI so much is that for many users a properly made UI is a make or break point. The same thing can be said about cars, many people do not want to drive manual geared cars anymore, its mainly your automotive enthusiasts that like to drive "stick", most people want automatic transmissions. User Interfaces for programs are about the same thing and this is where XPX falls short. This does NOT make XPX bad, it just makes it less desirable to others as they have another product to choose from which as a more friendly and familiar UI. 

This is by far the lamest excuse for not using a new program. Its clear that what people want is irrational and altogether counter productive.

Its crap like this that guarantees we'll be stuck with the QWERTY keyboard until kingdom come.

This is by far the lamest excuse for not using a new program. Its clear that what people want is irrational and altogether counter productive.

Its crap like this that guarantees we'll be stuck with the QWERTY keyboard until kingdom come.

The Like and Agree buttons have disappeared again so here is a +1 instead

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Well, that just sounds like MSFS inertia to me. If it was that hard to adjust to a different and somewhat challenging UI, then nobody would every buy a combat flight sim. Or use Photoshop.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Where I'm from it's the very old, the lazy or the truly incompetent who drive automatic transmission vehicles. Just a random musing.

I think you got a little butt hurt by my post, point is whether you like it or not what I typed is true, its a consumer market and lots of consumers prefer ease of use. I did NOT state that XPX was bad or was a failure, I just stated that some consumers will not use XPX due to the UI not being streamlined. Don't like it? That's your deal, this is CONSUMER BUSINESS, tough, you want to do something about then, then try, I will not stop you.

Case & point, I am a professional windows technician, I advise my customers to buy cans of compressed air and spray the inside of their case when turned off and unplugged at least once per month. Sounds simple, and it is, fact is 90% of my customers DO NOT do this even after I advise them, especially the ones who have a dirtier environment near their systems. Do you know why this is? BECAUSE IT LOOKS TOO FREAKING COMPLICATED AND TAKES TOO MUCH TIME FOR THEM. People are generally lazy and want things handed to them right then right there, again this is a CONSUMER MENTALITY, don't like it, deal with it.

UI, I used it twice when I first got X-Plane.

Since then I always start up where I left off and change anything I want to from there.

Just my 2 cents worth B)

Trevor Golding

UI, I used it twice when I first got X-Plane.

Since then I always start up where I left off and change anything I want to from there.

Just my 2 cents worth B)

Same here, I never really need to use the UI...... Everything is set to go. 

I think you got a little butt hurt by my post, point is whether you like it or not what I typed is true, its a consumer market and lots of consumers prefer ease of use. I did NOT state that XPX was bad or was a failure, I just stated that some consumers will not use XPX due to the UI not being streamlined. Don't like it? That's your deal, this is CONSUMER BUSINESS, tough, you want to do something about then, then try, I will not stop you.

Case & point, I am a professional windows technician, I advise my customers to buy cans of compressed air and spray the inside of their case when turned off and unplugged at least once per month. Sounds simple, and it is, fact is 90% of my customers DO NOT do this even after I advise them, especially the ones who have a dirtier environment near their systems. Do you know why this is? BECAUSE IT LOOKS TOO FREAKING COMPLICATED AND TAKES TOO MUCH TIME FOR THEM. People are generally lazy and want things handed to them right then right there, again this is a CONSUMER MENTALITY, don't like it, deal with it.

This is a niche market. If complications and time is of essence then flight simming is not for that consumer. From flight planning to AC setup is complicated and time consuming. These are things most are prepared for when they really desire to take their simming to the next phase. Xplane and neither FSX are not arcade games you can plug a gamepad in and just mash a few buttons. 

What's so complicated about Xplane's UI? You press a button and assign an action. You move an axis and assign an action. You pick an action and assign a key-combo. You pick a graphical option and a drop-down from low to high greets you. I don't understand how that is complicated or unfriendly. I think it's a lot easier than diggin thru FSX's event settings and i started with FSX and still use. I will admit I hated XP's  UI at first because it wasn't FSX, but now when I think back on it, that was the only thing I disliked, Now I really do hate DCS's setup.

People are generally lazy and want things handed to them right then right there, again this is a CONSUMER MENTALITY. don't like it, deal with it.

...then as you have clearly pointed out,, having to deal with lazy CONSUMER MENTALITY, Im sure you can deal with XPlane's UI. I can grantee you its a lot simpler then Windows 8 UI.

FSX is far far superior

yep, I would have to agree with you....FSX is far far superior at producing OOM's, CTD's, blurries, stttuutttters, autogen behaving like popcorn...FSX is very good at it, can't argue with that!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

...then as you have clearly pointed out,, having to deal with lazy CONSUMER MENTALITY, Im sure you can deal with XPlane's UI. I can grantee you its a lot simpler then Windows 8 UI.

yep, I would have to agree with you....FSX is far far superior at producing OOM's, CTD's, blurries, stttuutttters, autogen behaving like popcorn...yep, FSX is far far superior, can't argue with that!

I never stated that I would not take the time, just stating that some consumers are not willing to do so, some people even think setting up stuff for FSX is too much of a hassle. In fact WarThunder is so popular because you can take a mouse and keyboard and just go shoot stuff, while DCS is infinitely superior but can take time to setup a HOTAS correctly to your desires.

Addendum: One of the most frustrating things about setting up FSX is .cfg tweaking, IMO tweaking a programs .cfg file should never have to be done by the consumer, but then again we are talking about a Microsoft program so.....

Who the Hell flys in the Middle East lo

:LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:  ...now that is funny Spooner!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Heck, airlines after several incidents re-designed the checklist/flow for pilots, as well as important info on the FMS. Before you had to go 8 or so menu branches to get important info on the FMS. They've streamlined that as well.

UI has to do with a lot of things. It doesn't have to be simple. It is possible to make an easy to understand UI while still providing all the options (though difficult)

yep, I would have to agree with you....FSX is far far superior at producing OOM's, CTD's, blurries, stttuutttters, autogen behaving like popcorn...FSX is very good at it, can't argue with that!

LOL....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I really do completely fail to understand UI complaints. I came from many years of using MSFS but jumped ship when I witnessed the FSX release fiasco.

I can say that I have never given a thought about the UI. I just gradually learned where everything is without giving any thoughts such as this should be here, that should be there etc;.

I do know that it is a very powerful interface, giving easy access to a huge amount of parameters.

Regards