Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Aircraft Suggestions

Can anyone offer opinions on 2 aircraft I am considering.. the Veneaviones Turbocommander 690B and the Premier Aircraft Dehavilland DHC6-300 Twin Otter by Barry Blaisdell? Haven't been able to find reviews..probably just my fault...Or, if you have other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated..payware or freeware is not an issue...So far my add ons have been limited to the PMDG Beech 1900D 'Express' which I enjoy, and the FSD Avanti which.. I thought would keep me awake nights flying all over the place. Instead it kept me awake pulling my hair out because of the rather disfunctional autopilot.(others have had the same problems..but that's another story..) Anyway, I'm not ready for a 'fully functional', really complicated aircraft yet, not that far along the learning curve.. but would like a plane that is 'easy' to get into, like the 2 mentioned, but also on(in) which I can grow in my knowledge of more 'realistic' flying.And it seems as if turboprops fit the bill, although I didn't plan it that way..just happened...Many thanks,Bill Youhass

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Why ask for suggestions on the Veneaviones when you can get it for free? Take it for a spin, if you don't like it, delete it. :)Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Hey Bill, The Veneaviones Turbocommander 690B is very well done. I have spent some time flying it. It handles well, a good hand flyer. The textures do load somewhat slower when switching from 2d to VC, but I just stay in VC in this AC to avoid that issue. The night guage textures are good. It uses backlighting. Taxi speed is alittle challenging. Overall, for freeware, I think you will be satisfied. The auto pilot does work as well. Good luck. Best regards, moss1

Thank you for the input, Moss1,I'll get it in the next couple of days.I find taxiing(can't spell) in most aircraft...challenging.:-) best,Bill

Guest av84fun

<,Why ask for suggestions on the Veneaviones when you can get it for free? Take it for a spin, if you don't like it, delete it. >>On his behalf...and my own since I have asked similar questions, there are several hundred freeware aircraft to choose from...if not thousands.What's wrong with asking for guidance on narrowing the field?Just IMHO.Regards,Jim

Guest av84fun

<>Try using spot place view from directly behind (the space bar will get you there.) Then you can see much better what is going on.Or, use the overhead view and zoom in so you are looking down on top of the airplane. That will help too.Or, you can add a small window (one of the above) while you still remain in your cockpit view.Regards,Jim

Guest Herrie

Why not consider one of the Commanders of Milton Shupe et al? I think they feel a little more stable and easier to fly than the Venaviones. I did not test them really, so why not put them all in your hangar as one of the others in this thread already pointed out, and do the test yourselves? Herrie

I would recommend the Milton Shupe Aero Commander. Less of a framerate hog than the Venaviones model and the flight dynamics are alot more stable IMO.Adam

Thanks Adam for you input, and to the others who have help here. I'm new enough at this(although I did have FS98 on my ancient 333 ghz machine several years ago) that so far all but one of my posts have still been in the questioning and asking for help/suggestions catagory, and there will be more, I am sure. The one time I was able to reply to another 'seeker after info' felt good as I could repay in just a small why the help I have received. Sometimes for me even just the discourse and questioning can be...confidence building.What a great, generous community...Bill

"What a great, generous community"Bill, It is my pleasure to help everyone here with any knowledge or opinions I have to offer, and I'm sure alot of the forum members feel the way I do. Not knowing anyone here personally, I consider this my second family, as Flight Simulation has become one of the few things I enjoy so much. This is one place that we go to share with one another, and if the world could only be as we are here, it would be a much better place.:-) Best regards, moss1

I agree with you.The steel band community is similar. People all over the country/world, know each other.. and unless the discussion turns to who makes the best steel drums }( , the support is great..Although in Trinidad it is SERIOUS business... "don't mess wit me mon!"I love it... :) Bill

If you are looking for something well built that will teach you a lot about glass cockpits, you might want to have a look at the Flight1 Meridian. It is a fast turboprop single with a fabulously well designed cockpit and great handling.www.flight1.com

Bert

Hi Bert,Thank you for your suggestion..I've seen the Flight 1 Meridan on their site a couple times. Looks interesting to me... especially as I have no glass cockpit planes yet..FSD Avanti, PMDG Beech 1900..Premier Aircraft DeHavilland DH-6 Twin Otter...I'm at the bottom of the 'dark cockpit' curve, still doing most of my flying in the 'easy modes." Then as I have time, learning the full proceedures for each plane..Do you feel the Meridian is an aircraft that I can still hop into "engines running" and get flying simply, for those times when I just want to 'fly', as well as learn the plane from the 'ground up?Thanks again. I'll go have another look..Bill

I learned a lot by getting to know the Meridian. You can start with engines running (which is what I do 90% of the time) and initially either fly by hand, or try out the tutorial flight which is very detailed and will show you how to use the Garmin and Meggitt gauges to navigate with. From there, you will over time learn to love the on board navigation and autopilot systems which are all integrated.A few caveats: you need a reasonably fast system (2-3 Gig processor, decent video card, 512 Meg memory), you need to have the desire to learn how to use the avionics, you'll need the patience to read some manuals.If you would rather stay with simpler avionics, the PMDG 1900 is indeed a great aircraft and many other freeware and payware aircraft would be candidates. As an example, the Flight1 C441 might be your cup of tea (very nice cockpit with a simple avionics suite).But if you want to over time graduate to using top of the line avionics, I can think of no better plane than the Meridian. And as a bonus, it flies very nicely by hand.BTW, Flight1 cautions to start up the Meridian from a default situation, in the 2d cockpit, and I can attest that this rule is there for a reason. If you change aircraft in mid-flight, in spot view or such, this plane will crash FS9.

Bert